Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks.

It's one-on-one tuition in a small pool - 4 or 5 kids being taught at a time, but I completely get the changing room thing, which is what I said to my partner this morning when we were discussing it. We'll have another chat when she's home before his scheduled lesson later on.

The advise we were given is that if you must swim the best way forward is to change beforehand, Swim and then put a Dry robe on and leave immediately. Plenty on Amazon. There's me in mine for my channel swim that is now highly unlikely to take place

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/nik-collins37

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are a lot of selfish idiots out there who won't do anything until they are forced to. The stories coming from some of those stuck in places like Benidorn are hardly surprising considering the typical British holidaymaker who visits Spanish resorts like Benidorm.
But, it's the reality across Europe really, as we don't like to be told what to do in this part of the world, unlike Asia (whether that's through being scared shitless of the government, due to social conformity, or both, depends on the country!), which is why it's spread like wildfire in a lot of European countries.

Personally taking it seriously - getting out and about for walks and to buy food etc, but being as sensible as possible. Lucky both of us are able to work from home now, too.

I saw a video on Facebook yesterday, taken from a balcony, of a swimming pool cordoned off. Obviously the guests had been told not to go in.
One silly British girl decided it didn't apply to her, so she is swimming away, showing off, when the hotel security and a policeman turn up. The security bloke strips off, dives in and drags her to the side, non too ceremoniously, and the copper arrests her, in her bikini, with handcuffs. She is then taken away!
The other British guests are clapping and cheering the police, whilst she is whining 'You're hurting my elbow'.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've been working from home since Friday. I went for a few beers with some friends on Saturday night but that will be the last social gathering I'll be going to for however long. I'm now just going out for groceries, the odd takeaway coffee and lunch, and running. I'd really struggle without the running.

The restrictions are more like Europe here. Ontario has declared a state of emergency. The Canadian borders are closed to non residents with the exception of US citizens (although that's changing soon). All schools and universities are closed for at least 3 weeks (this is a holiday week anyway). The city of Toronto has officially ordered all pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to close apart from offering takeaway services. Most gyms and leisure facilities are closed too.

I've been out for a run at about 5pm the last 2 evenings. It's quite weird out there. Everything is very quiet but there's still people around. Everyone is keeping a safe distance from each other but you can see at that time of the day they've been desperate to just go outside and get some fresh air.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The advise we were given is that if you must swim the best way forward is to change beforehand, Swim and then put a Dry robe on and leave immediately. Plenty on Amazon. There's me in mine for my channel swim that is now highly unlikely to take place

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/nik-collins37

Rewind a minute...channel swim!?! I was thinking of going in for the first time since December this week, but the current local sea temp is 8. If I’d kept it up through the winter I could manage it, but straight into 8 degrees might be a bit much.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My wife works part time for Sainsburys as a checkout operator at their Lyons Farm Worthing store. When she went into work 2 weeks ago there were notices on each of the checkout positions informing them that Sainsburys would NOT be providing them with hand sanitant and that it was the responsibility of the staff to provide their own. I do our weekly shopping at the store and know for a fact they had not had any hand sanitant on sale for over 3 weeks. Surely Sainsburys has a duty of care to both its staff and customers. Also how the hell are the checkout operators meant to keep 1 - 2 metres from people going through a checkout?
And I find it laughable that suddenly, this morning,Sainsburys has developed a social conscience and is 'rationing' the number of items people can buy at any one time. Up to today they were absolutely fine about people grabbing as much as they liked of anything in the store and did nothing to stop it.
I am considered to be 'at risk'as I have asthma, a heart condition and are borderline type 2 Diabetes. Before she started work today I told her to inform her manager that she was not prepared to operate a checkout unless Sainsburys provide her with hand sanitant as operating without it was putting her, her family and the customers at serious risk but that she was quite prepared to work at other duties in the store. I await her return to see what has happened.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just got back from Montague St Worthing. Very busy as it’s market day. Can’t see anything different from normal. No one taking this seriously yet apart from some empty shelves in the food/medicine/soap departments

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Rewind a minute...channel swim!?! I was thinking of going in for the first time since December this week, but the current local sea temp is 8. If I’d kept it up through the winter I could manage it, but straight into 8 degrees might be a bit much.

It's only a relay not the whole thing and it won't be till September (There are 5 of us swimming an hour at a time), so its probably "only" 3 hours swimming. I normally do a 10KM once a year so the distance isn't the problem more then 2 hour qualifying swim in temps lower than 15 which effectively gives me till the end of May, maybe early June. At present, that's the bit in doubt as I can't see the end of sight.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Elsewhere I've seen a few people comment on cafes and coffee shops being busy, with others seemingly congratulating people for carrying on. Isn't this exactly the behaviour that got Italy into trouble?

People with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, either because they believe they are low-risk, "it's only sniffles", "hardly anyone has it - what's the fuss about?" or believe that because they are not symptomatic, they couldn't be part of the problem, think it's OK to ignore the advice being handed out.

Initial research indicates that people can spread the virus before they are symptomatic (they may even remain completely asymptomatic throughout infection), and it's through this that the growth of the virus really ramps up.

