Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Football is all about controversy and feeling hard done by. Bring it on and give people something more interesting to moan about than whether Grealish’s hair was blown out of place by going within 2 meters of a defender. There are still people on here going on about the Southampton v Spurs match from 1978 so fans back on the last day of the season will sustain some people for decades !

That was me the other day laughing at Spurs and Southampton's recent misfortune.

My wife asked why I disliked them and was utterly incredulous given the time-frame for the source of my displeasure.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Full houses in August if I've understood correctly. Bring it on. I bloody can't wait.

Hope it happens! Certainly didn’t agree with many on this thread saying it’ll be a full year after that!!! But let’s see...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That was me the other day laughing at Spurs and Southampton's recent misfortune.

My wife asked why I disliked them and was utterly incredulous given the time-frame for the source of my displeasure.

Long may it continue !! Let’s give a new generation the opportunity to feel the same injustice. At the end of the day it’s not life and death. Not sure I’m bothered about fairness given the year we have all just had.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Long may it continue !! Let’s give a new generation the opportunity to feel the same injustice. At the end of the day it’s not life and death. Not sure I’m bothered about fairness given the year we have all just had.

It's important hold tight to grudges and team dislikes:
One of the bullies in my year at Varndean was a Spurs fan.
The media always calling Spurs an attractive attacking side during their most boring years.
The Saints Leeds stitch up.
Burkenshaw saying we should always beat teams like Brighton.
More recently the cheat Harry Kane in the Lallana stitch up.
I'm sure there's more.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Athletic : The dates of the 2nd to last games of the PL season could be moved to allow fans in.

( Our game v Man City clashes with the Cup Final as well - if Man City get there ).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Athletic : The dates of the 2nd to last games of the PL season could be moved to allow fans in.

Suppose Fulham and Newcastle are playing what is effectively a play-off for the final relegation place at Craven Cottage on the last day of the season, I'm not quite sure having fans in the stadium is fair on Newcastle, after a whole season played without fans present.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Suppose Fulham and Newcastle are playing what is effectively a play-off for the final relegation place at Craven Cottage on the last day of the season, I'm not quite sure having fans in the stadium is fair on Newcastle, after a whole season played without fans present.

And we’ll never hear the last of it when the Geordies are sent crying back up the motorway :)
What was that catchphrase on ‘It Ain’t Half Hot Mum ?’

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9784665/Fans-Premier-League-matches-need-Covid-passport-round-matches.html

Finally a step in the right direction amongst all the madness of so called 'freedom' day. This must be properly regulated though, and proof of vaccination status matched to the name on the ticket and only PCR tests allowed as a proof of 'negative' testing. Still can't see given the difference in rates in different areas how mass unregulated away supporters can be admitted. At least to begin with if we must have away fans they should be in regulated official 'bubbles' in and out of stadia without mixing with home supporters.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9784665/Fans-Premier-League-matches-need-Covid-passport-round-matches.html

Finally a step in the right direction amongst all the madness of so called 'freedom' day. This must be properly regulated though, and proof of vaccination status matched to the name on the ticket and only PCR tests allowed as a proof of 'negative' testing. Still can't see given the difference in rates in different areas how mass unregulated away supporters can be admitted. At least to begin with if we must have away fans they should be in regulated official 'bubbles' in and out of stadia without mixing with home supporters.

With 160k at the British Grand Prix over 3 days this weekend, a near capacity crowd for the Open Championship starting Thursday and the crowd scenes all over the country last Sunday (especially central London and in and around Wembley), I think that ship has well and truly sailed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
With 160k at the British Grand Prix over 3 days this weekend, a near capacity crowd for the Open Championship starting Thursday and the crowd scenes all over the country last Sunday (especially central London and in and around Wembley), I think that ship has well and truly sailed.
Absolute madness with the rates as they are. There is nothing essential about attending these events yet more people will die unnecessarily.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I agree, l think that "freedom day" has already happened for quite a large chunk of the population. Difficult to go back on it now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolute madness with the rates as they are. There is nothing essential about attending these events yet more people will die unnecessarily.

I still have issue with this - the high risk groups are double vaccinated. Anyone over 30 should be double vaccinated by now. Anyone that is over 18 should have had their first jab by now - and second by end of August at the absolute latest, but possible before. So what we are waiting for?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don’t really understand your point about away supporters (although I do understand the running joke). Anyway, there are not going to be local lockdowns therefore people are free to travel to all kinds of events, including football. If it were thought that a particular area poses an unusually high threat then all travel should logically be banned. It would make little sense to have a football only regulation.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still have issue with this - the high risk groups are double vaccinated. Anyone over 30 should be double vaccinated by now. Anyone that is over 18 should have had their first jab by now - and second by end of August at the absolute latest, but possible before. So what we are waiting for?

optimistic stats. nicely fabricated though.

my sister in law is in hospital and a pair of friends who are double vaccinated are both ill. not as ill fortunately. It aint over yet.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
optimistic stats. nicely fabricated though.

my sister in law is in hospital and a pair of friends who are double vaccinated are both ill. not as ill fortunately. It aint over yet.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

They're not stats, it is facts. The stats are how many are being vaccinated, but if people are choosing not to then that is their choice. Given stories from family / friends who used the walk up clinics over the last 4 weeks they all commented how quiet they have been - walked straight in, jabbed and out.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
People may not have noticed but the city is currently in special covid measures because of the very high infection rates. So we have surge testing and vaccination for 18 -29 ages and buried in the guidelines a suggestion to avoid "unnecessary" travel. Let's hope it works before our first home game!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This.

We are moving from hiding from Covid to living with it. It's endemic. Vaccines will protect most vulnerable people from mechanical ventilation and death most of the time. No one is compelled to go to these mass events.

It's become another risk in our society but people die in bad flu seasons, anti-vaxx hotspots get lots of measles outbreaks. etc etc.

If we're going to unlock then July 19 is as good a time to do it as any. Kids will be off school for 6 weeks and the summer holidays are always when public transport, particularly long-ish commutes are quietest. It's a self regulating "lockdown lite" that should allow the third wave peak to be over before the schools and offices get busy again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here