[Albion] Stephens to Burnley (deal now confirmed)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Would be a shame to see him move on, but no surprise as we seem to be upgrading on what we previously had. His range of passing and how he reads the game is sublime and he’s been a model professional even when Burnley first came knocking. One thought is, if Burnley think he can do a job, then obviously he can, now is it us surprising Burnley or us not realising what we all already have is an asset, for the poultry money being talked about, and the service he has and can provide for another season as a squad player, I’d keep him and let him leave in the summer and let him benefit from any signing on fee, that would be a nice thank you for years of great service.

Chicken feed, in other words, rather than paltry?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I’ve a memory of when Alan Navarro left us for Swindon. Barely tried a shot for us but we met them in a League Cup game and he banged in two against us including a hammer of a free kick and a mazy dribble round three defenders before finishing past our keeper.
This has that feeling of inevitability :lol:

At least we got the 3 points though

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Personally unless we know there’s another player incoming I wouldn’t let him go. It’s a shortened season with games coming thick and fast and injury and suspensions will take their toll.

I get he’s not an automatic first pick but he’s an established premier league midfielder who strengthens our squad and could more than do a job when required. I think we would regret letting him go this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally unless we know there’s another player incoming I wouldn’t let him go. It’s a shortened season with games coming thick and fast and injury and suspensions will take their toll.

I get he’s not an automatic first pick but he’s an established premier league midfielder who strengthens our squad and could more than do a job when required. I think we would regret letting him go this season.

I couldn't get on board with this thinking regarding Murray even with only 2 strikers.

There's not a snowballs chance I can even comprehend the thought process that ends with that opinion.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Dale Stephens has to be in the conversation of our greatest ever central midfielders. He came in when we were poor in the Championship and when he was in our team we became a top end Championship club followed by a comfortably lower midtable Premier League team. He had his fair share of captain appearances and he must have made as many Premier League appearances for us as anyone else with the exception of Lewis Dunk and Maty Ryan.

Our manager has decided that the balance he brings us isn't what he wants and the abilities of Bissouma and Alzate along with Davy Propper and the emerging Jayson Molumby mean we don't really need him any more and there's no point in keeping him hanging around with no hope of playing. Gross and Mac Allister are perfectly capable of dropping in as well so we're not short of options in that area of the pitch.

I'm sure other people have mentioned it, but it's another Captain leaving the club. Are we in any way worried about the Leaders and characters in the dressing room? Murray gone, Stephens gone, Duffy gone...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DS leaves will close the curtain on one particularly enjoyable aspect of modern football:-

"Akkahk bool kallha Fe Fe Fe Dale Stephens jillnnk ayyyyyyy ayyy ah"

Beautiful language.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I don’t want to see Stephens playing for Burnley. Understand if he leaves but not them! Would be a good move for him though. He gets a lot of hate nowadays and he is ponderous at times but for me him, AK and Murray are the reason we’re in the Premier League. He was absolutely brilliant in the Championship and showed some class in the PL too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought when the season ended we would be saying goodbye to at least two of our four slow CMs. Mooy has already gone. I'd have thought Stephens would be the least likely to go, but if he does, I can only wish him well; he's done a bloody good job for us.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Dale Stephens has to be in the conversation of our greatest ever central midfielders. He came in when we were poor in the Championship and when he was in our team we became a top end Championship club followed by a comfortably lower midtable Premier League team. He had his fair share of captain appearances and he must have made as many Premier League appearances for us as anyone else with the exception of Lewis Dunk and Maty Ryan.

???

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

Our manager has decided that the balance he brings us isn't what he wants and the abilities of Bissouma and Alzate along with Davy Propper and the emerging Jayson Molumby mean we don't really need him any more and there's no point in keeping him hanging around with no hope of playing. Gross and Mac Allister are perfectly capable of dropping in as well so we're not short of options in that area of the pitch.

I'm sure other people have mentioned it, but it's another Captain leaving the club. Are we in any way worried about the Leaders and characters in the dressing room? Murray gone, Stephens gone, Duffy gone...

No, I think the likes of Dunk and Lallana to name but two are more than capable of motivating a dressing room. And how do we know who is positive and who is negative in the confines of a dressing room? Duffy, for example, who’s to say his laddish ways weren’t a negative? We’ve no idea. Add to that Bruno’s influence we may just have a better group?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Stephens going to Burnley

Re: your last paragraph, no.

We have other leaders in the side - obviously Dunk but also Ryan and Lallana. I would also say that Webster is getting that way - he’s very vocal on the pitch - and Bissouma is showing real maturity and leadership with his performances. As well as being an outstanding player he is also a very strong character and I think will make a natural captain.

I will say our no dick heads criteria helps with this too. We have a lot of players who might be quieter but lead by example too I would say - Burn, March, Gross etc.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

We have other leaders in the side - obviously Dunk but also Ryan and Lallana. I would also say that Webster is getting that way - he’s very vocal on the pitch - and Bissouma is showing real maturity and leadership with his performances. As well as being an oustanding player he is also a very strong character and I think will make a natural captain.

Not to forget Bielsa rates Hayden Roberts as a leader.
Must count for a lot :lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

We have other leaders in the side - obviously Dunk but also Ryan and Lallana. I would also say that Webster is getting that way - he’s very vocal on the pitch - and Bissouma is showing real maturity and leadership with his performances. As well as being an oustanding player he is also a very strong character and I think will make a natural captain.

Ryan? Webster? - don’t think either of them are leaders IMO. They are just doing their job in games communication wise. (Passing the ball with information etc).

Ryan if anything is too quiet.

You could well be right re Bissouma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Ryan? Webster? - don’t think either of them are leaders IMO. They are just doing their job in games communication wise. (Passing the ball with information etc).

Ryan if anything is too quiet.

You could well be right re Bissouma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, I just don’t understand where all this knowledge of what individuals are like in the confines of a dressing room with their mates and colleagues come from?
It’s a very different situation playing in front of TV audiences or 30k crowds or being interviewed in front of cameras to being behind closed doors which is something none of us (despite what some like to think) are privy to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has he gone yet?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think Potter has seen enough in training to know that Ben White will work in his midfield set up.

All the best Dale. Fabulous, underrated footballer. #neverforgivetheshyster

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports