Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens to Burnley (deal now confirmed)

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Move over [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] and [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], we have a new ITK source who is producing unlike you two losers (yesterday’s men) :wink:

The Argus have just picked this up, so it is a genuine ITK post

:bowdown:

Questions has the answers.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Appears to be affecting us in the PL.Not so sure about it affecting the other teams, including teams in the championship.... we will see what happens in next week I suppose.
I know we haven’t signed anyone for a significant fee, apart from possibly a LWB & Some forward cover the performances so far we are looking superb and don’t see adding for the sake of it an advantage.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Clubs are still spending millions is covid really effecting the market ???

People say this but I'm not seeing any signs of it: Chelsea have just splashed out about £200m in a couple of weeks. Villa spunked £30m on Watkins, a decent championship striker. Leeds have spaffed £30m on Rodrigo, a 30-year old striker who scores once every six games, Newcastle spent £15m on Lewis, a full back who was part of one of the worst defences in the PL last year and so on.

There's no sign of any real effect as far as I can see

Appears to be affecting us in the PL.Not so sure about it affecting the other teams, including teams in the championship.... we will see what happens in next week I suppose.

A growing tendency in PL the last couple of years is to buy players with borrowed money and it wouldnt surprise me one bit if that is what a couple of clubs are doing, though it will take a while before we know for sure. Other clubs are able to spend infinite money because their owners have infinite money.

Brighton & Burnley are two of the few British PL clubs and live in the British reality where their owners 1) have a genuine interest in their clubs and wont say "**** it, I'm out" if things go bad and 2) they cant go to their government and say "hey we ran out of money, print some more" unlike Chinese and Arab investors. Its a different reality.

You cant compare Brighton & Burnley to teams owned - through proxy - by foreign states.

I don't disagree with any of that ... but that's the complete opposite of saying that the transfer market has been affected by Covid

Yes you are sort of right if we only look at 15 or so of the PL clubs. The two involved teams in this transfer are affected though. And nearly every other club in Europe as well. A normal year you could probably find someone in the Championship who would pay up £3m or something for a player like Stephens. This year it is quite likely £500k-1m, take it or leave it - there wont be any other buyers.

Chelsea is a bit of an outlier - they are spending big after a transfer ban, so have in effect been 'saving up' for this. I'd also argue that the teams at the very top of the league are in a different bubble to everyone else (less dependant upon match day revenue because of the global revenue streams & bigger share of TV revenue AND owned by filthy rich foreign individuals/companies/state slush finds).

Maybe for the bottom half (two thirds?) of the league, the stakes just got higher, so they are gambling bigger to avoid the drop? The gulf between the Premier League and Championship money is only getting bigger - I reckon a club like VIlla would be F***ED to drop down to Championship-sized revenues now, so it's a case of 'in for a penny, in for hundreds of millions of pounds'

At this stage, it looks as though Fulham & WBA have decided to invest a bit, but bank the rest, see what happens, but take relegation on the chin if it comes their way.

I agree with Swansman's point about potential buyers in the Championship - there may be a couple of teams that decide to go for broke, but I doubt there will be as many willing (/able) to pay as much for players dropping down from the PL, particularly taking into account the wages.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If he does go, and I hope he doesn't, then I wish him nothing but the best. For 3 years, he was the absolute linchpin of our midfield in the championship and the whole "no Stephens, no win" thing was very real. There's a reason every manager we've had picks him and, although he is a defensive midfielder and could have chipped in a couple more goals, he has been a hugely valuable member of the squad. Since we've been in the Premier League he has also consistently been better than a vocal minority think and maybe, like Ashley Barnes, he can go to Burnley and show his quality for another year or so.

Even now, look at Pompey: Ignore who we were playing, this isn't about ability, he really captained the side. He was constantly talking to the youngsters and helping them through their paces, keeping them calm and encouraging them. I think his influence on the pitch for the first team may have diminished as he's got older but I think we'll miss his influence in the dressing room.

He's been a fantastic servant. Only people with very short memories or an irrational bias wouldn't thank him for his involvement and wish him well.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Think this is a good move for everyone. He can still do a job at this level in the right system, he's just not quite dynamic enough for how Potter sets up.

Think he'll do well under Dyche, Dale is the sort of reliable workhorse that Dyche loves.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread. Where did you get this from? There is absolutely nothing searchable on this.

If you're genuinely ITK, can you update on whether we'll singe Brewster? :rolleyes:

Can’t help you with that one Harry

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He’s also 31, given us 6 1/2 years service, possibly behind Bissouma, Alzate, Propper, Molumby in the pecking order. I don’t want to see him go to a rival, but I also don’t want a 31 yr old in the twilight of their career only getting league cup appearances.

All depends on where Potter sees him. Only keep him if we genuinely think we’re going to use him. Don’t play not selling to a rival games with a player we might not even use.

No problem with him going , for the reasons you say . Kinda anyone but Burnley tho . At least Duffy isn’t currently making West Brom good .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watched him enough to know he’s not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you didn’t attend promotion season matches, or these seminal wins:

3-0 over Spurs
Watford 0-3 Albion
Albion 3-2 Manure
Albion 1-0 Manure
Arsenal 1-2 Albion
West Ham 0-3 Albion
etc etc

Stephens a key part every time.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
At his age he will want to be playing regularly and it is clear he is dropping down the pecking order at Brighton with the rise of Bissouma and Alzate and Potter seems tk rate Propper above him as well.

