[Albion] Glenn Murray contract extension [was: GM signs]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We seemed to revert to a far more orthodox style of play on Saturday with GM back in the team, there was noticeably less of the risky knocking it around the back in an attempt to draw them on to us. Has GP blinked and gone "back to basics" now ? Is that a style we're going to adopt more often, on the road at least ? Maybe Potterball goes out the window when Glenn's in the lineup.

Yeah I noticed the same.
Although we regularly start going long when we are looking to hold onto what we've got at the end of games.
Sensbly taking the risk out of our play.

Maybe this was more about the game being a must not lose for us and a must win for West Ham.
We certainly started knocking it about a lot more in the second half when we were looking to get back into the game.
So I don't think it's the end of Potterball

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have to say I don't think Potter is a tunnel vision type of chap.

His philosophy is about being adaptable. Glen doesn't give him too many options in that regard.
I can see why he might not previously thought it necessary to adapt the way we play too much.
On paper we are playing well and should be doing better than we are.

Now we are at the sharp end, he's going to need to make sure that all bases are covered.
I'm sure he will utilise Glenn much more over the next few months

I rate Potter, but I didn’t think his football philosophy entailed any direct play to a competitive, tall CF. Also, as pointed out by others (not me) in posts here, we didn’t go wholly down the slow passing around Ryan & our defenders in the last 20 minutes at WH. Major adaptions that reaped great success, as we outplayed them at the right end of the pitch. A far cry from Ryan to Dunk to Ryan to Dunk, trying to entice the opposition on.

A revelation, we pushed 50 yards upfield, fair play to Potter in going for that. He got his deserved reward.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Shame it took him eight months.
The Early season sidelining of murray smacked of arrogance - ‘we play sexy football now, we don’t need old Glenn’.
Getting rid of Locadia and Andone and not replacing them, also had a whiff of superior thinking on the club’s part.
Now it’s all going to shit, what do you know Glenn’s negotiated a new deal.
I am pleased for Glenn of course, but it’s desperate stuff from the Albion.
Then again it’s not surprising as the handling of our forward options has been shambolic for a while and has got worse under Potter.

Agree that we haven’t been great at signing forwards, but I don’t think this is desperate by the club.

Compared to Glenn, I can’t think of any strikers within our budget who would be better than him, certainly in a January transfer window. Josh King £40m anyone? We could’ve spunked a fortune on an overpriced unproven foreign striker and been moaning in a month we’d signed another Locadia.

Murray will score - as he showed on Saturday. Mid season it’s a sensible option. In the summer we will have plenty of time to scout and sign others with proper due diligence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I rate Potter, but I didn’t think his football philosophy entailed any direct play to a competitive, tall CF. Also, as pointed out by others (not me) in posts here, we didn’t go wholly down the slow passing around Ryan & our defenders in the last 20 minutes at WH. Major adaptions that reaped great success, as we outplayed them at the right end of the pitch. A far cry from Ryan to Dunk to Ryan to Dunk, trying to entice the opposition on.

A revelation, we pushed 50 yards upfield, fair play to Potter in going for that. He got his deserved reward.

We were actually knocking it about from Ryan to Dunk far more in the last 20 than we were in the first half.
The difference was that we were doing it quickly and getting the ball to Propper and Stephens who were by that point playing superbly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We were actually knocking it about from Ryan to Dunk far more in the last 20 than we were in the first half.
The difference was that we were doing it quickly and getting the ball to Propper and Stephens who were by that point playing superbly.

Watching it, play appeared to be almost entirely in the attacking 60 yards, WHU resorting to fouls as we played around them.

Rather than our takes, I’d like to see one of those excellent post match tactical analyses we sometimes see on NSC. Can’t remember the member’s name.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Muzza to be interviewed by fawning Kelly Cates, Chris Sutton and Ian Wright Wright Wright on R5 sometime in the next half hour. The authentic Voice of Cumbria flexes his charm for future employment reference.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Watching it, play appeared to be almost entirely in the attacking 60 yards, WHU resorting to fouls as we played around them.

Rather than our takes, I’d like to see one of those excellent post match tactical analyses we sometimes see on NSC. Can’t remember the member’s name.
spence?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You’d drive him to Cumbria if you could, always trolling against Muzza.

I smell Palace.

Careful you will be put on his ignore list and tell everybody about it. Like a badge of honour.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don’t get people started :fishing: . That’s normally the trigger for a guaranteed anti Leeds thread of 50 posts minimum.

Billy Bremner.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Careful you will be put on his ignore list and tell everybody about it. Like a badge of honour.

Calm down, dear. We're having bantz.

And I have told you before, I see no reason to put you on ignore. Call it a badge of honour. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports