Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why can't Percy.....

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
My first touch is as good as Swiss Andy's. And even Percy's biggest fans say he can't finish.

Connolly gets into the best scoring positions of any of our strikers and usually hits the target (despite the terrible miss on the weekend). But can be pretty anonymous for long periods. Maupay does the most work around the ground but makes terrible decisions once inside the box. Wellbeck has scored 30 odd times for England but is hard to see how.

I don't think Potter is making any glaring errors. It's all about compensating for his player's limitations.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I am because he is interesting and knows more about football than the majority of posters on here.

The personal abuse Swansman gets on here at times is becoming tiresome. It’s unnecessary and misguided. It would be a sadder and less educated board if he stopped posting on here.
It seems he can give it out but we are not allowed to have an opinion back .

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
16 times. 12 competitive goals, 4 in friendlies.

Explaining how Welbeck has scored so many goals for England becomes slightly easier when you look at the opponents. 3 against mighty San Marino, two more against the giants of Moldova, one each against the footballing Gods of Lithuania, Malta, Scotland and Slovenia.

Fair play to him, he has also netted against Belgium, Sweden (2) and Switzerland (2). But in most cases his stats have been padded against the equivalent of lower-division or non-League opposition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am because he is interesting and knows more about football than the majority of posters on here.

The personal abuse Swansman gets on here at times is becoming tiresome. It’s unnecessary and misguided. It would be a sadder and less educated board if he stopped posting on here.

Agree. He sometimes spouts a bit of crap, but on the whole he's a pretty reasonable poster, and posts some interesting ... err .... posts. Gets some unnecessary and and rather churlish flak on here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Explaining how Welbeck has scored so many goals for England becomes slightly easier when you look at the opponents. 3 against mighty San Marino, two more against the giants of Moldova, one each against the footballing Gods of Lithuania, Malta, Scotland and Slovenia.

Fair play to him, he has also netted against Belgium, Sweden (2) and Switzerland (2). But in most cases his stats have been padded against the equivalent of lower-division or non-League opposition.

In the same way Rooney scored more than anyone else, but almost exclusively against milkmen postmen and taxi drivers.

No disrrespect to other professions.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Seen nothing from Percy to suggest he's any better than what we've got, in fact, in games he's played so far against lower opposition in cup, he's struggled to make any impact.

You mean 1 game against Newport on a sandpit pitch?

He looked pretty good against City. Let’s judge him when he’s had a run of games, like Alexis, he’s adapting to a new country and a new tougher league.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
You mean 1 game against Newport on a sandpit pitch?

He looked pretty good against City. Let’s judge him when he’s had a run of games, like Alexis, he’s adapting to a new country and a new tougher league.

Correct. For those doubting his ability, they should go and watch his performances against Real Madrid and PSG in last year's Champions League.

The only reason he hasn't played more for us is because he is still acclimatising.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My first touch is as good as Swiss Andy's. And even Percy's biggest fans say he can't finish.

Connolly gets into the best scoring positions of any of our strikers and usually hits the target (despite the terrible miss on the weekend). But can be pretty anonymous for long periods. Maupay does the most work around the ground but makes terrible decisions once inside the box. Wellbeck has scored 30 odd times for England but is hard to see how.

I don't think Potter is making any glaring errors. It's all about compensating for his player's limitations.
It's particularly difficult to see how because he hasn't actually done that at all. He's scored 16 for England, with 11 of them coming against San Marino, Scotland, Moldova, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta and Costa Rica. He played 11 seasons for Man Utd and Arsenal and didn't score 10 league goals in a single season in all that time. Last time out, he was at Watford. Played half their games and scored a princely TWO goals. Great. I have absolutely no idea why we signed him because he is (and always was) absolute shite and I said as much on here when we signed him.

I agree with most of the rest of what you say, although I'd say that Percy Tau has looked particularly poor in all but one game I've seen him play. Honestly, I think Ali J is a better player than Tau, and I'm not particularly impressed with what he's offered so far either. Swiss Andy started off looking like a very ordinary immobile Championship standard striker, but he's definitely improved with every passing game and I genuinely believe he might have something to offer next season.

If it seems like I'm a bit down on some of our players, well it's because I am. There is no hiding the fact that our front players are almost all absolute gash - the exceptions being Maupay who I'm also losing patience with but I like his work rate, Swiss Andy who continues to improve, and the Polish lads who haven't had much chance yet but have shown glimpses. The rest of our squad is exceptional compared to what we might reasonably expect.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's particularly difficult to see how because he hasn't actually done that at all. He's scored 16 for England, with 11 of them coming against San Marino, Scotland, Moldova, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta and Costa Rica. He played 11 seasons for Man Utd and Arsenal and didn't score 10 league goals in a single season in all that time. Last time out, he was at Watford. Played half their games and scored a princely TWO goals. Great. I have absolutely no idea why we signed him because he is (and always was) absolute shite and I said as much on here when we signed him.

I agree with most of the rest of what you say, although I'd say that Percy Tau has looked particularly poor in all but one game I've seen him play. Honestly, I think Ali J is a better player than Tau, and I'm not particularly impressed with what he's offered so far either. Swiss Andy started off looking like a very ordinary immobile Championship standard striker, but he's definitely improved with every passing game and I genuinely believe he might have something to offer next season.

If it seems like I'm a bit down on some of our players, well it's because I am. There is no hiding the fact that our front players are almost all absolute gash - the exceptions being Maupay who I'm also losing patience with but I like his work rate, Swiss Andy who continues to improve, and the Polish lads who haven't had much chance yet but have shown glimpses. The rest of our squad is exceptional compared to what we might reasonably expect.

HArsh, but almost fair

defensively the prime objective is not conceding . . . . when it comes to attack, there's more creastivity so It must be harder for players to understand and read each other, or to get the chemistry right between players.

Maupay has had far more than his fair share of opportunity and not delivered much. Torssard, hot/cold no one else has had consistent game time.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here