Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’ve not seen that account for a while

This was fairly interesting - it’s still the older people sadly dying despite the cases - which is what you would imagine if the vaccine is working well

0AA3B9CD-9EE2-4DC9-8F68-6778149F4DEC.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like undiagnosed cancer, it’s a time bomb with a delay. Happy people including kids have had their lives turned upside down, gregarious kids went through hell with no school, adults have lost businesses, people with decent jobs in the travel sector for example have been financially ruined. Someone in my family has many friends who had longstanding careers in the airlines or at Gatwick/Heathrow, with mortgages, kids and commitments, they’re facing personal bankruptcy.

All unreported stuff, because there’s a fixation on only one type of death …. death with Covid and now the condition Long Covid as its take precedence over anything else medically or psychologically.

I’m sure you and I will be amongst the first to highlight worsening cancer numbers as they wash through, but other than churlishly trying to pin them on politicians, few have will have an interest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57315731

Second day in a row with highest cases on earth, suspect the real number is circa 100k

Because and I don’t know why, we’re obsessively testing far greater numbers than the rest of planet earth.

A2DC3A8E-8E5F-4490-8686-B3B32A166361.png

Literally millions and millions being tested for Covid in the UK and yet just a rolling 7-days deaths average of a tiny 41.

Something’s working well. The vaccine programme obviously and perhaps all the young males who’ve ignored social distancing in the last three months simply don’t die from the Delta Variant?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Weekly tests per capita, we’re carrying out 11x that in Germany and 4x that in France. In itself explaining part of the higher case rate.

813A478A-5BA1-460F-B4A4-B0C23B45D8F5.png

UK:
BCEA70C9-43BF-4C52-BBA5-B4FCFF26A297.png

Separately, latest positive test rates - 4.4% in the UK, hovering around 1 - 1.5% in most of the continent, but greater than 4% in the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal. All shirley to rise with the opening up of most borders to tourism.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some chap on the radio this morning saying there will be chaos today especially on transport.

i understand people dont want masks removed or social distance rules lifted (like thats been followed the past 3 months). what is the hyperbole of "chaos" trying to achieve, other than whip up anxiety?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
some chap on the radio this morning saying there will be chaos today especially on transport.

i understand people dont want masks removed or social distance rules lifted (like thats been followed the past 3 months). what is the hyperbole of "chaos" trying to achieve, other than whip up anxiety?

I switch stations for a few minutes when they interview a non-factual grim reaper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just heard a more sensible debate on the radio….essentially the outcome was that we remain cautious, wear masks if anywhere asks us to, keep a bit of distance where we can etc. The main part of the discussion was around case numbers where there was basically agreement that they aren’t overly relevant and we shouldn’t be attaching much importance to them - as above in comparison with other nations we are testing so many more any comparison of cases is quite flawed, and it’s hospitalisations and deaths that are key as we move from pandemic to endemic (ie we are living with it, not trying to eliminate it).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

We have Sky news on in the office and they have reporters at a couple of stations, they clearly wanted there to be packed stations and trains full of unmasked people so they could tut at them.

Sadly for them, thats not the case

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I agree. The term chaos is unhelpful and alarming. There will be some confusion, particularly where I live where some trains are TFL (masks compulsory) and some West Anglia (masks optional) but I am hoping that some common sense breaks out.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
We have Sky news on in the office and they have reporters at a couple of stations, they clearly wanted there to be packed stations and trains full of unmasked people so they could tut at them.

Sadly for them, thats not the case

I can’t believe anybody working from home last week will be forced into the office this week so the trains shouldn’t be too busy, sitting in a cafe this morning it looks like 75% have ditched the mask already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just heard a more sensible debate on the radio….essentially the outcome was that we remain cautious, wear masks if anywhere asks us to, keep a bit of distance where we can etc. The main part of the discussion was around case numbers where there was basically agreement that they aren’t overly relevant and we shouldn’t be attaching much importance to them - as above in comparison with other nations we are testing so many more any comparison of cases is quite flawed, and it’s hospitalisations and deaths that are key as we move from pandemic to endemic (ie we are living with it, not trying to eliminate it).

R4?

I’ve found the cerebral shows fronted by the likes of Evan Davis to be a calm oasis, in a malestrom of stirring everywhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here