Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk to Chelsea?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can't see Chelsea being interested in a 28 year old defender personally. Especially without any real European or international experience. Especially as they released Gary Cahill at 32/33

Why would they not be interested in a defender who is better than Christiansen and Zouma, who has proven he is Premier League quality, who has represented England, who is at the peak of his powers and can play out from the back?

He is worth every penny of the £50mill being touted, and whilst the Albion would have the time to seek a replacement in the summer losing him now would be a disaster.

I fancy he'd be happy to wait until the summer to seek a move but for the fact he continues to be overlooked by Gareth Southgate for England in favour of Tyrone Mings. 4 good months with Chelsea in high profile games and the lad has a good chance of being selected for Euro 2020.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why would they not be interested in a defender who is better than Christiansen and Zouma, who has proven he is Premier League quality, who has represented England, who is at the peak of his powers and can play out from the back?

He is worth every penny of the £50mill being touted, and whilst the Albion would have the time to seek a replacement in the summer losing him now would be a disaster.

I fancy he'd be happy to wait until the summer to seek a move but for the fact he continues to be overlooked by Gareth Southgate for England in favour of Tyrone Mings. 4 good months with Chelsea in high profile games and the lad has a good chance of being selected for Euro 2020.

Because they can buy back Nathan Ake for £40M who is 4 years younger, has 12 more caps for his country (Netherlands) than Lewis Dunk has.

I dunno maybe I'm missing something, but it does not seem very 'Chelsea' to be going after Lewis Dunk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
With all due respect* to The Times, its sports desk is not what it was and there are a lot of bluffers employed there, especially in the London area.

(*i.e. with no respect at all)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don’t accept this nonsense about Dunk leaving to further his England career. Southgate already picked him once so he isn’t against picking players from clubs lower down the table. Also Mings at Villa?

The truth is Southgate likes bringing players into the senior squad who served their time in the under 21s or are a young up and coming player. Dunk is possibly seen as towards the top end of the age range for blooding players.

Odd having picked him once and not done anything wrong but there it is.

Personally I’d have him in the squad but to suggest he doesn’t get picked for England because he plays for us is nonsense.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because they can buy back Nathan Ake for £40M who is 4 years younger, has 12 more caps for his country (Netherlands) than Lewis Dunk has.

I dunno maybe I'm missing something, but it does not seem very 'Chelsea' to be going after Lewis Dunk

I was replying to a comment "Can't see Chelsea being interested in a 28 year old defender". I didn't say they were going to buy him but I explained why I'd expect him to be of interest, and from what I understand contact has already been made with Dunk's representatives.

Age-wise, Chelsea have plenty of young English players in their ranks and Lampard definitely seems keen on an English core. Dunk also brings leadership too. I think Dunk is a better player than Ake.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Love him but don't see him as a top 6 player. He'd be perfect for a Leicester or Everton type but as a Brighton fan, can't see him leaving unless we go down and that small step up becomes a big one.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can't see them being interested in Dunk but do hope they take Ake ... one of only 3 decent (fit) Muff players. Would be another nail in their coffin

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Clearly good enough for a top 4 club. Not only does he look technically good enough but his mental attributes are very stand out too.

Once he gets his big move he'll be a regular in the England starting lineup without doubt. Best player ever to come out of Brighton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely loads on twitter, plus links to numerous articles but all probably linking back to one or two original pieces. Does seem like Chelsea have ‘enquired’ - which wouldn’t be unreasonable - and that we might have slapped a £50m minimum figure down before we’re even ready to have a chat, presumably on the basis he’s critical to our success and we don’t need to sell, but if he REALLY wants a move to a bigger club we wouldn’t want to stand in his way.

It’s the last bit that will or won’t make it happen IMO - if he wants to stay, there’s no way we’ll sell him. However he’s quite likely at the peak of his powers now, so if he’s ever going to have a stab at making it with a top 6 club he’d need to go now.

Very mixed reaction on twitter at least from Chelsea fans. Many saying get him, many saying he’s not worth £50m (and a few far more insulting than that as you’d expect).

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Can't see it, but if it did happen & he wanted to go to Chelsea, & we got 50 mil. I'd say good luck Lewis & thanks for everything.
However; if a bid does come in, I hope he stays.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A large part depends on the conversation(s) with TB & PB. I can imagine his contract having a clause at a certain price but also to certain clubs, i.e. if it's Top 6 it's currently of little impact to us in terms of league position, if it's to WHU, Everton or Southampton etc it's very different.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Clearly good enough for a top 4 club. Not only does he look technically good enough but his mental attributes are very stand out too.

Once he gets his big move he'll be a regular in the England starting lineup without doubt. Best player ever to come out of Brighton

When you say best ever player to come out of Brighton, do you mean born in the city? or played for the Albion? The former is probably true, but hundreds, probably thousands of players have represented the club over the years, the vast majority of whom we have never seen, so who can say whether taht's true or not?

Good enough for a top four club? l very much doubt it, and like it or now, there are several other centre backs currently above him in the rckoning as far as England places are concerned, who are better than him.

Just my opinion of course.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When you say best ever player to come out of Brighton, do you mean born in the city? or played for the Albion? The former is probably true, but hundreds, probably thousands of players have represented the club over the years, the vast majority of whom we have never seen, so who can say whether taht's true or not?

Good enough for a top four club? l very much doubt it, and like it or now, there are several other centre backs currently above him in the rckoning as far as England places are concerned, who are better than him.

Just my opinion of course.

I'm certain Lewis Dunk is the best player Brighton have ever had

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here