Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray contract extension [was: GM signs]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
NEW DEAL FOR MURRAY

Albion striker Glenn Murray has signed a new contract, after agreeing terms with the club early last week.

Murray, who swept home the leveller in Saturday’s 3-3 draw with West Ham United, has extended his time with Albion until June 2021.

Head coach Graham Potter commented, “I’m delighted Glenn’s agreed this new contract, and it’s one he deserves. He’s got it because of what he can bring to the team and squad.

“Everyone knows what Glenn brings to the club, and he’s an important member of the squad — on and off the pitch — and he showed that in abundance on Saturday at West Ham.

“I’ve always said he’s got a big part to play here. He’s happy and settled, he loves this club, and he’s been the ultimate professional on and off the pitch. He’s keeps himself in fantastic shape and that takes great dedication.”

Murray’s rise from non-league football to the top flight is well documented, having played for Workington Reds, Wilmington Hammerheads in the US, Barrow and Carlisle United in the Conference.

He continued to work his way up the leagues via Stockport County, and he first joined Albion in 2008, when Dean Wilkins signed him from Rochdale. During that first spell he helped Albion win the League One title in 2011, before departing that summer.

He returned to the club in 2016, having played for Crystal Palace, Reading and AFC Bournemouth, and scored 23 goals in his first season back as the club won promotion to the Premier League.

He hit 14 goals in Albion’s first-ever Premier League season, and 15 last season took him past 100 goals for the club and made him the club’s post-war record goalscorer.

Saturday’s goal at West Ham leaves him 13 shy of Albion’s all-time scorer Tommy Cook.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
NEW DEAL FOR MURRAY

Albion striker Glenn Murray has signed a new contract, after agreeing terms with the club early last week.

Murray, who swept home the leveller in Saturday’s 3-3 draw with West Ham United, has extended his time with Albion until June 2021.

Head coach Graham Potter commented, “I’m delighted Glenn’s agreed this new contract, and it’s one he deserves. He’s got it because of what he can bring to the team and squad.

“Everyone knows what Glenn brings to the club, and he’s an important member of the squad — on and off the pitch — and he showed that in abundance on Saturday at West Ham.

“I’ve always said he’s got a big part to play here. He’s happy and settled, he loves this club, and he’s been the ultimate professional on and off the pitch. He’s keeps himself in fantastic shape and that takes great dedication.”

Murray’s rise from non-league football to the top flight is well documented, having played for Workington Reds, Wilmington Hammerheads in the US, Barrow and Carlisle United in the Conference.

He continued to work his way up the leagues via Stockport County, and he first joined Albion in 2008, when Dean Wilkins signed him from Rochdale. During that first spell he helped Albion win the League One title in 2011, before departing that summer.

He returned to the club in 2016, having played for Crystal Palace, Reading and AFC Bournemouth, and scored 23 goals in his first season back as the club won promotion to the Premier League.

He hit 14 goals in Albion’s first-ever Premier League season, and 15 last season took him past 100 goals for the club and made him the club’s post-war record goalscorer.

Saturday’s goal at West Ham leaves him 13 shy of Albion’s all-time scorer Tommy Cook.

Very good news.

Mind you, first read, I missread that bit as swept up at the Level. Wouldn't be the first ex Brighton player to end up there....:facepalm:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
great news- how many goals shy is he of the number 1 spot?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agreed, excellent news but a bit of bet hedging as well I reckon. Muzza could still bang them in as a starter in the Championship but I can't see him leading the line too often in the EPL. I guess if we stay up this is more as back up and a mentor for whover we (hopefully) bring in over the summer.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
If we go down, I reckon he has a great chance of managing that. If we stay up, not so much (unless we go deep in cup competitions thanks to his goals)

Would be nice to see him do it, but would rather we stay in the Premier League!

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If he scores in the last game of his extended contract would he be the oldest ever Premier league player to score? (obviously if we're still in the Premier league)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
After seeing how Craig Cathcart was bullied by Everton on Saturday, I'd be delighted if Sir Glenn started again this Saturday.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Agreed, excellent news but a bit of bet hedging as well I reckon. Muzza could still bang them in as a starter in the Championship but I can't see him leading the line too often in the EPL. I guess if we stay up this is more as back up and a mentor for whover we (hopefully) bring in over the summer.

My hunch to, if we go down we'll want to keep him. If we stay up, then they may have another convo in May about not expecting much game time, then let him go in the summer to somewhere he can.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we go down, I reckon he has a great chance of managing that. If we stay up, not so much (unless we go deep in cup competitions thanks to his goals)

Hopefully he can be UNLEASHED on a Tranmere or Southend in the early rounds of the cups next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here