Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
PCR is a step too far, and clearly discriminates against those under 35 who would not have had their second jab by the start of the season. Why is a negative lateral flow test not acceptable.?

Can see a fair few empty seats come 21st August (even if we're allowed everyone in and not a percentage).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I should clarify, I've had the second jab (was bought forward) so it's not relevant for me, others have been trying to get a second jab and been unable to do so.

Point them in that direction then!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I still have issue with this - the high risk groups are double vaccinated. Anyone over 30 should be double vaccinated by now. Anyone that is over 18 should have had their first jab by now - and second by end of August at the absolute latest, but possible before. So what we are waiting for?

I will declare a personal interest in that my wife has developed no antibodies after 2 jabs because her immune system is compromised and this will be true of a lot of people who have had cancer treatment.

If we follow the science , the medical people are predicting up to 200 deaths a day in mid August and lots of young people suffering long covid and that's why I think this is unacceptable to do this

There is a desperate drive to get back to normal i.e. where we were pre-covid but maybe its time to realise we might not get there or not yet. I think small steps are the way to go and using masks is also important.

This is not just about opinions it truly is a matter of life or death.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Your original statement is not fact. We're close but no cigar on veccines, and still nothing for U18's who are spreading it around.

I agree getting vaccinated is easy and there are options for those with legitimate concerns about which vaccine to have.

keep easing up I agree with but total freedom is a disaster waiting to happen. Basically condeming a lot of people to staying at home so selfish idiots can party. a lot of people are getting it and being ill even though they've had jabs. Its still a new vaccine and adapting virus.

I'd love it to go away, but lockdown 3 in October is more likely I think.

Yep, and as many other countries are pointing out having a load of vaccinated people catching COVID because of high and increasing infection rates and low restrictions is the quickest way to create a vaccine-resistant variant. Not for the first time government policy makes future more severe lockdowns more likely, only this time we're also a risk to the world's progress against COVID so far.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Where on earth did you hear that?

The original advice from the manufacturers was to have two doses three weeks apart. It was our government that decided to do 12 weeks as it would make the statistics look better.

Same number of people being jabbed so how does it improve the statistics ?
The science isn’t conclusive on this, especially with the AZ jab. It’s the Government’s job to take a view after listening to all the conflicting evidence.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But what is the risk of under 18s or anyone spreading it around? We are seeing high numbers because it’s so easy to test. Deaths are very low and of course covid may not be the actual cause of death any way

I know a six year old who has contracted it, believed to have been at school. She's doing fine but the rest of the class had to isolate.

My God daughter is 15, her class was sent home just before half term to isolate as one of her schoolmates had it. Her twin brothers class was also sent home at the same time as one of the boys in a school sports team had contracted it. I think kids can spread it, they might not be affected badly, but if it gets passed on back at home then there could be a problem.

Yoda

English & European
Yep, and as many other countries are pointing out having a load of vaccinated people catching COVID because of high and increasing infection rates and low restrictions is the quickest way to create a vaccine-resistant variant. Not for the first time government policy makes future more severe lockdowns more likely, only this time we're also a risk to the world's progress against COVID so far.

One of the limited ways a virus has to become vaccine-resistant is to change the make up of the spike protein. Bare in mind this is the same spike protein the virus uses to attach itself to our cells to infect us. Any change in the spike protein will lead to a less effective binding between the virus and the cell reducing its efficacy. This will in turn result in less viral load & less severe illness.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But what is the risk of under 18s or anyone spreading it around? We are seeing high numbers because it’s so easy to test. Deaths are very low and of course covid may not be the actual cause of death any way

I don't think that's correct. It was also easy to test earlier this year with peak 2. It is being spread around more easily because this variant is more robust, and because Boris has given the impression that freedom day is round the corner so people have been taking the piss. The reason death rate is so low is because this variant is clearly less likely to kill (that's how viruses evolve - it is not in their advantage to kill the host, or make the host isolate) and because diagnosis is quicker and treatments more effective. The latter may include the vaccine although I'm not persuaded that a fully vaccinated person can catch Covid at all; the statements to the contrary are most likely due to a misreading of the data and inclusion of non vaccinated people in the calculation. The provenance of the data is always an issue in clinical studies. In my area, the global rate of death from the disease I work on varies ten fold from country to country due almost entierly to variations in definitions used for diagnosis and reporting.

