Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It may have originated from Dickens TB, but the term itself is being used by those I suspect not clued in on its origin at all. I see “gammon” being used to describe or even denigrate those of a certain skin colour and age. Which is… racist, let’s call it what it is.

It doesn’t insult me, but I find it interesting that those fighting the noble causes of eradicating prejudice and hate speech are quite comfortable using this term.

It’s just so hard being white :tantrum: can’t even say you’re English without the door being kicked down and arrested by the ”woke” police. Excuse me, there’s someone at the door… oh sh?;’ FB geondv md raw

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Funny how some people see other people having rights as the loss of their own rights. What a depressing way to look at the world.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why don't we just assume he/him or she/her is the default and then allow people to add different pronouns if they wish?

Surely the thread / argument should have stopped here!? Choose what you want to be and put it in your signature if you want to. Otherwise assume it’s he and she etc - just causes a binfest to try anything different :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s just so hard being white :tantrum: can’t even say you’re English without the door being kicked down and arrested by the ”woke” police. Excuse me, there’s someone at the door… oh sh?;’ FB geondv md raw

I don’t understand what you’re trying to communicate here. I’m opposed to all discrimination based on race or creed. Are you suggesting that racism is fine against certain colours?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A world made of PCs?

How would that work?

I've got nothing.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Of course some might say the Earth is a giant supercomputer designed to find the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don’t understand your point. I’m opposed to all discrimination based on race or creed. Are you suggesting that racism is fine against certain colours?

I was being facetious to prove a point. I have very little time or sympathy for middle aged white people bemoaning being called a ‘gammon’ when they quite happily, and very loudly, complain and accuse anything they disagree with, or anyone with a shred of decency, as being “woke”.

Moreover, if I, a white man, called another white person a “gammon”, am I being racist? ???
FWIW I find the whole gammon/ woke thing to be childish name calling that serves no real purpose but to garner a response, but I think you’re really reaching by trying to insinuate that it is in anyway racist.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Surely the thread / argument should have stopped here!? Choose what you want to be and put it in your signature if you want to. Otherwise assume it’s he and she etc - just causes a binfest to try anything different :shrug:

For the overwhelming majority, it's not primarily about letting people know what gender you are, it's about normalising it so that those people who are outside the normal he/she don't look weird by being the only people who include it.

It really isn't any effort or difficult, and should just be included in email signatures by default.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This board is PC world since the euros ended

PC World
A large place where no one knows what the **** they're on about, but pretend to be experts anyway.

Think you've got a pretty good analogy there actually.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I was being facetious to prove a point. I have very little time or sympathy for middle aged white people bemoaning being called a ‘gammon’ when they quite happily, and very loudly, complain and accuse anything they disagree with, or anyone with a shred of decency, as being “woke”.

Moreover, if I, a white man, called another white person a “gammon”, am I being racist? ???
FWIW I find the whole gammon/ woke thing to be childish name calling that serves no real purpose but to garner a response, but I think you’re really reaching by trying to insinuate that it is in anyway racist.

Like I said I’m not offended by it. But yeah regardless if you agree with someone’s politics or not, if you’re using a term to reference someone’s skin colour of course it’s a racist term (I appreciate you are most likely not inherently racist).

I’m opposed to any and all racial discrimination and I find the double standard by some interesting.

I do agree with you that the name calling on both sides doesn’t help anyone.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Like I said, I’m not offended by it. But yes regardless if you agree with someone’s politics or not, if you’re using a term to reference someone’s skin colour of course it’s a racist term.

I’m opposed to any and all racial discrimination and I find the double standard interesting.

As I say, reaching. Any attempt to imply it is racism, is merely indulging in manufactured victim hood, which is exactly what people on the receiving end of that childish insult want.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Like I said I’m not offended by it. But yeah regardless if you agree with someone’s politics or not, if you’re using a term to reference someone’s skin colour of course it’s a racist term (I appreciate you are most likely not inherently racist).

I’m opposed to any and all racial discrimination and I find the double standard by some interesting.

Until very recently I have used the term “gammon”. I think it’s modern interpretation is slightly racist and I have decided to stop using it. Even though it’s white on white racism. Can that be a thing? I suppose everything is a thing these days.
And anyway, there’s plenty of other words that it can be replaced with;
**** ****** **** ****er
**** faced **** ****er
**** hole
**** ****er

:lolol:

All in jest. I mean no harm.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Until very recently I have used the term “gammon”. I think it’s modern interpretation is slightly racist and I have decided to stop using it. Even though it’s white on white racism. Can that be a thing? I suppose everything is a thing these days.
**** hole

Well my pronouns are **** , wanker or tosser , any are acceptable

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As I say, reaching. Any attempt to imply it is racism, is merely indulging in manufactured victim hood, which is exactly what people on the receiving end of that childish insult want.

So you don’t think it’s possible to be racist against white people. We will have to agree to disagree.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
**** ****** **** ****er
**** faced **** ****er
**** hole

Exactly. Plenty of generic insults to go around [emoji38]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
For the overwhelming majority, it's not primarily about letting people know what gender you are, it's about normalising it so that those people who are outside the normal he/she don't look weird by being the only people who include it.

It really isn't any effort or difficult, and should just be included in email signatures by default.

No big one and I get what you’re saying. I haven’t looked at the ins and outs (and don’t have email for work as it goes) but is this ‘non-binary’ or whatever - people who don’t think they belong to either gender? Is there research to how many of them would like this and how many say it would help them feel included? Are they going to write ‘they’ after their names? So many questions…

The ‘ladies and gentlemen’ train announcement thing was ridiculously OTT and I think many felt the same but I’d have no problem with some words on an email to make people feel more comfortable IF IT WILL ACTUALLY HELP!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here