I've heard a few mentions on the radio this morning of people not taking it seriously yet. I'm guessing that if virus spread out-strips model forecasts and health resources do become overwhelmed then we may see mandatory stay-at-home instructions as in other nations. Surely we don't want that if we can avoid it?

We will continue to support our local businesses. We love our local independent coffee shop and we'll still get drinks and cake but will takeaway instead of sitting in, and we'll do the same with favourite restaurants that offer takeaway services.

Are you taking it seriously?

Please don't turn this into a "they should shut the pubs if they don't want us to use them" or "they should shut the schools then" thread. This is about YOUR behaviour with regard to social distancing.

Trying, but it's difficult as you say. So yesterday, I'm standing in a queue outside Hove Polyclinic before it opens waiting for a blood test for something that is a marker of 'at risk' and I'm about 6th....everyone in front spaced out a good distance, and some pryck comes and stands right behind me. I just said outright, " stand away, EVERYONE in this queue is probably at risk - *pointing* "See how it's done. He gave me a glare and moved away, but the looks in all the other faces were about agreement. Which was still a pain to say it. Others arrived and continued to spread out, as is recommended.

Out in the street youngsters walking with their heads down in the magic brain-sub, will practically walk into you. Similarly, young women runners especially, will come galloping right past exhaling as you'd expect when running, with an "I'm not moving for any old bloke" look (even if you're towering a foot over them and twice their body muscle mass. I blame Laura Croft movies.

But on the plus side, more and more younger people get it, so there is hope.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am in the 'Can't really do much about it camp'. I would like to adhere to the rules but I work in a college where yesterday I invigilated a warm exam hall of 70 students followed by a staff meeting. My college is still open so I am walking to and from work every day then sitting in classrooms full of people. It is for this reason that the Gov needs to make a decision now if we are genuine about social distancing.

Exactly. They either need to start getting serious, or just drop the pretence altogether of trying to control it.

Current situation is a nonsense.

I'm working on my own, in an otherwise empty office, and my younger son is setting up to WFH from Monday. The family are prepared to do whatever is required, regards social distancing, for the greater good - but all the time my older son is heading off each day to teach* 1000+ kids, some of them sent in coughing and wheezing, by their selfish moron parents - everything else we do as a household is a total waste of time, effort and goodwill.

*'teach' is stretching it - lets not kid ourselves that any kids currently in schools are learning anything. All they are thinking about is when is the school closing? / what will happen with our exams? / who is this stand-in teacher? / where's child A, B, C, D today? No-one there is concentrating on the actual curriculum, and the teachers couldn't press on with a topic anyhow, as the missing 30% of the class will be left behind.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
ff916c71646d53c17c44074fbbcf0f69.jpg

To be fair the above advice, for those not at high risk, is pretty vague- ‘as much as is pragmatic’ will be interpreted differently by everyone.

Personally I am staying at home and working from home, other than walks / runs and food shopping when necessary. Would like to go to the gym, but not sure whether to.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
As adults we can make responsible choices for both ourselves and children regarding social distancing. I guess, the harder group will be those in their mid- late teens and early 20's. When going out is what you live for.

its gonna be hard for youngsters not go out pubbing/clubbing, visit girlfriends etc etc. Not that it wont be hard for the rest of us - particularly having to deal with moody teens.

What a lost year 2020 is going to be.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having been into town briefly both on Saturday and today, it seems to be mostly pensioners who're ignoring the advice, unless that's just here.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Seriously.
(although it helps that I'm an antisocial git anyway).
Been working from home since getting back from the States last Monday, as I have underlying illnesses which put me in the danger zone!
Work is preparing for all staff to WFH, with test days yesterday and today for 50:50 split to test network VPN etc. I expect us to go full company some time next week.
Shopping and vets visits this week, wore latex gloves and kept my distance as much as possible.

Both parents back home in Sussex >80 and illnesses, Mum taking notice, but Dad still insists going to get paper and down the corner shop. Have ensured that he washes his hands fully and that he's putting them both at serious risk, but its like talking to a brick wall!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been working from home since Friday. I went for a few beers with some friends on Saturday night but that will be the last social gathering I'll be going to for however long. I'm now just going out for groceries, the odd takeaway coffee and lunch, and running. I'd really struggle without the running.

The restrictions are more like Europe here. Ontario has declared a state of emergency. The Canadian borders are closed to non residents with the exception of US citizens (although that's changing soon). All schools and universities are closed for at least 3 weeks (this is a holiday week anyway). The city of Toronto has officially ordered all pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to close apart from offering takeaway services. Most gyms and leisure facilities are closed too.

I've been out for a run at about 5pm the last 2 evenings. It's quite weird out there. Everything is very quiet but there's still people around. Everyone is keeping a safe distance from each other but you can see at that time of the day they've been desperate to just go outside and get some fresh air.

Pretty much describing exactly my life........running yesterday was weird. Not much traffic, but several people out walking alone/in couples and an eerie silence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Having been into town briefly both on Saturday and today, it seems to be mostly pensioners who're ignoring the advice, unless that's just here.

At least the pension deficit will be sorted by the end of the year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here