Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Andone I think will leave.

I’d happily swap Maupay plus cash for any sort of upgrade.

Maupay is okay outside the box, but incredibly average within it and if we are to progress, that is the area we need to improve. We can talk goals from midfield until we’re ‘blue in the face’, but we need to put away our chances when we get them - and we don’t.

I agree, goals from midfield come when the defending team has an in-form striker or 2 to worry about and start to leave spaces because they're focussed on the forwards. I watch teams against us and they're not worried about Maupay. He gets a bit of space in build up play because they're comfortable to leave him 1 on 1 or even in a bit of space. You need that forward that sends a bit of panic through a team.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Double figures last season

Chance to repeat that this season

How many would you like him to get ?

Missing out the glaringly obvious though that massages those stats, penalties.

He's really not very good in front of goal from open play this season as his muffed effort against Everton (a regular occurance) and his too often wayward passes unfortunately show.

I'd love for him to be the sort of Player he was at Brentford or the odd flash we saw last season, for whatever reason he's become more consistently not that player. Cant fault his effort, I like him (like CMS), but his end product is not up to it for whatever reason. Connolly isnt currently good enough, Ali J isnt good enough period, Zeqiri is still a bit raw and lacks experience and Maupay (of the current starters) is the weaker link imho.

We have Andone in the wings which is good for competiton.... but the thing most Brighton fans say and 99% of pundits (that we dont do enough in the final 1/3 or score enough based on our XG), is the main issue to stifle our progress and that will dog us until its fixed..... and either Maupay needs to get himself back to levels of consistency he showed in parts last season or thats the key area we need to fix imho..... Unless we want the same again next season.

UTA

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In

Striker (or keep Andone if we're being cheap)
Traditional style left back for use in a back 4
Winger
Experienced goalkeeper

Out

Duffy
Ali J
Izquierdo
Locadia
Connolly (loan)
Propper
Ryan

Lots of decisions to be made on our loan army as well.

maybe just being sentimental, but hope Izzy gets another year to re establish himself....helluva player before his injury

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
maybe just being sentimental, but hope Izzy gets another year to re establish himself....helluva player before his injury

Me too. But the more he sits on the bench and doesnt even get 5 minutes in a match makes me think that Potter has decided he's not upto it. I hope once we're mathematically safe we'll see him get some game time to prove himself.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing

Would like to see him out for us again to see if he’s still got pace, which was his main asset, but am a bit dubious about his ability at this level as he always struck me as a bit of a one-trick pony; gallop away at a rate of knots, cut inside and shoot (usually way over the bar).

Reminded me a bit of Lualua who I also loved but......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
[tweet]1382036162366353411[/tweet]

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Would like to see him out for us again to see if he’s still got pace, which was his main asset, but am a bit dubious about his ability at this level as he always struck me as a bit of a one-trick pony; gallop away at a rate of knots, cut inside and shoot (usually way over the bar).

Reminded me a bit of Lualua who I also loved but......

Maybe Izzy's naivety with his one trick has developed in the same way the whole team has. Lots of time on the sidelines will have given him time to rethink his approach to games.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Ike Ugbo. 22 years old. Came through Chelsea academy and the England Youth set up. Currently on loan at Brugge where he has 15 goals in 31 appearances. Contract expires 2022 and Chelsea have indicated they are open to sell this summer.

https://youtu.be/nxw7xY8kJew

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Ike Ugbo. 22 years old. Came through Chelsea academy and the England Youth set up. Currently on loan at Brugge where he has 15 goals in 31 appearances. Contract expires 2022 and Chelsea have indicated they are open to sell this summer.

https://youtu.be/nxw7xY8kJew

That goal return is particularly impressive as he's playing for Cercle Brugge, who are fighting relegation.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm detecting a lack of faith on here in the possibilities offered by a Zeqiri-Connolly strike partnership ...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm detecting a lack of faith on here in the possibilities offered by a Zeqiri-Connolly strike partnership ...
Not sure why you're not including maupay and Wellbeck in there.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Zequiri has potential and I like what I’ve seen of him, but he’s barely getting 2 minutes at the end of the odd game at the moment, and you think he should be first choice?

We can and should keep our existing options. It’s not an either or, but augment them with a different sort of striker. A poacher or target man type would be a good compliment.

Machi

Sep 18, 2020
Hove

I'm fine with Zeqiri but have lack of faith in Connolly to be honest. He have a mentality of 14 years old child. At least his social media activity (especially Instagram) is definition of everything what is wrong with young players these days

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm fine with Zeqiri but have lack of faith in Connolly to be honest. He have a mentality of 14 years old child. At least his social media activity (especially Instagram) is definition of everything what is wrong with young players these days
I wonder if Connolly has got a bit too 'tabloid' for the club. Wouldn't be 100% surprised if he is shipped out.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
If we’re not going to be signing a striker upgrade for next season, I personally would prefer to see Khadra moved to the first team squad in place of Connolly

I don’t think he’s got the right attitude and needs a bit of guidance and not from Maupay or Andone that’s for sure

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If we’re not going to be signing a striker upgrade for next season, I personally would prefer to see Khadra moved to the first team squad in place of Connolly

I don’t think he’s got the right attitude and needs a bit of guidance and not from Maupay or Andone that’s for sure

Bit of a weird one, but what do we know who see nothing of the training sessions.....

But both Khadra and Karbo in their fleeting appearances played well (i thought Karbo was great in the cup) and yet neither getting a sniff??

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
All i'd say about that it that it's a young team for this level. They will get better year on year.

If we did keep our squad together, there's every reason to think we'd do better next year than this.

I reckon Andone is basically going to be the new striker

I think you are correct about Andone, but I also think that is a mistake. Similarly I don’t agree we should renew Welbs contract but rather invest in a new younger striker likely to be able to play more games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here