Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But I did NOT say we got it completely wrong. You need to learn to read before you make more of a fool of yourself. Do the maths [emoji1782]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost entirely, completely....:shrug:

almost entirely wrong.PNG

OK, fair enough. You are almost entirely tedious with your striker obsession. Happy now?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out of interest, when WOULD you consider us to be 'established' at PL level?

Oldham had 7 seasons in the top flight before disappearing into oblivion. Wimbledon had 10 or 11. Both clubs were always looking like trouble was on its way so, factoring in everything....at least 6, and with two decent mid table plus finishes next season and the season after. Then I might start feeling a little more established.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oldham had 7 seasons in the top flight before disappearing into oblivion. Wimbledon had 10 or 11. Both clubs were always looking like trouble was on its way so, factoring in everything....at least 6, and with two decent mid table plus finishes next season and the season after. Then I might start feeling a little more established.

All of this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And another season of struggle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All i'd say about that it that it's a young team for this level. They will get better year on year.

If we did keep our squad together, there's every reason to think we'd do better next year than this.

I reckon Andone is basically going to be the new striker

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All i'd say about that it that it's a young team for this level. They will get better year on year.

If we did keep our squad together, there's every reason to think we'd do better next year than this.

I reckon Andone is basically going to be the new striker

You may be right. The one thing that all young teams lack is consistency, and after another season together we may acheive more of that next year.

I still have faith in Andone and think he could yet prove to be an asset to the club, after all he is still on our payroll so why not take a chance and play him. He cost us very little so we are'nt losing out either way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You may be right. The one thing that all young teams lack is consistency, and after another season together we may acheive more of that next year.

I still have faith in Andone and think he could yet prove to be an asset to the club, after all he is still on our payroll so why not take a chance and play him. He cost us very little so we are'nt losing out either way.

Yeh and I think the general approach will be that we can improve the side by getting Lamptey, March and Andone fit.

I think we'll only sign someone likely to be starting if we find an absolute bargain from a side somewhere in Europe who are absolutely desperate to sell to keep their club afloat. But that will be the situation for many clubs this summer

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I realise I'm going to sound like a madman by suggesting a striker who hasn't scored this season as our way of solving our goalscoring problems, but I wonder whether we could get Rhian Brewster on the cheap. He hasn't scored at Sheff Utd but they have been awful. Not scoring in a team that doesn't create chances isn't really surprisng.

I don't think you become a bad player overnight, and he was very highly thought of at Liverpool. If Sheff Utd's faith him as gone, and they're looking to save money following relegation I wonder whether we could pick him up for 15 million. I think that would be worth a punt. I think if a team creates chances he would score goals, and with confidence growing he could develop into a great player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Big summer trading ahead. A lot of players will be on the exit list - many of these on loan out now.

A couple of young players 'in' to bolster the squad - Khadra and Ostigård.

Also 3-4 senior signings (striker, LB, 'winger' / attacker, maybe GK ), as well as a couple more for the future season production line.

Note : We will not be "concentrating" on getting the striker signing in first before we address the rest of the incoming recruitment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I realise I'm going to sound like a madman by suggesting a striker who hasn't scored this season as our way of solving our goalscoring problems, but I wonder whether we could get Rhian Brewster on the cheap. He hasn't scored at Sheff Utd but they have been awful. Not scoring in a team that doesn't create chances isn't really surprisng.

I don't think you become a bad player overnight, and he was very highly thought of at Liverpool. If Sheff Utd's faith him as gone, and they're looking to save money following relegation I wonder whether we could pick him up for 15 million. I think that would be worth a punt. I think if a team creates chances he would score goals, and with confidence growing he could develop into a great player.

1. Brewster is only 1 year into a 5-year contract at Sheff Utd. That contract includes a £40 million buy-back clause for Liverpool that expires 30 June 2023.
2. Brewster scored 10 in 20 on loan at Swansea in the Championship.
3. Sheff Utd have a realistic chance of bouncing back straight away, especially as they will get their injured players back.

For these three reasons alone Sheff Utd would be mad to get rid of Brewster now.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I think Eddie Nketiah is a realistic option for us. Read reports earlier in the season that he was potentially surplus to requirements at Arsenal as they try to raise funds. With news that Folarin Balogun (who IIRC we were also linked with) is finally set to sign a new contract I think this one could be a goer. I'd imagine that Balogun has been given reassurances of playing time in the first team so it could be Eddie that makes way.

Assuming he's sensible with his wage demands I think we'd be a good fit for him too (see Lamptey as an example and also the hatful of chances we create for him to fill his boots with).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
1. Brewster is only 1 year into a 5-year contract at Sheff Utd. That contract includes a £40 million buy-back clause for Liverpool that expires 30 June 2023.
2. Brewster scored 10 in 20 on loan at Swansea in the Championship.
3. Sheff Utd have a realistic chance of bouncing back straight away, especially as they will get their injured players back.

For these three reasons alone Sheff Utd would be mad to get rid of Brewster now.

I did say if we could get him on the cheap, and you're probably right they would'nt want to get rid of him just yet.

My thinking was he's a young lad who's spent his whole career at Liverpool prior to Sheff Utd, he won the U17 world cup, and has been touted for big things, and maybe he won't fancy the championship. His stock has taken a hit so the buy back clause of 40 million looks like something a very long way off. If Sheff Utd could recoup most of the money and shift his wages, maybe they'd sell to a Premier league club, rather than keep an unhappy player? But again what you said makes more sense that they wouldn't offload cheaply. At the very least they'd want their money back.

I do think he'd be a useful player in a side that creates chances. I think he's in the Tammy Abraham mould.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
In

Striker (or keep Andone if we're being cheap)
Traditional style left back for use in a back 4
Winger
Experienced goalkeeper

Out

Duffy
Ali J
Izquierdo
Locadia
Connolly (loan)
Propper
Ryan

Lots of decisions to be made on our loan army as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think if we do sell Bissouma for the "won't get much change out of £40-50 million" fee Ex-Arsenal pundit Kevin Campbell mentioned last night on Sky then we could do worse than buy Maitland-Niles, who is excelling in his preferred position of central midfield under Sam Allardyce.

Obviously, he also gives you cover at both LWB and RWB too and would seem to be tailor-made for the Albion. Apparently, we made enquiries last summer and if Bissouma does join Arsenal then you might think the negotiations between clubs could take place simultaneously.

The only problem here is that Maitland-Niles will be greatly sought after and in a strong position to upgrade his £35K a week salary. However, it looks like Biss is on £25K pw and out of contract Izquierdo is on £45K pw so we have scope to manage the c. £50K a week Maitland-Niles wages he'll command.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here