Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mindless vandalism of a defibrillator at Buxted FC

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
1.4 million views on Twitter and on bbc news page - shame it’s for a negative story but as I said, all publicity and all that!

It just got mentioned on the BBC 5 Live lunchtime news.

You might get someone to sponsor your socks for next season, Sheebs?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This meeting is a tad dull.

So here is a thought. A defibrillator can be reprogrammed to deliver a shock at the end of repolarization, and this can send a heart from normal rhythm to VF. If this happens you have about 8 seconds to beg to be given a defibrillating shock before losing consciousness. By thus means it is possible to tip a heart in and out of VF numerous times. You can guess the rest.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This has made me so angry, can't concentrate on work now.

I just cannot fathom why they did it, with glee, and with the final insult of spitting in the box. It wasn't as if they were 2 drunk lads at the end of a heavy evening (still no excuse), they looked sober. I'm utterly disgusted, I hope they feel real genuine shame and are made to pay (literally) for their actions.

Sober ? The lad was swaying all over the place - pissed or high for sure.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shame we can’t put em in stocks though and throw rotten fruit at them. I imagine their parents won’t be best pleased [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Social media is the modern day equivalent of the stocks, except people throw words instead of rotten fruit and vegetables. And it's not just people from your village that get involved, it's the whole country.

Staggering stupidity.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some context is required, when I was 16 I was going to away games with my mates, I’ve seen it all train windows smashed, fire extinguishers let of on trains ( what if there was an actual fire) mindless vandalism a regular occurrence by Albion fans older than us at the time. I’m guessing some of them post on here some maybe even calling for blood on this thread. The point the majority have all done irresponsible things as young men, let’s not forget that before we call for over the top punishment.

I'm with you here, despite our usual differences.

Obviously this is an rotten incident, but I bet some of the folk calling for extreme punishment will be ignoring their brains that say 'do you remember when you were 17, drunk, and did that with your mates ?'... It's the hypocrisy I hate.

People forget that the punishment these days gets enacted from the moment the footage goes up. Their names will be out there and everyone will know. Not like the old days. It will affect their job prospects, everything. It's not something that will quietly go away in the deep pages of an old newspaper only accessible in a library somewhere. Even then they wouldn't be named if under 18.

Now before the Motte Bailey crew come out and say I am justifying their behaviour, I am not. I am merely saying that the humiliation I have described above will be a life sentence that quietly sits in their background. I cannot see why folk don't get this. So if they are prosecuted, which doubtless they will be, I would focus on a rehabilitation that involves payback. First thing to do is stick them on a First Aid course. Then they can do some work at Buxted Park that might need doing. Some voluntary work for The BHF might be a good idea too. Make sure they lose plenty of weekends to it.

If they then do this sort of stuff again it becomes a different story.

They should have to give back equally for what they did. But I refuse to be a part of this hypocritical, self righteous medieval society that the online world has created. So my pitchfork is free for anyone who wants it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

So here is a thought. A defibrillator can be reprogrammed to deliver a shock at the end of repolarization, and this can send a heart from normal rhythm to VF. If this happens you have about 8 seconds to beg to be given a defibrillating shock before losing consciousness. By thus means it is possible to tip a heart in and out of VF numerous times. You can guess the rest.

When we were trained how to deploy a defib we were told to take a moment to remove any metal necklaces first, otherwise the casualty may find they have scaring were the metal is in contact with their skin. Same for bras containing wire.

The kit also contained a bic razor to manscape anyone with a particularly hairy chest too, to ensure a good contact for the pads

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People forget that the punishment these days gets enacted from the moment the footage goes up. Their names will be out there and everyone will know. Not like the old days. It will affect their job prospects, everything. It's not something that will quietly go away in the deep pages of an old newspaper only accessible in a library somewhere. Even then they wouldn't be named if under 18.

Now before the Motte Bailey crew come out and say I am justifying their behaviour, I am not. I am merely saying that the humiliation I have described above will be a life sentence that quietly sits in their background. I cannot see why folk don't get this. So if they are prosecuted, which doubtless they will be, I would focus on a rehabilitation that involves payback. First thing to do is stick them on a First Aid course. Then they can do some work at Buxted Park that might need doing. Some voluntary work for The BHF might be a good idea too. Make sure they lose plenty of weekends to it.

The male was filming himself on his own phone. Now whether he intended to put it on Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp or whatever the youngsters use now, is speculation.

I fully agree with you about Community Service. Many of the posts on this thread regarding punishment are way out (including mine about the stocks).

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I'm picturing this...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Horrendous to see. What absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Interesting reading about punishments. I worked with someone for a while who was a volunteer in some youth justice capacity. He said his experience after many years was that if you can keep people out of prison and young offender's institutions and instead find a sentence that occupied their time and had them putting back into their communities then the majority would end up leading lives that don't diminish society even if they don't always add to it either. He reckoned giving them responsibility almost counter-intuitively made them step up and made many change their behaviours. Conversely a custodial sentence almost always meant an entire life continuing on a path of criminality. Stats bear this out as far as I can tell. While the desire for punishment is strong and I personally quite like the idea of bringing back stocks and rotten fruit, to break the cycle the desire for rehabilitation has to be stronger.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Some context is required, when I was 16 I was going to away games with my mates, I’ve seen it all train windows smashed, fire extinguishers let of on trains ( what if there was an actual fire) mindless vandalism a regular occurrence by Albion fans older than us at the time. I’m guessing some of them post on here some maybe even calling for blood on this thread. The point the majority have all done irresponsible things as young men, let’s not forget that before we call for over the top punishment.

