Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Unresolved mysteries

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There are many papers online suggesting there's a link between those with a lesser understanding of probability and those more likely to believe in the paranormal.
I remember this example being given on the telly a few years back: If you roll two dice and you think you're less likely to roll 2 sixes rather than say, a 4 and a 2, or a 1 and a 5 then you're more likely to believe in ghosts.

https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/619951/1/Kens%20PhD%20Post%20VIVA%20(26.01.18%20FINAL).pdf

And yet there is quite a few geniuses out there who believes in the paranormal.

How different humans approach the subject of the paranormal does not change the facts of the paranormal, regardless if the facts are "there's nothing like that", "there's something like that" or "there's lots of that".

Feel free to summarise these 386 pages as there is a low probability that I will read it. Actually I also believe that there is a low probablity that you have read it, but that there is a high probability that you want to post it anyway to push your stance on the subject. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Of course I haven't read it. Who would?
I wasn't certain I'd find anything online to back up what I thought I remembered seeing on the TV all those years ago but when I did I thought I'd post it as someone might find it interesting.
I don't really have any stance on the issue really.
Or if I do it's rather flaccid.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don't know if this is the right thread for it but lately I've been more and more convinced we are living in a simulation of some kind.

Simply put, as VR develops it's conceivable that in the future the experience will be somewhat like the Matrix - indistinguishable from reality.

If that's the case, who's to say it hasn't already been done? Are we in a simulation, in a simulation, in a simulation?

If true, does matter?

Elon Musk explains it better, and quickly, in this video (timestamp 4:16).

Believe it or not a lot of scientists do subscribe to simulation theory.

The core argument is quite compelling.

As you say technology will evolve exponentially. Therefore if it is possible to simulate a reality it will be done. At that point it could evolve to the point that simulation of realities could be done in their hundreds, thousands, and even millions.

If any of the above is true. That would mean our chance of exiting in the base reality would be extremely low, potentially 1 in a million. It’s quite mind-blowing, but it would mean we would be mathematically more likely to be in a simulation than in the base reality.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Believe it or not a lot of scientists do subscribe to simulation theory.

The core argument is quite compelling.

As you say technology will evolve exponentially. Therefore if it is possible to simulate a reality it will be done. At that point it could evolve to the point that simulation of realities could be done in their hundreds, thousands, and even millions.

If any of the above is true. That would mean our chance of exiting in the base reality would be extremely low, potentially 1 in a million. It’s quite mind-blowing, but it would mean we would be mathematically more likely to be in a simulation than in the base reality.
Yes, there is a scientific research organisation in California that believes the mathematics points to us actually being 3d projections from the forth dimension.
So essentially the real us is in the fourth dimension and we are experiencing a 3d reality.
Incredible.
It makes me wonder if this is what Buddha and Krishna meant by connecting with our"higher self"
The same research facility believe that at the quantum level the fabric of this reality is made of polygons the same as a video game.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, there is a scientific research organisation in California that believes the mathematics points to us actually being 3d projections from the forth dimension.
So essentially the real us is in the fourth dimension and we are experiencing a 3d reality.
Incredible.
It makes me wonder if this is what Buddha and Krishna meant by connecting with our"higher self"
The same research facility believe that at the quantum level the fabric of this reality is made of polygons the same as a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrTksfYEC64

I'm sorry to mock and I mean it with humor not malice. That theory is what most scientists would describe as a desperation theory.
That's not to say it can be completely ruled out but the theory is probably not even really believed by those who are researching it. A classic example of this is Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe's theory of Panspermia, the theory that life on earth did not evolve through abiogenesis but originated elsewhere in the universe. There have been other theorists who put this idea forward dating back thousands of years but theirs is the most widely "accepted" and most contemporary.

It is not generally an accepted theory by the scientific community, not just because of the lack of evidence for panspermia but the overwhelming evidence for abiogenesis. it is therefore regarded as a "desperation theory" because it is essentially hoping that one day they could prove it but not even the researchers have much faith in the theory. However, as we go forward both schools of thought will likely have a part to play in solving the mysteries of the universe and so we shouldn't rule out things that seem bizarre.
The chances of anything coming from Mars were a million to one......they said.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Its pretty still for the first 28 seconds? As for lightning and quality this seems to be a common issue of videos filmed some 50-70 years ago. Maybe the whole 1950s never existed.

From my understanding and I think confirmed by this film the Soviet Union was always poorly lit and only black and white. Nothing was coloured until Hasselhoff

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Incredible.

Have they been licking the local toads?
Incredible indeed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And yet there is quite a few geniuses out there who believes in the paranormal.

How different humans approach the subject of the paranormal does not change the facts of the paranormal, regardless if the facts are "there's nothing like that", "there's something like that" or "there's lots of that".

Feel free to summarise these 386 pages as there is a low probability that I will read it. Actually I also believe that there is a low probablity that you have read it, but that there is a high probability that you want to post it anyway to push your stance on the subject. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe in "paranormal" occurences, or unexplained phenomena, things that there is not a satisfactory scientific explanation of. That is not the same as believing in ghosts or aliens being responsible for it, that is explaining the unexplained with a guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I believe in "paranormal" occurences, or unexplained phenomena, things that there is not a satisfactory scientific explanation of. That is not the same as believing in ghosts or aliens being responsible for it, that is explaining the unexplained with a guess.

Exactly this.

