Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I'm getting the same from my elderly parents 78 & 83. My Mum's taking the advice but trying to talk sense to Dad is like talking to a belligerent teenager!! I've tried the tough talk, "if you get it at your age and with your health history, you'll die" but even that hasn't sunk in! He simply doesn't seem to grasp how serious it is and only seems bothered about being able to stroll to the shop and get his bleeding newspapers!! No care for himself of any other person, I'm losing my rag with the old git.

100% the same here, 78 and 83, my mum happy to comply, my dad having none of it. Neither have grasped the reality of it and they’re both Daily Mail readers, which I would have thought would be ramming it down their throats (unless The Mail is too busy spouting about something like hijab/niqab wearing Muslim women being the only ones who will survive this)

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm getting the same from my elderly parents 78 & 83. My Mum's taking the advice but trying to talk sense to Dad is like talking to a belligerent teenager!! I've tried the tough talk, "if you get it at your age and with your health history, you'll die" but even that hasn't sunk in! He simply doesn't seem to grasp how serious it is and only seems bothered about being able to stroll to the shop and get his bleeding newspapers!! No care for himself of any other person, I'm losing my rag with the old git.

My Mum is the same, keeps asking me to see her but I have been asked not to by her carer, as I have a cold and have been told to stay clear. In fact we had a bit of a row about it, she started going on about how she survived bombings in London and the killer smogs of the 50s when over 4000 to an estimated 12,000 died, I keep saying to her its not all about you its others we don't want to effect. Its almost like she is going out just to spit the current situation!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We have just had all leave cancelled at work until August because they are expecting staff shortages so I’m guessing we won’t all be locked down. We are pretty closely advised by local government so I can’t see a full lockdown but we’ll see.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just hearsay, could be bllocks but would not be that surprising. Let's see what Boris says at 5 pm

This is one of the posts/rumours that are circulating. The vehicles are on the wrong side of the road for Britain.

[tweet]1240270840400355329[/tweet]

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
100% the same here, 78 and 83, my mum happy to comply, my dad having none of it. Neither have grasped the reality of it and they’re both Daily Mail readers, which I would have thought would be ramming it down their throats (unless The Mail is too busy spouting about something like hijab/niqab wearing Muslim women being the only ones who will survive this)

Are we brothers!?! The shame of it!!! :D

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away. So many people are getting very confused.
Don’t gather in large numbers,
Wash your hands regularly,
Stay away from those who have the virus.

But do get out and about. Use your local businesses and cafes etc, even if you don’t want to sit in. Get out, exercise, walk, see people, just be sensitive to the situation.

"Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away"

But they probably should because the covid-19 virus has a typical 2 week incubation period.
Means they might feel fine and have no symptoms but may ALREADY be infected !!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is one of the posts/rumours that are circulating. The vehicles are on the wrong side of the road for Britain.

[tweet]1240270840400355329[/tweet]

Lots of people who get off on making sensational announcements.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away"

But they probably should because the covid-19 virus has a typical 2 week incubation period.
Means they might feel fine and have no symptoms but may ALREADY be infected !!

I take your point. That’s why we should be aware of those around us and keep trips out to a minimum.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There will be a forced lock down for over 70s for 12 weeks and the rest of us for 2 weeks with police and army enforcement shortly

.........and people moan at over 70s for hoarding and panic buying when what they're very reasonably doing is trying to stock up for 12 weeks isolation. Common sense, wouldn't you agree? No point in dodging coronavirus if you starve to death.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I had a whatsapp from my mate saying there was a 'coronavirus party' in Wandsworth last night (not verified)

I'm in Tenerife and in lockdown and most people are respecting it. But a few, and I regret all Brit's as far as I could tell are ignoring. Have made two trips out one to pharmacy and one to get food passed a couple small groups chatting in street, a couple jogging in full gear, and couples in shop when we're told only one person out at a time. Many also look like they are using our local shop as some sort of informal meeting point

[tweet]1239584711346769920[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/RTUKnews/status/1239584711346769920

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
I bought some knitted (washable) gloves at Millets on Tuesday, and together with a facemask I bought a year ago to counteract the air pollution in Thailand, I feel pretty well protected when I venture out for essentials. I've blocked or shielded to some extent the mucus membrane areas where a stray droplet might enter the body (Eyes,nose,mouth...I wear glasses). There's not much more I can do without wearing a welders face shield so I'm comfortable with what I'm wearing.

I've avoided all public transport, cafes etc so the only place I connect with others is in shops and supermarkets, I've started to use these late evening onwards as there's less people about then.

I am taking it seriously.

On Sunday evening, I put the facemask on for the first time and went shopping on Western Road. Outside Sainsburys a young (18-ish?) teenage girl was walking towards me with her boyfriend. She lunged towards me as we passed and deliberately coughed as he lurched forward in my direction,and they both laughed out loud.
I was too shocked to respond, but thinking about it later I should have made her regret that. It's ignorance of the highest order, and could potentially be a death sentence. If people are going to behave like this on the street then there's a bigger problem than we might now believe.

It's the teenagers and younger people who aren't taking this at all seriously. I passed a pub last night where it was business as usual, but all 20-something age group.They are carrying on regardless, with a seemingly carefree attitude and behaviour to match.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's the teenagers and younger people who aren't taking this at all seriously. I passed a pub last night where it was business as usual, but all 20-something age group.They are carrying on regardless, with a seemingly carefree attitude and behaviour to match.

And therein lies a lot of the problem. As I understand it, if you're young and healthy you have little to fear, at worst two or three days of feeling a bit sh*t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here