[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I want a quality new striker too. But easy to say in hindsight though isn’t it?

Toney is still only a championship player. As was Maupay. The gulf between Championship and PL is otherworldly. It’s one thing banging in goals against Rotherham, Wycombe and Preston Center backs compared to facing established internationally capped defenders with Champions league experience most weeks.

If we’d signed Toney and he only scored what Welbeck has scored (4 goals or whatever). No doubt people would criticise the club for only signing a Championship striker.

I agree with you that the club have been superb at recruiting everywhere else, but I’m now aligned with the thought that recruiting strikers, with our wage limits, is just a very very complex and tricky position to get right.

Spot on

No way would Toney have been premier league ready this season.He would have to have been loaned out to a Championship club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm more than happy to be wrong, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time! I'm long past any inferiority complex at this point though. This club is a serious football club. The infrastructure at our club is a match for just about everyone else with very few exceptions. Our stadium is a beautiful place to play football, our City is a beautiful place to live and raise your family. We're London adjacent, we're established in the Premier League and our squad gets better and better every season. We boast Adam Lallana who comes across as being particularly inspiring and he would be a feather in our cap for any player negotiations we're involved in. With a bit of luck, we'll keep Danny Welbeck for another season and maybe the opportunity to work with him would appeal to Abraham?

What we also offer, aside from our Belgian International playmaker and our Argentinian International playmaker, is the genuine offer of regular game time. Abraham can't get in the Chelsea team, but he would get in ours. It was enough to convince Tariq Lamptey to make the move. No, he wouldn't be paid as much here as he would be at Chelsea and maybe that will be a big stumbling block for him. Or maybe he wants to play and would accept the thick end of £80k a week as being not too bad. Personally, I think we're an ideal building block for a young player's career - especially one who isn't getting the gametime they want to have.

Mmmmmn.....no, no we aren't.

Lamptey is 20 and had made one appearance for Chelsea when we signed him
Abraham is 23, has apeared 56 times for Chelsea and has scored 21 goals for them. He also has 6 England caps.

Abraham won't be taking his inspiration from Lamptey, I would have thought. Feel free to bounce me when the willowy frontman is photod holding aloft his stripey shirt at the end of May :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And we have almost ENTIRELY got it wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How wrong do you think the clubs below us have got it? Presumably up to 110% and beyond, actually sucking rightness out of the future and converting it to tears and ashes.

Last edited:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Maupay’s on course for 10 PL goals again this season (maybe more). Surely he’s been a successful recruitment?

And have to admit I was not the biggest fan of the Welbeck signing, but will hold my hands up he’s been different class in recent games and won us some crucial points.

I am not the guys biggest fan but at £16 m Mapuay was a good signing! An up-to-speed Zeqiri up front with him and we could be in business

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I am not the guys biggest fan but at £16 m Mapuay was a good signing! An up-to-speed Zeqiri up front with him and we could be in business

It is easy to forget that Zequiri has shown flashes of real promise.

And with the talent like Zak and others coming through in the youth team, it’s not going to be long until we do crack it and have an array of top quality forwards.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
It is easy to forget that Zequiri has shown flashes of real promise.

And with the talent like Zak and others coming through in the youth team, it’s not going to be long until we do crack it and have an array of top quality forwards.

Yep.

Its not going to stop the doom-mongers though is it?

Perhaps we are one of the premier league clubs in for Aguero!! Lol

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Watched Toney the other day , cheap Zaha copy , dives well but bitches and moans all the time . I once hoped we would go for him , not now .
Uncle Tony knows the score and will see us right this time round , i can see a surprise on the horizon .

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How wrong do you think the clubs below us have got it? Presumably up to 110% and beyond, actually sucking rightness out of the future and converting it to tears and ashes.

Yes, you are right, let’s follow the examples set by the teams below us. That makes obvious sense.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Maupay’s on course for 10 PL goals again this season (maybe more). Surely he’s been a successful recruitment?

And have to admit I was not the biggest fan of the Welbeck signing, but will hold my hands up he’s been different class in recent games and won us some crucial points.

I agree that Maupay is the only striker signing that we have made since we joined the elite who could be said to be good (he is the only reason I don’t say we have got it entirely wrong). I am worried that we will re-sign Welbs, clearly our second best striker option, then he will spend too much time on the treatment table.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think you will find Nunez was from Uruguay and an international.Are you seriously suggesting we should have ignored him to sign a player from the EFL and save a few quid ?.NSC would have had a meltdown!! Sometimes the club cannot win.

My mantra is right player at the right price.Perhaps we do not need a striker. Swanny could be right!!

Swanny is wrong. And, yes, we were idiots not to sign Toney. And, yes, he is a risk (even now, more so when we should have signed him).

Oh, and he (Nunez you say) was playing in Spain, not even top flight IIRC (so risky too). Quite frankly, I couldn’t care less if he came from Outer Mongolia or Timbuktu ! [emoji6]

Last edited:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Swanny is wrong. And, yes, we were idiots not to sign Toney. And, yes, he is a risk (even now, more so when we should have signed him).

Oh, and he (Nunez you say) was playing in Spain, not even top flight IIRC. Quite frankly, I couldn’t care less if he came from Outer Mongolia or Timbuktu ! [emoji6]

Lol

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
b.w.2 v Vagabond really is a new low for this forum, f*ck me.

Really!? That is some statement. I don’t think you have really thought that through! [emoji6]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, you are right, let’s follow the examples set by the teams below us. That makes obvious sense.

:mad:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was commenting on your maths. If we have it completely wrong (100%) then perhaps clubs below us are more than 110% wrong. It was a joke.

I really shouldn't have to be explaining this sort of stuff to a grown man.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Milik of Napoli and Marenga of Porto contracts are up in July .

Both are quality experienced strikers and no doubt lots of Premier league clubs will be keeping tabs on them .

If we stay up then I see no reason why we shouldn't be one of those clubs trying to sign one of these , Milik could be tempted knowing we have given Moder the chance along with the developing Karbownik.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Milik of Napoli and Marenga of Porto contracts are up in July .

Both are quality experienced strikers and no doubt lots of Premier league clubs will be keeping tabs on them .

If we stay up then I see no reason why we shouldn't be one of those clubs trying to sign one of these , Milik could be tempted knowing we have given Moder the chance along with the developing Karbownik.

Good call with Milik - he’s currently on loan at Marseille so clearly not wanted at Napoli

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports