Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Duke & Duchess of Sussex

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The press has an attitude to the royals that matches that of the public; one of contempt. I think most of us are quite happy to see the media make the royal family work for all that privilege and if that involves them being prodded then so be it. They love being celebrities but can’t take the press that goes with it. Tough.

As we know, Megan was creating a brand and she found the ideal business partner to take that brand to the next level, even convinced him to leave Blighty!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That’s not what happened though. The letter was publicized by her father. The Mail didn’t steal it. James O’Brien has the same agenda he always has

The letter ended up in the hands of the Sunday Mail, at different times I am quite sure many royal letters and notes have fallen in to the hands of the papers, they are not forced to publish them or build a story around them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Somewhere on here ( or available on other sites) are comparisons of the way Katherine and Megan are treated by the hyenas of the press. To understand Harry’s decision to emigrate to America, one really needs to read it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The letter ended up in the hands of the Sunday Mail, at different times I am quite sure many royal letters and notes have fallen in to the hands of the papers, they are not forced to publish them or build a story around them.

Difficult to draw a conclusion given that’s just speculation. Sorry I can’t summon up any sympathy for any celebrity or royal under any circumstances even if it does serve some other purpose like trying to justify accusations of racism

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Difficult to draw a conclusion given that’s just speculation. Sorry I can’t summon up any sympathy for any celebrity or royal under any circumstances even if it does serve some other purpose like trying to justify accusations of racism

Personal letter ends up in hands of newspaper, newspaper decides to publish personal letter. That's not speculation.

Edit :Writer of letter wins Privacy claim in High Court. That's not speculation either.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can't say I follow this particular soap opera very closely, but didn't his Mum tell him he had 'a year to come to his senses', or similar, ratrher than just say toodle pip old chap straightaway?

So, the year's up, he has confirmed that he has not changed his mind, so they have agreed to implement that which they all agreed would be the natural consequence of his decision a year ago?

Nothing to see here, move on...

His mum died fairly spectacularly in a road crash in paris over 20 years ago. I presume you mean Granny .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's pretty obvious that she was treated appallingly bad by the British media almost from the start. Could you imagine the Daily Mail/Sunday Mail leaking a personal letter from Prince William's wife ?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-compares-glaring-difference-of-headlines-meghan-markle/

Somewhere on here ( or available on other sites) are comparisons of the way Katherine and Megan are treated by the hyenas of the press. To understand Harry’s decision to emigrate to America, one really needs to read it.

Chalk and cheese.

Every pregnant woman touches her belly.

The same paper =

Kate Middleton: "Not long to go! Pregnant Kate tenderly cradles her baby bump while wrapping up her royal duties ahead of maternity leave - and William confirms she's due any minute now"

Meghan Markle: "Why can't Meghan Markle keep her hands off her bump? Experts tackle the question that has got the nation talking: is it pride, vanity, acting -- or a new age bonding technique?"

Bitchy and spiteful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nobody has mentioned racism. You're the first.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wish Harry and Meghan well in the States, Harry lost his Mum in awful circumstances as a lad, who could begrudge him happiness now?

If they makes loads of money, so what?

I agree with James O'Brien on this. Similar to the online and newspaper attacks on Lewis Hamilton, someone with non-white ethnicity who doesn't keep quiet and tow the line, will face protracted bad press and innuendo.

It's not a British desease btw, the US and continental Europe have more than their fair share of racists and institutional racism.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nobody has mentioned racism. You're the first.

Yup, we all know that’s what all this is about though. Lots of people who spend their time on other threads criticizing privilege and then turn up on this one full of sympathy for some American actress. I don’t think I am the only one who holds the whole lot of them in contempt regardless of their race

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Harry is that mate we've all had that gets a mental girlfriend and is never seen down the pub ever again

"Where's Harry tonight" "She won't let him out but he says he's got into Strictly and wants to watch the Final"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don’t think he lives off our taxes any longer. I believe he gave up his Civil list allowance a year ago when he stood down from Royal duties.

I believe you are right and that he is now going to make his living off the media.

Shorely shome mishtake

I find it sad really. Whilst I could never be described as a royalist I did find Harry very engaging and personable. I also respected him for insisting that he served "with the lads" in Afghanistan (something his older brother certainly didn't). Far more eloquent than William and so much more relaxed and "ordinary" when dealing with us plebs.

However, if he doesn't want to be a royal anymore he should do the honourable thing and relinquish his titles (particularly Duke of Sussex as he is a bit of an embarrassment to the Kingdom of the South Saxons now)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I wish Harry and Meghan well in the States, Harry lost his Mum in awful circumstances as a lad, who could begrudge him happiness now?

If they makes loads of money, so what?

I agree with James O'Brien on this. Similar to the online and newspaper attacks on Lewis Hamilton, someone with non-white ethnicity who doesn't keep quiet and tow the line, will face protracted bad press and innuendo.

It's not a British desease btw, the US and continental Europe have more than their fair share of racists and institutional racism.

Can't agree with that I'm afraid.

I don't think Meghan's skin colour has anything to do with this - it's just an easy card to play.

For me its more to do with her ambition and the fact that she is American. When I was living in NY I could never comprehend the US media obsession with the Royal Family. The fact that Harry and Meghan are now living there just feeds this. Don't tell me they aren't using Harry's heritage to their advantage - can you imagine them being interviewed by Piers Morgan in the way they are with Oprah? It wouldn't happen because agree with it or not, we see the Royals are having more dignity than to appear on trashy chat shows - the US has no such qualms.

I find it quite sad. Like others have posted on here, Harry was the acceptable face of the Royals, doing it for real in Afghanistan and having a genuine connection with the younger generation. I think he would have brilliant in bridging the gap between the stuffy out of touch old Royals and the newer generation. That won't happen now. How much of it is due to his own sad upbringing and how much to his ambitious wife I don't think we'll ever know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I don't think Meghan's skin colour has anything to do with this - it's just an easy card to play.

For me its more to do with her ambition and the fact that she is American. When I was living in NY I could never comprehend the US media obsession with the Royal Family. The fact that Harry and Meghan are now living there just feeds this. Don't tell me they aren't using Harry's heritage to their advantage - can you imagine them being interviewed by Piers Morgan in the way they are with Oprah? It wouldn't happen because agree with it or not, we see the Royals are having more dignity than to appear on trashy chat shows - the US has no such qualms.

I find it quite sad. Like others have posted on here, Harry was the acceptable face of the Royals, doing it for real in Afghanistan and having a genuine connection with the younger generation. I think he would have brilliant in bridging the gap between the stuffy out of touch old Royals and the newer generation. That won't happen now. How much of it is due to his own sad upbringing and how much to his ambitious wife I don't think we'll ever know.

Two things:

Morgan quite clearly can't stand Markle. In his binary world of disdain or like, it's all very random eg he used to like to Trump, yet he was full of spite for Corbyn and "Remoaner Gina Miller". So I wouldn't give any truck to his views or interviewing style.

I take this down to the human level. A couple fall in love, I'm pleased for them, end of story. Subsequent media or social media bitching about them is just good old fashioned bullying. I can't stand bullying.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Oprah is FAR from trashy, she often gives time to dealing with serious societal issues that have not previously been addressed, she and her show have won multiple awards for Philanthropy and raising awareness. Morgan is just... Morgan

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Similar to the online and newspaper attacks on Lewis Hamilton, someone with non-white ethnicity who doesn't keep quiet and tow the line, will face protracted bad press and innuendo.

Toe the line. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

The funny thing is, if they don’t toe the left-wing line they get the same treatment as well. Shows that the far left isn’t that removed from the far right they profess to hate.

Projection, in other words.

I think Meghan’s bad press comes from her being the stereotypical controlling woman. Our instincts tell us that the man should wear the trousers and no matter how much the feminists decrying this, if he doesn’t then it doesn’t sit right with us. We end up disliking her and being contemptuous of him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I believe you are right and that he is now going to make his living off the media.

Shorely shome mishtake

I find it sad really. Whilst I could never be described as a royalist I did find Harry very engaging and personable. I also respected him for insisting that he served "with the lads" in Afghanistan (something his older brother certainly didn't). Far more eloquent than William and so much more relaxed and "ordinary" when dealing with us plebs.

However, if he doesn't want to be a royal anymore he should do the honourable thing and relinquish his titles (particularly Duke of Sussex as he is a bit of an embarrassment to the Kingdom of the South Saxons now)

‘Ordinary !’ About as far from that as you could get. Never had to do a days work in his life. Earns his money from the press and bites the hand that feeds when it suits. Just like his mother and the whole parasitic gang.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Harry is that mate we've all had that gets a mental girlfriend and is never seen down the pub ever again

"Where's Harry tonight" "She won't let him out but he says he's got into Strictly and wants to watch the Final"

That would be a valid point if his mental girlfriend looked like Heather Trott from Eastenders ..... however, she looks like Meghan Markle. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here