Happy to be flamed, but I agree. We can't allow these sort of acts to go unpunished but calling for a ten year sentence or severe beating, really?

Sometimes an appropriate punishment can bring a realisation to someone and could be a turning point. The lowest level of sentencing for manslaughter is two years and the maximum ten years, they must be punished, but let's keep some reality on what the sentence should be, I suspect in the cold light of day they're very sorry and recognise they're going to be in deep poop as it is! If, and it's a big if, there's no previous there is no need for this to be custodial, it's vandalism, it's stupid and it's mindless but we need to keep perspective if this is a first offence.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It just got mentioned on the BBC 5 Live lunchtime news.

You might get someone to sponsor your socks for next season, Sheebs?

Ha well we have some very good sponsors. I am going to suggest some sort of club or charity fund raiser off the back of this to make something good come out of it - why not make the most out of a shit situation eh…!?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think anybody sees incarceration as a cheap option to community service and probation!

You're either kidding me or you haven't read my post properly. I made it clear that too many voters in the UK want a minimum spend on the convicted. Obviously community service and probation (or just letting them go free) are cheaper options than prison, but prison is seen as a cheaper (and more retributional) option than seeking the source of the mindset that allowed the crime (sociological and psychological intervention), and implementing the training and help necessary (with the addition of imprisonment, by another name if necessary, during the process if the criminal is remotely dangerous or that their 'freedom of movement' would put the public at risk). At the end of the day some specific punishment for the purpose of punishment may be appropriate. But in the UK we have an adversarial sentencing process with the public clamouring for maximum punishment ('cut their goolies off') without any desire to spend the money necessary to ensure the criminal is no danger to others (or himself/herself) when released. And yet the sentences often seem lenient owing to the desire within the judicial system to not imprison people for too long (or at all if possible). Almost nobody gets the right outcome - consciousless criminals don't care about their sentence and see prison as just another place for making money and exploiting people; the weak are bullied and may kill themselves; the stupid learn nothing from their sentence. In fact the only type of person who might befit from prison is a law abiding and law-respecting citizen - the least likely type to end up there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Horrendous to see. What absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Interesting reading about punishments. I worked with someone for a while who was a volunteer in some youth justice capacity. He said his experience after many years was that if you can keep people out of prison and young offender's institutions and instead find a sentence that occupied their time and had them putting back into their communities then the majority would end up leading lives that don't diminish society even if they don't always add to it either. He reckoned giving them responsibility almost counter-intuitively made them step up and made many change their behaviours. Conversely a custodial sentence almost always meant an entire life continuing on a path of criminality. Stats bear this out as far as I can tell. While the desire for punishment is strong and I personally quite like the idea of bringing back stocks and rotten fruit, to break the cycle the desire for rehabilitation has to be stronger.

When I was a teenager I knew of a couple of people who were given the choice of Borstal or the armed forces, after offending. Joining up often meant them stepping up and starting to work as a team. They had to be responsible or suffer from the others they let down.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Bring back the BIRCH, that will learn them ruffians

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know what the charges will be or what the sentencing guidelines for the crime will be but for me, a short custodial sentence, may be 14 days followed by community service. The custodial sentence will give them a taste of what life could be like if they continue on the path they're on and the community service is obviously putting something back into the community they have now damaged.

If it is shown that they knew about Eriksen then that makes the crime even more heinous as they know the consequences if a defibrillator is not available.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have always said that if anyone hurt my family I would feel like I'd want to plot my revenge, with a scale disproportionate, but I'd expect the state to stop me. We have organized ourselves into a society to protect and promote individual advantage through co-operation, using laws to mark the boundaries of deviance.

Unfortunately there is a strong streak through the Brits of taking the law into one's own hands, and demanding disproportionate retribution with a strog element of punishment, and this is typically justified as being the deterrent that would have prevented it happening in the first place.

This pair of fools didn't think about consequences.

Unfortunately, again, the average taxpayer isn't keen on the expense that would be needed to bring young people to a point where they won't reoffend, and would rather see them locked up (and if someone buggers them or kills them, tough) to be released later where the chances of a 'lesson learned' are no greater than the chance they will be hardened, do worse crime, live off benefits, or kill themselves.

Yes, my id wants blood and revenge, but I try to ignore my id. :shrug:

Not sure the idea of vengeance is a 'Brit' thing. Suspect you will find it is a natural reaction to injustice, perceived or real, irrespective of your nationality.

As for 'Brits' seeking disproportionate penalties, I would suggest you'll find the same attitude pretty much worldwide.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure the idea of vengeance is a 'Brit' thing. Suspect you will find it is a natural reaction to injustice, perceived or real, irrespective of your nationality.

As for 'Brits' seeking disproportionate penalties, I would suggest you'll find the same attitude pretty much worldwide.

This.

It’s more that the Dutch and 4 Nordic nations are the exception to everywhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here