So makes sense for both parties if this goes through

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I’ve a memory of when Alan Navarro left us for Swindon. Barely tried a shot for us but we met them in a League Cup game and he banged in two against us including a hammer of a free kick and a mazy dribble round three defenders before finishing past our keeper.
This has that feeling of inevitability :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If he does go, and I hope he doesn't, then I wish him nothing but the best. For 3 years, he was the absolute linchpin of our midfield in the championship and the whole "no Stephens, no win" thing was very real. There's a reason every manager we've had picks him and, although he is a defensive midfielder and could have chipped in a couple more goals, he has been a hugely valuable member of the squad. Since we've been in the Premier League he has also consistently been better than a vocal minority think and maybe, like Ashley Barnes, he can go to Burnley and show his quality for another year or so.

Even now, look at Pompey: Ignore who we were playing, this isn't about ability, he really captained the side. He was constantly talking to the youngsters and helping them through their paces, keeping them calm and encouraging them. I think his influence on the pitch for the first team may have diminished as he's got older but I think we'll miss his influence in the dressing room.

He's been a fantastic servant. Only people with very short memories or an irrational bias wouldn't thank him for his involvement and wish him well.

Great post, and he's earned the right to leave us if he's been told that he won't get much game time with us this season, and is one out of third, fourth, fifth in the CM pecking order.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chelsea is a bit of an outlier - they are spending big after a transfer ban, so have in effect been 'saving up' for this. I'd also argue that the teams at the very top of the league are in a different bubble to everyone else (less dependant upon match day revenue because of the global revenue streams & bigger share of TV revenue AND owned by filthy rich foreign individuals/companies/state slush finds).

Maybe for the bottom half (two thirds?) of the league, the stakes just got higher, so they are gambling bigger to avoid the drop? The gulf between the Premier League and Championship money is only getting bigger - I reckon a club like VIlla would be F***ED to drop down to Championship-sized revenues now, so it's a case of 'in for a penny, in for hundreds of millions of pounds'

At this stage, it looks as though Fulham & WBA have decided to invest a bit, but bank the rest, see what happens, but take relegation on the chin if it comes their way.

I agree with Swansman's point about potential buyers in the Championship - there may be a couple of teams that decide to go for broke, but I doubt there will be as many willing (/able) to pay as much for players dropping down from the PL, particularly taking into account the wages.

Agreed on this, and you also need to factor in that the top four have Champions League money to add into their overall budget.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Dale has given us excellent service over the years and been a solid performer and we should respect and appreciate that. But Potterball is all about pace, movement and craft and the Newcastle game showed that to perfection. That’s not Dale’s game though, so he goes with our thanks.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Stephens going to Burnley

I’ve criticised Stephens from time to time , and justifiably so imo

But his body of work since he joined to now has been an integral part of getting to where we are currently . He’s overall been top quality for us , that’s why Bloom said no to Burnley last time .

He wasn’t happy as it would have been Prem football for him , but he helped drive us to the Premier league that next season and held his own .

Now younger quicker talent has taken his place , that happens to every player , and if he can get more game time at Burnley then so be it

If he goes my overall memory of him will be as a quality midfielder who was here during a very exciting period for the club and the fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know it's a dance as old as time.
I know I always fall for it.
I know I should just ignore it and with a mental :wanker: in the posters general direction.
I know I shouldn't write...

...Why the rush to do Stephens down?

I'm not his biggest fan and sure I've been critical of him in the past.
Yet to me that seems so far removed from:-

'Oh goodie Stephen's is off, I better stick the boot in one last time'.

I hope DS enjoys the Autumn of his career and like so many others I'll happily give him a cheer, back at the AMEX, if the opportunity arises.

Totally this.

Been guilty on the odd occasion myself of saying it as you see it with DS. The odd hospital pass, slowing play etc...... But cannot question he always gives 100% everytime he pulls on the shirt, never shirks a scrap or getting stuck in. He has been brilliant for us generally......yeah not perfect every game, but a warrior in front of the defence who did his best and should be praised for his huge contributions.

Top bloke, top pro end of

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I’ve a memory of when Alan Navarro left us for Swindon. Barely tried a shot for us but we met them in a League Cup game and he banged in two against us including a hammer of a free kick and a mazy dribble round three defenders before finishing past our keeper. This has that feeling of inevitability :lol:

I was at that game and went on the pitch before the game to have my picture taken standing next to Gordan Greer as me and my mates (some were Swindon fans) were main sponsors for the game!!

Let's just say their 'plush' area before and after the game, and the seats from the 'posh' seats were poor:down:

As an aside, I think he has been putting the foundations of a move away for a short while - spoke to my brother this morning, who is a coach at Haywards Heath Rugby Club and coaches the age level that one of the Stephen's kids plays in........the child in question hasn't been seen for a while and the mum, who was a very prompt replier to emails, has gone AWOL and doesn't respond to anything now!

All the best Dale for your move back up North

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here