Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm 60 on Sunday and also a T1 diabetic as is Mrs SS
She had planned a surprise birthday meal up here on Friday with Mum [87] and Dad [93] being brought up from Brighton by my little sis [55] and B-in-L, plus big sis [64] from Bristol and cuz [65] from Chichester.
She had to break the secret to me this morning - I've cancelled it.

Was also going for a trip to the UK space centre in Leicester on Sunday with a mate - I've cancelled that too ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
ECB advice announcement.

Many of you will know I coach cricket to county juniors - here's an email I've had from HQ today ...
ECB COVID-19.JPG

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I bought some knitted (washable) gloves at Millets on Tuesday, and together with a facemask I bought a year ago to counteract the air pollution in Thailand, I feel pretty well protected when I venture out for essentials. I've blocked or shielded to some extent the mucus membrane areas where a stray droplet might enter the body (Eyes,nose,mouth...I wear glasses). There's not much more I can do without wearing a welders face shield so I'm comfortable with what I'm wearing.

I've avoided all public transport, cafes etc so the only place I connect with others is in shops and supermarkets, I've started to use these late evening onwards as there's less people about then.

I am taking it seriously.

On Sunday evening, I put the facemask on for the first time and went shopping on Western Road. Outside Sainsburys a young (18-ish?) teenage girl was walking towards me with her boyfriend. She lunged towards me as we passed and deliberately coughed as he lurched forward in my direction,and they both laughed out loud.
I was too shocked to respond, but thinking about it later I should have made her regret that. It's ignorance of the highest order, and could potentially be a death sentence. If people are going to behave like this on the street then there's a bigger problem than we might now believe.

It's the teenagers and younger people who aren't taking this at all seriously. I passed a pub last night where it was business as usual, but all 20-something age group.They are carrying on regardless, with a seemingly carefree attitude and behaviour to match.

Am very sorry to hear of your experience Crackpot, yet not overly surprised. Feral youth everywhere!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Taking it seriously, but with the caveat that if I find out a friend actually has it (rather than just 'might') then I do intend to visit them and get it sooner rather than later.

At the end of the day, any vaccine will be a long way off and I do think that 80% of us will get it, I would rather be in the "had it" category rather than avoid it but be forever worried/cautious.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not very seriously. Measures being taken are disproportionate in my opinion. As Mike Gooley, boss of Trailfinders said in a letter to the Times, "were this virus singling out infants and children rather than the weakest of the elderly then no measure would be too draconian. But almost all the fatalities caused by Covid-19 relate to hastening the end of very long lives. The damage being done is well on course to eclipse that which the virus itself would have inflicted given more restrained measures."

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I bought some knitted (washable) gloves at Millets on Tuesday, and together with a facemask I bought a year ago to counteract the air pollution in Thailand, I feel pretty well protected when I venture out for essentials.

Keep your gloves on all the time.

Does wearing gloves actually make any real difference though?

My understanding is that this virus is transferred by touch.
e.g. infected person wipes nose = virus on hand
hand touches another surface [e.g. door handle] = virus transferred to door handle surface
Next person comes along and touches door handle = virus now transferred to their hand.
This person then wipes their nose / rubs their eye and the virus makes entry into their body.

Only if you don't wipe your nose / rub your eyes whilst wearing gloves will it make any difference - the virus doesn't penetrate your skin to get into your body.
If you pick up the virus on a glove, the next thing you touch will have the virus deposited upon it, same as if it was on your bare hand.
So how does wearing gloves make any difference?

Sounds like gloves are a false sense of security to me - what am I missing?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not very seriously. Measures being taken are disproportionate in my opinion. As Mike Gooley, boss of Trailfinders said in a letter to the Times, "were this virus singling out infants and children rather than the weakest of the elderly then no measure would be too draconian. But almost all the fatalities caused by Covid-19 relate to hastening the end of very long lives. The damage being done is well on course to eclipse that which the virus itself would have inflicted given more restrained measures."

I wonder what he would say if he did not own a travel agents?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Since they added pregnant women into the higher risk category I've been taking it more seriously. We've cancelled a big family meal out on Saturday and my baby shower in April, will most likely be cancelled too. My in-laws are having lots of family round for a meal at Easter but we'll need to decide on that nearer the time.

I work from home, so that's not a problem, and my husband will get the food shopping.

Thankfully I have a dog, who I'll still be taking for walks, otherwise I'd probably go insane!

Shame it had to affect you personally before you took it more seriously.

I would say 75% is an ambitious chunk of society to follow through with this. Just have to hope and trust they have it right I suppose.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

The issue is that the NHS, which, in normal times, does not discriminate on any level, will be completely overwhelmed by a non-immunised/non-vaccine controlled pandemic virus. The elderly (good innings) and vulnerable (more susceptible) will take the brunt, but while they are overwhelming the ICU beds in hospitals - kids and the general young/mid-age populace will be hugely disadvantaged if they need treatment. It is incredibly hard to get heads around this response - a lot of us struggle with it when normality is so easily at our fingertips - but global economies DO NOT SHUT DOWN unless there is a phenomenal reason to do so. And STOP ****ING STOCKPILING

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Totally impartial view there of course, delivered tactfully and graciously.

I had begun to type out exactly why you are ****ing ignorant, but the poster above beat me to it ^

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I used a cash machine by keeping sterilized kitchen roll on the buttons then BINNED the tissue. Couldn't believe people in front were using their bare hands and then touching their face afterwards!

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Shame it had to affect you personally before you took it more seriously.

I would say 75% is an ambitious chunk of society to follow through with this. Just have to hope and trust they have it right I suppose.

"Taking it more seriously" was probably the wrong phrase for me to use. Had I not been pregnant, I would have still followed all the government recommendations and guidelines but now I just have to be extra careful and avoid public transport, the supermarket etc too.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Taking it quite seriously. It's not about me its about others I may inadvertently affect, either directly or indirectly.

Mum (leafy Sussex, 70s) told me last night that she doesn't want to be the reason she takes an NHS bed from someone (with underlying health issues) who really needs it, so is self-isolating for at least a week, as are the rest of the nearby family.

I however am in London, in schools ('til Friday, anyway), and have cancelled anything I had planned that involves anybody else. Once I got it into my head that I may but quite easily be a - what's the word, vector? - then being careful (don't queue too closely, don't lick handrails, simply don't see family and friends) becomes a very easy option.

Plus, the only thing supermarkets aren't selling out of is alcohol. My local Sainsbury's has Guinness at £4 a 4-pack at the moment :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m guessing that you are just looking for a reaction but this Mike Gooley sounds pretty unpleasant. If he can’t find it within himself to care about some of the most vulnerable people in society then that says it all about him and I guess elements in Western society. Very different from Asian cultures.
We are staying at home and social distancing, partly for our own protection but also thinking of elderly neighbors in the village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here