Edit: This is an interesting Q/A about flu and its vaccination. It is too early to say whether the same issues apply to Covid but I remember a year ago a virologist saying there were 50+ variant strains of Covid already but at the time they were all pretty similar in infectivity etc, albeit it was really too early for him to say that.

https://www.newscientist.com/lastwo...-viral-how-can-you-get-flu-after-vaccination/

The thing about Covid is that it is too risky to sit back and wait till the data are of sufficient unequivocal and pristine provenance to permit 100% certain concusions, and dealing with it is based on best guesses, supported as well as possible with modelling. The trouble is that once a plan is announced people backfill the decision process based on their presumptions. This is about as fruitful as backfilling an understanding of how Klopp trained to be a manager to explain how he won the Champion's league. Or how Potter kept us up. You can cook up a plausible yarn, but that's all it is.

I'm double vaccinated. Might I get Covid at the football? Maybe. Iestimate that I'm quite safe, until September/October when an new strain emerges that is not 'covered' by the current vaccine. Like flu which requires a new jab every year.

I'm not a virologist by the way, and will stand corrected if called out by one.

Apologies, final word (on flu):

"Vaccines are never 100 per cent effective in all people, although two doses of measles vaccine (as MMR) come close, giving more than 99 per cent protection.

Also, immunisation can result in a suboptimal immune response, for a variety of reasons: poor vaccine administration technique, for example, or because of other health problems affecting your immune system at the time.

It is important to note that even if you get infected by the influenza strain that is in the vaccine that year, it is likely that you will have a modified illness. Although it may feel like a bad case, the vaccine may have partially protected you from even more severe disease.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/lastwo...-you-get-flu-after-vaccination/#ixzz70aszmV2c
"

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I won’t be going unless things radically change.

The Government finds that 200 deaths a day is acceptable, I don’t want to be one of them, or give this , still deadly disease to my family and friends.

Yoda

English & European
I know a six year old who has contracted it, believed to have been at school. She's doing fine but the rest of the class had to isolate.

My God daughter is 15, her class was sent home just before half term to isolate as one of her schoolmates had it. Her twin brothers class was also sent home at the same time as one of the boys in a school sports team had contracted it. I think kids can spread it, they might not be affected badly, but if it gets passed on back at home then there could be a problem.

You are correct, they can contract and spread it, but less likely too as they aren't badly affected. Usually, the less you are affected, the less viral load you shed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Actually not doing - I was told this by the door staff.

Fair enough. That’s genuinely the first instance I’ve heard of that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think the problem is the government guidance is still 8 weeks between jabs, but every walk in centre will do second jab after 3 week, you just need to ask. Unless there are still supply issues not sure why the 8 weeks can’t be reduced a bit or advertised better.

Certainly around West Sussex everyone I know that is 30+ is double jabbed. Maybe I’m being a bit naive but nationally we opened up jabs to the 18+ almost 5 weeks ago

Pretty sure that isn't the case over here in the East. My sister is 43 and isn't double jabbed yet. My pal is 47 and only had his second one last week and that was because he brought it forward.

Where are these walk in centres you speak of? Why aren't they advertised?

When I booked my first jab I was made to book both at the same time. This meant I had the first in Tonbridge at the start of May and the second in Crawley at the end of July as they were the closest places available at the time. It was only the fact a mate told me you could go on and change it that I did. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I don't think so judging by the folk I know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
When I booked my first jab I was made to book both at the same time. .

Me too, but I received a phone call a few days before my 8 week date saying they were cancelling my 12 week 2nd booking and I should rebook via the website. I then booked in for a few days later at Crawley Hospital, but by word of mouth managed to get to Clair Hall the day before - they were doing both AZ and Pfizer on a drop in basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports