Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens to Burnley (deal now confirmed)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But just shouting is not leading, it’s what they’re saying, which is more or less what you said earlier [emoji2]

At this level they should all be ‘talking’ on the pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What exactly is the basis of your rather stern view that Webster is not a leader?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What exactly is the basis of your rather stern view that Webster is not a leader?

People always underestimate stare out competitions.

I once stared out an accomplished UK based footballer at a charity golf day over his ability to count and have thought less of him since, weak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can someone at least put a question mark or something on the thread title as right now the title gives it more of a "done deal" vibe than I think it deserves.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can someone at least put a question mark or something on the thread title as right now the title gives it more of a "done deal" vibe than I think it deserves.

But then they'll only have to take it off again when he goes!
:wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stephens going to Burnley

Good question. And to be clear I think he has come along on leaps and bounds, so not linked to ability.

Not inspirational for me, with other players particularly.

The other thing is being brave enough to call players out if not doing their job, which will come as he grows in confidence. Certainly Duffy, Rosenoir, Stephens, Murray we’re in recent times.

I have no idea what he’s like in the changing room......

Biggest thing is respect which you earn through achievements or in some cases longevity.

Not sure it’s stern BTW, just a view.

Last edited:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Good question. And to be clear I think he has come along on leaps and bounds, so not linked to ability.

Not inspirational for me, with other players particularly.

The other thing is being brave enough to call players out if not doing their job, which will come as he grows in confidence. Certainly Duffy, Rosenoir, Stephens, Murray we’re in recent times.

I have no idea what he’s like in the changing room......

Biggest thing is respect which you earn through achievements or in some cases longevity.

Not sure it’s stern BTW, just a view.

I think he has the potential to be. Was quite vocal in the friendly against Chelsea, and always struck me as a leader when he was at Bristol but to be fair he was by far the best defender they had.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He went to Burnley on Monday. Whether that was for talks , a medical or to actually sign I don’t know.

I’ll be surprised if he doesnt sign

I’d make a guess that Burnley are playing silly ***ts with the fee/player terms etc. No surprise after their 20 bids with increments of £10k four years ago.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So we thought we had some (rather dull / boring) inside info, but it turns out it all came to light after a daily mirror article appeared as it so happens. And Potter hasn’t heard anything yet NSC posters have? Seems there was some guesswork going on...

It’s clear he’ll prob go, but the ‘itk’ posts about it being done / him travelling up there etc are / were wrong! Same old NSC / Chinese whispers!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Dale Stephens has to be in the conversation of our greatest ever central midfielders. He came in when we were poor in the Championship and when he was in our team we became a top end Championship club followed by a comfortably lower midtable Premier League team. He had his fair share of captain appearances and he must have made as many Premier League appearances for us as anyone else with the exception of Lewis Dunk and Maty Ryan.

Our manager has decided that the balance he brings us isn't what he wants and the abilities of Bissouma and Alzate along with Davy Propper and the emerging Jayson Molumby mean we don't really need him any more and there's no point in keeping him hanging around with no hope of playing. Gross and Mac Allister are perfectly capable of dropping in as well so we're not short of options in that area of the pitch.

I'm sure other people have mentioned it, but it's another Captain leaving the club. Are we in any way worried about the Leaders and characters in the dressing room? Murray gone, Stephens gone, Duffy gone...

He came in during Oscar's time in charge, presumably in January 2014. He then I think got clobbered by some clogger from Yeovil in the final game that season, and was out if I remember correctly for the whole 2014-15 season. It's one of those strange turns of events that, had he not got injured, we might not have had the near and then successful promotion seasons. Hyypia used Jake Forster-Caskey, whose best position was as an attacking midfielder and the (from what I could see) completely uninterested Gary Gardner as central midfielders, and we were often overrun in midfield. Had Dale been there, we probably wouldn't have been, and Hyypia wouldn't have resigned, as we'd have been higher up the table, but we almost certainly wouldn't have gained promotion. Of course, he was brilliant over the next two seasons under Hughton. I must admit I was very annoyed with him when he wanted to go to Burnley and wrote that letter, but he knuckled down and played superbly. I suppose he doesn't fit into Potter's style any more, but I can't help thinking letting him go will weaken the squad. It only takes Bissouma's suspension and for Alzate to suffer a recurrence of his injury and we're looking a bit thin in midfield.

Glendemic

May 13, 2016
Portslade
He went to Burnley on Monday. Whether that was for talks , a medical or to actually sign I don’t know.

I’ll be surprised if he doesnt sign

I saw him in the lanes with a woman I presume was his partner mid day on Monday. So unless that was his body double he almost certainly wasn't in Burnley.

They didn't look exactly pumped or anything though, and weirdly I saw Stockdale around there a few days before he shipped off as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here