Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray contract extension [was: GM signs]

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
We can't keep getting another year out of the bloke.

At some point we're going to have to resolve the striker conundrum. To me this smacks of buying ourselves another year to un-earth a diamond, or produce someone from the academy who can do what Glenn does, both are unlikely.

Unless we do get very lucky at some point we're going to have to take the plunge and go large. Now the signings of Joelinton and Haller tells me that going large isn't exactly a risk free process, but we can't put it off for ever.

Now I won't criticise Murray as he is a club legend, but even his greatest supporters have to concede, he can barely move now. This isn't in itself an impediment to scoring a good few goals, but it restricts the way the team can play.
He can barely move now ,lol how does it restrict the way we play having all the game and not scoring is surley as bad

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree that we haven’t been great at signing forwards, but I don’t think this is desperate by the club.

Compared to Glenn, I can’t think of any strikers within our budget who would be better than him, certainly in a January transfer window. Josh King £40m anyone? We could’ve spunked a fortune on an overpriced unproven foreign striker and been moaning in a month we’d signed another Locadia.

Murray will score - as he showed on Saturday. Mid season it’s a sensible option. In the summer we will have plenty of time to scout and sign others with proper due diligence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is desperate in terms of the weak negotiating position we have found ourselves in .
At the start of the season we were on this big adventure with shiny young strikers, now we have no choice but to rely on Muzza and employ him until nearly his 38th birthday.
I bloody love Glenn Murray but we should have been in a position to wave him goodbye with succession in place, at the end of last season let alone this.
Now it’s a massive ask for a 36yo to score the goals to keep us up. but i guess if any 36yo can.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is desperate in terms of the weak negotiating position we have found ourselves in .
At the start of the season we were on this big adventure with shiny young strikers, now we have no choice but to rely on Muzza and employ him until nearly his 38th birthday.
I bloody love Glenn Murray but we should have been in a position to wave him goodbye with succession in place, at the end of last season let alone this.
Now it’s a massive ask for a 36yo to score the goals to keep us up. but i guess if any 36yo can.....

I still think we’ll sign a CF this summer, IF we stay up. Having Muzza’s any additional striker to give us 4, at the same time helping the others with his nouse.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I still think we’ll sign a CF this summer, IF we stay up. Having Muzza’s any additional striker to give us 4, at the same time helping the others with his nouse.

Muzza as coach and ambassador after he’s retired defo

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
It doesn't sit well with me that he is a legend here but that the Nig31s like him too, so I'm hoping on the last day of the season he scores the goal that keeps us up and sends them down instead.

If Carlsberg did season endings...

I think it will be the goal that sends us into the Europa League and Palace down

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Worth keeping as a 3rd or 4th striking option amidst interest from other prem clubs - we ain’t making the same mistake again...

Plus it will really really annoy the Nigel’s which makes it even more sweeter :) (not that they'd ever admit it)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Let’s see.

He played fantastically and scored the vital equaliser on Saturday. It’s a 50:50 call what division we’ll be in just now.

You just knew he’d take his moment the other day. An absolute assassin.
I hope Aaron is picking things up from the master.
Also I hope Muz has a role at the club after his playing coach. Forwards coach, maybe.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Possibility that this is a marriage of convenience. He is obviously frustrated at his lack of game time. Potter and club obviously want a different striker.

Club couldn't get a different striker in January but might do in the summer... so to avoid Glen kicking off to force a move when we still need him as a back up (or main man now, who knows!?) we've offered him effectively another year contract so that he has the security at least, if not the playing time.

I imagine that if in the summer we sign another striker or two, and he can find himself another club we'll let him go on a free with a happy handshake!

Exactly what I think happened. Except it may not be about “couldn’t afford”, more “couldn’t secure one”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You just knew he’d take his moment the other day. An absolute assassin.
I hope Aaron is picking things up from the master.
Also I hope Muz has a role at the club after his playing coach. Forwards coach, maybe.

I’m sure he’ll stay. He’s a Brighton adopted home bird, very happy here.

He only started that god awful commute in 2011, because a certain person didn’t warm to him.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Apparently Manure enquired about Murray before they signed Inghalo.

Odion Ighalo did well at Watford before he left them. Just like M'baye Niang, who I thought was top class and is now at Rennes. I wouldn't mind him singing for us - he ran the show when they defeated Arsenal at the Emirates about three years ago. I came away from that match thinking he had a fantastic career ahead of him.

Delighted for Muzza and I think he can kick on and lead us to safety.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Seen another report that confirm Man Utd, Celtic and Villa were interested in Muzza in the window. Man Utd on the verge of an approach apparently.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Odion Ighalo did well at Watford before he left them. Just like M'baye Niang, who I thought was top class and is now at Rennes. I wouldn't mind him singing for us - he ran the show when they defeated Arsenal at the Emirates about three years ago. I came away from that match thinking he had a fantastic career ahead of him.

Delighted for Muzza and I think he can kick on and lead us to safety.

Not really, He did a Benteke, great first half of the season, then went 559 minutes without scoring, then only scored once in the following season.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Being cynical could the extension be in order that we get a fee if he wishes to leave in the summer or somebody makes an offer.

Partly that, though also I expect any offers for Murray would have been a 2 year contract so by extending they are giving him the same financial security he would have had if he'd moved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here