Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray contract extension [was: GM signs]

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That list is a thing of beauty in my eyes. Some of them will undoubtedly make their names elsewhere one day, not all will necessarily make it at the highest level but for now it is very exciting, especially when you know we have White and Molumby and others coming through.

On the other end of the scale, I just saw that Schelotto is the fourth oldest player in our squad. Who knew eh?

.. and that Dunk is older than Duffy. That just blew my mind.

Finally Webster and Trossard are both 25 now. So is Solly March. Been around for ever but still one for the future :)

The entire squad is now considerably younger than me. I have to accept I'm never going to make it :cry:

Perhaps Webster will be too old for next season?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Except that the Gross cross to Murray has created so many goals for us in the past two seasons. One more on Saturday. They come as a pair in my mind.

I couldn't agree more, in our first couple of seasons in this league they dovetailed beautifully, Pascal would provide the assists, (as well as weighing in with a fair few goals himself), and Glenn would bury the ball in the net.

But the way Potter likes to play football speed is key, and that of course is one attribute neither player has.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I couldn't agree more, in our first couple of seasons in this league they dovetailed beautifully, Pascal would provide the assists, (as well as weighing in with a fair few goals himself), and Glenn would bury the ball in the net.

But the way Potter likes to play football speed is key, and that of course is one attribute neither player has.

Hopefully Ale MacAllister can do all that AND run. :drool:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Is speed key to Potter's style? I mean speed will help any style, of course, but we're not exactly all about wingers outpacing full-backs to the byline and long balls for quick strikers to run onto, which is what you think of when you talk about speed. Its more about quick thought, quick feet, quickness of pass, which when done right pulls defenders out of position.

Stamina on the other hand, agree thats important. Someone like Trossard who was a little frustrating in the first half yesterday became unplayable by the end, he's like a little duracell bunny.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Is speed key to Potter's style? I mean speed will help any style, of course, but we're not exactly all about wingers outpacing full-backs to the byline and long balls for quick strikers to run onto, which is what you think of when you talk about speed. Its more about quick thought, quick feet, quickness of pass, which when done right pulls defenders out of position.

Stamina on the other hand, agree thats important. Someone like Trossard who was a little frustrating in the first half yesterday became unplayable by the end, he's like a little duracell bunny.

Trossard is a player who sooo frustrates me, at his best l'm thinking to myself, he is like a younger version of his fellow countryman Eden Hazard, (though maybe that's a bit of an exageration), but at his worst, well he virtually disappears from the game, and it's almost akin to playing with ten men.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great news. Yet another football coach realises that Muzza’s a quality striker, team player and a great pro. Muzza benefiting from always looking after himself.

If it p’s off the anti-Muzza brigade, who cares?

If GP really rated Murray, you'd have thought he might have given him a start before February

Personally I find myself agreeing with those who have made the point that Murray's agent has played a blinder in exploiting our very weak bargaining position created by an inability to replace Murray

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Working with Murray for a season should help his ultimate replacement pick up some great habits. I hope Odsonne & Glenn hit it off big time!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Trossard is a player who sooo frustrates me, at his best l'm thinking to myself, he is like a younger version of his fellow countryman Eden Hazard, (though maybe that's a bit of an exageration), but at his worst, well he virtually disappears from the game, and it's almost akin to playing with ten men.

He just needs to bulk up a bit - too easily bullied off the ball by some of the more agricultural defenders he meets atm. Hazard was both extremely skilful and extremely strong.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I understand why people get frustrated with Trossard, but for me, he is always trying something to create a chance.
I certainly don't think he ever "goes missing"

He does have games where nothing comes off for him and it's easy to see him as a luxury player.
But so did Knocky.. lots of them ... I think Trossard is an upgrade on Knockaert and much less likely to sulk/get sent off.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We can't keep getting another year out of the bloke.

At some point we're going to have to resolve the striker conundrum. To me this smacks of buying ourselves another year to un-earth a diamond, or produce someone from the academy who can do what Glenn does, both are unlikely.

Unless we do get very lucky at some point we're going to have to take the plunge and go large. Now the signings of Joelinton and Haller tells me that going large isn't exactly a risk free process, but we can't put it off for ever.

Now I won't criticise Murray as he is a club legend, but even his greatest supporters have to concede, he can barely move now. This isn't in itself an impediment to scoring a good few goals, but it restricts the way the team can play.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What awesome news, love Glenn, love his goals, love his being at ‘my’ club - let’s cheer him onto that record etc.

But... what I really love is that he’s been 36 for at least three years!! My kind of chap.

Rick on Glenn :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Great news. Yet another football coach realises that Muzza’s a quality striker, team player and a great pro. Muzza benefiting from always looking after himself.

If it p’s off the anti-Muzza brigade, who cares?

Shame it took him eight months.
The Early season sidelining of murray smacked of arrogance - ‘we play sexy football now, we don’t need old Glenn’.
Getting rid of Locadia and Andone and not replacing them, also had a whiff of superior thinking on the club’s part.
Now it’s all going to shit, what do you know Glenn’s negotiated a new deal.
I am pleased for Glenn of course, but it’s desperate stuff from the Albion.
Then again it’s not surprising as the handling of our forward options has been shambolic for a while and has got worse under Potter.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Shame it took him eight months.
The Early season sidelining of murray smacked of arrogance - ‘we play sexy football now, we don’t need old Glenn’.
Getting rid of Locadia and Andone and not replacing them, also had a whiff of superior thinking on the club’s part.
Now it’s all going to shit, what do you know Glenn’s negotiated a new deal.
I am pleased for Glenn of course, but it’s desperate stuff from the Albion.
Then again it’s not surprising as the handling of our forward options has been shambolic for a while and has got worse under Potter.

Or he could have been carrying an underlying injury and the club didn’t want to commit until he was 100%.
Personally an 80% fit GM does it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If GP really rated Murray, you'd have thought he might have given him a start before February

Personally I find myself agreeing with those who have made the point that Murray's agent has played a blinder in exploiting our very weak bargaining position created by an inability to replace Murray

Or Potter had tunnel vision for the young, pacier, smaller strikers route, which has completely dried up. Finally realising that Muzza has plenty still to offer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We seemed to revert to a far more orthodox style of play on Saturday with GM back in the team, there was noticeably less of the risky knocking it around the back in an attempt to draw them on to us. Has GP blinked and gone "back to basics" now ? Is that a style we're going to adopt more often, on the road at least ? Maybe Potterball goes out the window when Glenn's in the lineup.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Or Potter had tunnel vision for the young, pacier, smaller strikers route, which has completely dried up. Finally realising that Muzza has plenty still to offer.

I have to say I don't think Potter is a tunnel vision type of chap.

His philosophy is about being adaptable. Glen doesn't give him too many options in that regard.
I can see why he might not previously thought it necessary to adapt the way we play too much.
On paper we are playing well and should be doing better than we are.

Now we are at the sharp end, he's going to need to make sure that all bases are covered.
I'm sure he will utilise Glenn much more over the next few months

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Speaks volumes when you see comments from West Ham fans saying they’d rather have Muzza in their line up than the £45m Haller - who was absolutely pony on Saturday !

Now let’s see Muzza and Maupay up front together on Saturday - Muzza will bully the Watford centre backs and Maupay can cause them problems with his pace and movement !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here