Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
finished new small raised bed for veggies. 5 metres x 1.2 metres, edged with sleepers.

removed the turf first, lightly forked the top of the clay soil underneath. covered with 3 layers of cardboard, we’ll soaked. over covered that with a 8” covering of mix topsoil, mushroom compost and well rotted manure. Well watered to get the manure flavours down a bit to encourage the worms to feed.

so, hopefully everything planted ‘should’ get a good start!

here’s hoping

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
finished new small raised bed for veggies. 5 metres x 1.2 metres, edged with sleepers.

removed the turf first, lightly forked the top of the clay soil underneath. covered with 3 layers of cardboard, we’ll soaked. over covered that with a 8” covering of mix topsoil, mushroom compost and well rotted manure. Well watered to get the manure flavours down a bit to encourage the worms to feed.

here’s hoping

Love the bit about "manure flavours". Could make a good packet of crisps? You should grow something in that set-up.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

here’s hoping

Is that all essential? I've just dug out a patch of grass, dug it over and raked it a couple of times and was going to plant a few bits of veg in it. Feeling like I may be underprepared!

I think I've got some of that fish blood and bone stuff somewhere, worth sprinkling that on to try and improve my chances a bit?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Is that all essential? I've just dug out a patch of grass, dug it over and raked it a couple of times and was going to plant a few bits of veg in it. Feeling like I may be underprepared!

I think I've got some of that fish blood and bone stuff somewhere, worth sprinkling that on to try and improve my chances a bit?

What you've done so far sounds good. A dressing of Fish, Blood and Bone will add vital nutrients for all aspects of plant growth. Provided you dug to around 300mm deep, you should produce something. Weeding and watering is key.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How fast do olive trees grow?

We bought one in 1995 and kept it in a pot for 25 years. It hardly grew at all but was happy. 25 years we smashed it out the pot. Wasn’t too root bound. Planted at allotment and it’s taken off to give bushy shade to our seating area. 4m high and 4m circumference despite extreme pruning measures.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
What you've done so far sounds good. A dressing of Fish, Blood and Bone will add vital nutrients for all aspects of plant growth. Provided you dug to around 300mm deep, you should produce something. Weeding and watering is key.

Thanks, my bigger issue is that the only spot I had was close to some great big leylandi type trees (and partly under the rain shadow of them - had a tree surgeon ready to come out but a pay cut meant that booking had to go) and between two fruit trees so I'm going to really have to keep on top of watering to give them any chance. To be honest I wasn't planning on having an actual veg plot at all and was going to just use containers, but as I had nothing else to do last weekend I thought I might as well give it a shot and plant some potatoes, kale and beans and see what happens.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How fast do olive trees grow?

F34A556A-69B6-4054-9240-B1EA7EE92B12.jpeg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Thanks, my bigger issue is that the only spot I had was close to some great big leylandi type trees (and partly under the rain shadow of them - had a tree surgeon ready to come out but a pay cut meant that booking had to go) and between two fruit trees so I'm going to really have to keep on top of watering to give them any chance. To be honest I wasn't planning on having an actual veg plot at all and was going to just use containers, but as I had nothing else to do last weekend I thought I might as well give it a shot and plant some potatoes, kale and beans and see what happens.

Gardening is all about 'seeing what happens'. You don't need to have the skills of a Titchmarsh to enjoy your outdoor space. It can be addictive, especially as the weather warms up and to be able to eat produce straight from the garden....totally different taste.
You could add colour, texture and scent to your kitchen garden, or add a salad or main crop to your flower garden. You are limited by your own imagination. Growing a senses border/pot can really be educational for kids(and adults). Also, a bug hunt with google at the ready, can teach everyone what is good for the garden and what you need to throw at the neighbours cat!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

Don’t worry about what i’ve done and you haven’t, i don’t really have a clue what i’m doing, it will be a case of if it lives it’s a bonus, if it dies all i’ve just wasted some money and a few hours.

:smile:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Together with my daughter, I sowed a whole load of wild flower seeds in my garden last weekend. I usually put down slug pellets as the seedlings emerge to negate them being hoovered up by slugs and snails. But partly because it will hard to find slug pellets this year and partly because I'd like to try something less toxic but equally effective, does the panel (aka [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]) have any suggestions for alternatives?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Together with my daughter, I sowed a whole load of wild flower seeds in my garden last weekend. I usually put down slug pellets as the seedlings emerge to negate them being hoovered up by slugs and snails. But partly because it will hard to find slug pellets this year and partly because I'd like to try something less toxic but equally effective, does the panel (aka [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]) have any suggestions for alternatives?
A very light covering of horticultural grit (not pea-beach) should help. They won't be too keen on slithering over that. It would be like us walking on broken glass.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Providing the area you've sown isn't huge, daily reconnaissance removing any by hand and putting them somewhere for the birds is another option.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] Try potatoes 1st year as it helps to break the clay up. For 1st year on clay soil.
Hi jack yes on.smallish areas . We eat
lots of eggs and save all our eggshells . Lucky we're not egg bound tbh.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Alternate slug removal.
Slug pub. Waste of beer but does work
Grapefruit half. Eat the grapefruit, put the remainder upside down. Requires removal of molluscs each day. Effective
Nightly recce to affected area. Requires removal of molluscs
Some say chopped garlic/onions/chives works. Makes me heave
There are a few others, but I've not tried them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here