I watched the whole first season of The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch and it certainly was interesting stuff, measured with real scientific instruments and people who would naturally be quite sceptical. There were what appeared to be UFOs and some very weird behaviour by the cattle on the ranch. However, all the show succeeded in doing was demonstrating that some abnormal stuff was happening, it didn't explain what was causing it, or why it was restricted to a few square miles in Utah. Maybe they're saving that for season 2. Or maybe they won't be able to. Still, it won't stop people blaming aliens and / or the paranormal without any evidence to the cause, only the effect.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
During a long illness i started reading books on the subject from the library , there`s some rubbish out there but i got lucky with some good author`s on the subject . There are so many documentaries these days , there`s always something on the box . When you get a career pilot of 25 plus years say he has seen an object twice the size of an aircraft carrier travelling at magnitudes of Mach fly in front of him , well how do you account for that :shrug:

I presume you’ve already watched them but some really interesting documentaries by Jeremy Corbell on much of this topic:

Bob Lazar, Area 51 and flying saucers is a good place to start.

Then if you’re enough intrigued go and check out the Joe Rogan Experience podcast episodes 1315 [Bob Lazar] and 1361 [Commander David Fravor the pilot who witnessed, along with 4 others at first hand the Tic Tac UFO whilst flying off the Nimitz in 2004 off the west coast of America].

Intriguing notions and as you say the drip feed of limited information is coming.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Exactly this.

I watched the whole first season of The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch and it certainly was interesting stuff, measured with real scientific instruments and people who would naturally be quite sceptical. There were what appeared to be UFOs and some very weird behaviour by the cattle on the ranch. However, all the show succeeded in doing was demonstrating that some abnormal stuff was happening, it didn't explain what was causing it, or why it was restricted to a few square miles in Utah. Maybe they're saving that for season 2. Or maybe they won't be able to. Still, it won't stop people blaming aliens and / or the paranormal without any evidence to the cause, only the effect.

If you have Prime then watch The hunt for the Skinwalker by Jeremy Corbell - goes into quite a bit of detail and of course hints at other unexplained goings on that they’re probably waiting before going public on.

Also if you have a passing interest see my previous post. I’m quite compelled by his documentary style and the way in which he appears to have integrity not to divulge information he’s been given until he can prove it categorically, he does so in his words because this field is based on credibility of sources and their trust.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
There are many papers online suggesting there's a link between those with a lesser understanding of probability and those more likely to believe in the paranormal.
I remember this example being given on the telly a few years back: If you roll two dice and you think you're less likely to roll 2 sixes rather than say, a 4 and a 2, or a 1 and a 5 then you're more likely to believe in ghosts.

https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/619951/1/Kens%20PhD%20Post%20VIVA%20(26.01.18%20FINAL).pdf

Surely you are less likely to roll two sixes as opposed to, to use your example, a four and a two? Unless you are specifically stating that the first die to land is a four and the subsequent one a two?

The way I see it is to roll a four and a two the first due to land can fall on either a four or a two. A 1 in 3 chance. The subsequent die then has to land on either a four, if the first was a two, or a two if the first was a four. A one in 6 chance. Combined odds 17/1.

To roll two sixes both the first and subsequent die’s must land on a six. A 35/1 chance.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The truth is governments dont want us to live like god's,they want us to stay digging in the dirt.
Jesus tried to tell us too and they crucified the bloke.

Jesus certainly did not say we should live like gods. There are plenty of stories in the Bible warning against trying to be God. Lucifer (Angel), Nimrod (human) etc.

A horrific thought for the Roman empire that any human has the power to experience the cosmos!!!

No, it was earthly power they were interested in. It was the Jewish priests who wanted Jesus crucified, also to retain their power.

But like Jesus said"seek and ye shall find"

There He’s talking specifically about seeking and finding God.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You were convinced because as humans we know it's true.
We have an instinctive natural relationship with the cosmos but it's hammered out of us.
An enlightened population is not a useful one to governments.
Its interesting the words of Hermes thrice great of ancient Egypt who said"why do humans choose to dig around in the dirt when they could live like god's?".
The truth is governments dont want us to live like god's,they want us to stay digging in the dirt.
Jesus tried to tell us too and they crucified the bloke.
A horrific thought for the Roman empire that any human has the power to experience the cosmos!!!
That's just for emperor's,no work will get done.
The evidence is there,they just won't show us.
But like Jesus said"seek and ye shall find"

No, I was convinced because I was young and wanted it to be true, but that doesn't make it so, and nothing was hammered out of me, either - I simply came to the conclusion myself, due to the simple lack of evidence.

Not only that, I find the notion that governments have the capacity to hide anything of that magnitude from everyone utterly fanciful, and a bit of a cop-out.
Of course, they have their clandestine operations, but to suggest that that's even remotely possible, given the number of people that would have to be involved in the keeping secret of such knowledge, would be even more ridiculous than believing the moon landings were faked, and nobody takes even that seriously.

Do they?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Incredible.

any serious scientific researcher would know a dimension is a measurable quality of something. the 4th dimension is time. using for anything else is lazy pop fiction. sure there are higher dimensions, which emerge from complex maths. there may well be other layers of existence, better terms should be used than "dimension", unless writing (yet another) sci-fi novella idea. either way, all these ideas are just re-imagining Plato's cave, as such are interesting philosophical musings.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
any serious scientific researcher would know a dimension is a measurable quality of something. the 4th dimension is time. using for anything else is lazy pop fiction. sure there are higher dimensions, which emerge from complex maths. there may well be other layers of existence, better terms should be used than "dimension", unless writing (yet another) sci-fi novella idea. either way, all these ideas are just re-imagining Plato's cave, as such are interesting philosophical musings.

I don’t know much about the theory of the poster you’re quoting, but simulation theory itself is quite mainstream in science currently, certainly a notch above philosophy and not to be entirely dismissed.

(Although your comparison to Platos cave is quite a good one).

https://interestingengineering.com/...what-you-need-to-know-about-simulation-theory

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/simulated-world-elon-musk-the-matrix

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here