Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
All the while my kids are at school this all seems pointless.
Gov tell people to avoid pubs and clubs yet gyms etc happily still open!! I’ve not been to the gym since last week and won’t again until this is over now. It’s doing my head in already but trail running and circuits for me now. Luckily I live in a village just north of Brighton so this is possible without meeting anyone. I feel for people in the city.
Shut everything bar food shops and pharmacies, for 2 weeks, be done with it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
All the while my kids are at school this all seems pointless.
Gov tell people to avoid pubs and clubs yet gyms etc happily still open!! I’ve not been to the gym since last week and won’t again until this is over now. It’s doing my head in already but trail running and circuits for me now. Luckily I live in a village just north of Brighton so this is possible without meeting anyone. I feel for people in the city.
Shut everything bar food shops and pharmacies, for 2 weeks, be done with it.

Be done with what? What happens in 2 weeks time when you all start mixing again?

3 months is more likely the starting point.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I am finding it a bit weird / hard to be honest.
Whilst I am accepting that I probably won't be going to a pub, restaurant, cafe etc for while, and have cancelled other social things in public places, I work on a construction site with 100-150 people.
Due to the nature of the job, we can be in very close contact, especially an extremely cramped tea room, changing room, and dirty toilets, where still the majority of people aren't washing their hands after having a dump or piss!
So whilst in my own private time I am doing what I can, I know I could be a prime candidate still for passing any virus onto others.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well, unfortunately it boils down to common sense.
However, our biggest concern is the elderly. Walking from Lancing to Shoreham just now it’s really disappointing seeing so may old people out and about and looking perplexed when I distance myself from them.
Silly old sods.

I am really not being pedantic.
I just wanted some advice on how often I should was my hands.

Common sense isn't specific enough :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

PS. Why is it ok for you to be out and not them?

I thought Gov advice was it was ok to go out for excercise but not in a crowd.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
ff916c71646d53c17c44074fbbcf0f69.jpg

To be fair the above advice, for those not at high risk, is pretty vague- ‘as much as is pragmatic’ will be interpreted differently by everyone.

Personally I am staying at home and working from home, other than walks / runs and food shopping when necessary. Would like to go to the gym, but not sure whether to.
"Your employer should support you to do this".

Lol.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am finding it a bit weird / hard to be honest.
Whilst I am accepting that I probably won't be going to a pub, restaurant, cafe etc for while, and have cancelled other social things in public places, I work on a construction site with 100-150 people.
Due to the nature of the job, we can be in very close contact, especially an extremely cramped tea room, changing room, and dirty toilets, where still the majority of people aren't washing their hands after having a dump or piss!
So whilst in my own private time I am doing what I can, I know I could be a prime candidate still for passing any virus onto others.

I spend plenty of time on such sites. The mess rooms are pretty disgusting even in normal times. I'd completely swerve it, tbh. Take your own food / flask of tea - eat in your van / car.

Carry hand gel. Keep your gloves on all the time. Piss, wash, out in as short time as possible. Dump at home before work - never, ever, ever, EVER use the full facilities in a site toilet block :sick:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I spend plenty of time on such sites. The mess rooms are pretty disgusting even in normal times. I'd completely swerve it, tbh. Take your own food / flask of tea - eat in your van / car.

Carry hand gel. Keep your gloves on all the time. Piss, wash, out in as short time as possible. Dump at home before work - never, ever, ever, EVER use the full facilities in a site toilet block :sick:

There's a man who knows my problems!
Unfortunately we have to park so far away from site, the van idea isn't a possibility, and whilst I do try to unload my guts before work, I do get caught out occasionally.....
Funny, we've had all the tool box talks, (in cramped over crowded offices / containers) about CV, posters everywhere. But at the end of the day it's just get on with your bloody job cos we're running behind and facing penalty clauses. Oh well......

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hove Tesco and George street still busy - I was surprised. % of the elderly?- I was gobsmacled. Don't know if I noticed it more but they seemed to be everywhere. My mum and dad, 79 and 81 are part listening but already beligerent and annoyed about it, they're not really fully conforming.

edit - I must admit mentally it's affecting me, that they won't listen even though I know ultimately it's up to them.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There will be a forced lock down for over 70s for 12 weeks and the rest of us for 2 weeks with police and army enforcement shortly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am really not being pedantic.
I just wanted some advice on how often I should was my hands.

Common sense isn't specific enough :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

PS. Why is it ok for you to be out and not them?

I thought Gov advice was it was ok to go out for excercise but not in a crowd.

I understand, sorry wasn’t trying to be glib. I can only speak for myself but re the hand washing; I carry sanitizer and wash my hands with soap and water when I can. Or if I’ve blown my nose or been on public transport. Also before leaving and when getting home.

I’m out and about to a minimum and in open spaces where possible.
Unfortunately, my job means I have to leave the house as we have people in our care in houses and refuges that need to be staffed.

However I do think younger, fit and healthy people should get out and about within reason. But obviously pay attention to who is around and where you’re going.

I’m trying to adopt a cautious yet not over cautious attitude to it all whilst paying attention to updates as they come in.

I think people will become more sensible as time goes on.

I think overall, we’ve got this.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Hove Tesco and George street still busy - I was surprised. % of the elderly?- I was gobsmacled. Don't know if I noticed it more but they seemed to be everywhere. My mum and dad, 79 and 81 are part listening but already beligerent and annoyed about it, they're not really fully conforming.

edit - I must admit mentally it's affecting me, that they won't listen even though I know ultimately it's up to them.

I'm getting the same from my elderly parents 78 & 83. My Mum's taking the advice but trying to talk sense to Dad is like talking to a belligerent teenager!! I've tried the tough talk, "if you get it at your age and with your health history, you'll die" but even that hasn't sunk in! He simply doesn't seem to grasp how serious it is and only seems bothered about being able to stroll to the shop and get his bleeding newspapers!! No care for himself of any other person, I'm losing my rag with the old git.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There will be a forced lock down for over 70s for 12 weeks and the rest of us for 2 weeks with police and army enforcement shortly

It's exactly that sort of unlinked speculation (no doubt repeated on Facebook) that leads to panic buyers stripping shelves, and therefore, ironically, it becoming more likely as people rush to the shops en masse.

We got our last online delivery on Sunday (and I binned off a booked one to free up for more needy) and the driver told us there was a huge queue outside Durrington Tescos 2 hours before it opened. Two hours of mixing with hundreds of people in a stressful situation. Not much different to going to the football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Don't be silly. I rang the hospital this morning because I am due to have a small surgical procedure on Saturday, and I wanted to know if it was likely to be cancelled. They said no, please come in.

If the hospital isn't worried about me, then nobody else should be.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seems a bit OTT, can I ask how you know this?

Just hearsay, could be bllocks but would not be that surprising. Let's see what Boris says at 5 pm

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Has a full lockdown for everyone been suggested somewhere?

If everyone did the right thing by the current guidelines you’d hope it wouldn’t need come to that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's exactly that sort of unlinked speculation (no doubt repeated on Facebook) that leads to panic buyers stripping shelves, and therefore, ironically, it becoming more likely as people rush to the shops en masse.

We got our last online delivery on Sunday (and I binned off a booked one to free up for some stockpiling **** to immediately take advantage of) and the driver told us there was a huge queue outside Durrington Tescos 2 hours before it opened. Two hours of mixing with hundreds of people in a stressful situation. Not much different to going to the football.

Corrected for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here