Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray contract extension [was: GM signs]

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Saturday's performance was typical of Glenn's attitude. When he gets a knock back he goes all out to prove people are wrong. He came in and did what he does best. He get's in defenders faces, creates havoc, holds the ball up and wins free kicks. I thought that the analysis on MOTD was spot on and demonstrated his contribution. With wingers and creative quicker players around him this strategy will work especially against less mobile defensive teams like West Ham. Most importantly he knows where the back of the net is. His conversion rate on chances has always been very high. I hope he gets a start against Watford. His contract extension is a good bit of business even if its for back up and passing on his experience to the younger players

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Fantastic news. Glenn looked very sharp on saturday and played really well. Still my favourite player!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the absence of anybody else on the books with a natural born striker's instinct on goal, it's a logical signing, if not a particularly inspiring one. Another season of Mend And Make Do beckons then, together with the now-traditional FLIRT with relegation

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Essentially:

Club (in August): “we think you’re old and slow and you won’t make the team”

Murray (now): “I don’t care if you think I’m old and slow, Give me a new deal and some game time or I’m going to forest, leaving you with nowhere near enough strikers”

Club: “ok then”

Think this may be very close to the truth.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we can get Murray & Maupay in the same line up we might have a proper strike force.

Personally I would love to see that.
But it's probably based on how effective it was in the championship with Super Sam, rather than how it would work in the Prem.

Does Maupay have any experience of playing off a traditional centre forward?

Raising a glass to all those conversations on here hailing how Potter would be the manager who would really allow the young players to flourish

Essentially:

Club (in August): “we think you’re old and slow and you won’t make the team”

Murray (now): “I don’t care if you think I’m old and slow, Give me a new deal and some game time or I’m going to forest, leaving you with nowhere near enough strikers”

Club: “ok then”

Club *checks Bobby’s park run times*
“Ok go on then”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Raising a glass to all those conversations on here hailing how Potter would be the manager who would really allow the young players to flourish

Which he absolutely has done, so I have no idea what you're on about.

You really think Hughton would've given Alzate and Connolly the game time Potter has? No chance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Personally I would love to see that.
But it's probably based on how effective it was in the championship with Super Sam, rather than how it would work in the Prem.

Does Maupay have any experience of playing off a traditional centre forward?

Quite often when Connolly has been on, Maupay has played behind him (or even wide, on occasion).

I think the key to getting the best out of Murray is to get speed around him (Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, March, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo?, Schelotto, Lamptey ?). Much as I individually rate Mooy and Gross, when I see the two of them selected alongside Murray, my heart sinks a bit. I think at this level, you can only have one of those three, two at a push.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Quite often when Connolly has been on, Maupay has played behind him (or even wide, on occasion).

I think the key to getting the best out of Murray is to get speed around him (Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, March, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo?, Schelotto, Lamptey ?). Much as I individually rate Mooy and Gross, when I see the two of them selected alongside Murray, my heart sinks a bit. I think at this level, you can only have one of those three, two at a push.

Except that the Gross cross to Murray has created so many goals for us in the past two seasons. One more on Saturday. They come as a pair in my mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

And extending the contract of ONE veteran, so he can help and encourage those young players, is somehow adverse to that aim?

Our first team squad includes:

Alzate 21
Connolly 20
Lamptey 19
Mac Allister 21
Maupay 23
Webster 24
Bernardo 24
Bissouma 23
Trossard 24

Not really sure what point you're trying to make? :shrug:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Absolutely brilliant news. Wonderful footballer, goalscorer and decent bloke.

His nous and finishing ability will be vital over the next few weeks.

(Still annoyed that Gus broke up the Murray/Barnes partnership:annoyed:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And extending the contract of ONE veteran, so he can help and encourage those young players, is somehow adverse to that aim?

Alzate 21
Connolly 20
Lamptey 19
Mac Allister 21
Maupay 23
Webster 24
Bernardo 24
Bissouma 23
Trossard 24

That he’s still VERY pissed about CH’s sacking?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Alzate 21
Connolly 20
Lamptey 19
Mac Allister 21
Maupay 23
Webster 24
Bernardo 24
Bissouma 23
Trossard 24

That list is a thing of beauty in my eyes. Some of them will undoubtedly make their names elsewhere one day, not all will necessarily make it at the highest level but for now it is very exciting, especially when you know we have White and Molumby and others coming through.

On the other end of the scale, I just saw that Schelotto is the fourth oldest player in our squad. Who knew eh?

.. and that Dunk is older than Duffy. That just blew my mind.

Finally Webster and Trossard are both 25 now. So is Solly March. Been around for ever but still one for the future :)

The entire squad is now considerably younger than me. I have to accept I'm never going to make it :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here