[Football] Dunk to Chelsea?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Vicente played for us in the middle of the championship, i don't think he comes into the conversation. He was brilliant earlier in his career, but not at that level when he was at the Albion. Lawrenson and Ward were brilliant, but of their time. Ward did most of his best for us in division 2, Lawro wasn't at his peak when at Brighton anyway, but regardless I'm certain that today's Premier league is way better quality than division 1 of 1980, players are fitter, better on the ball, play at a higher speed and intensity, are more tactically drilled, have the absolute best fitness, diet and conditioning regimes, have come through academies and train at state of the art facilities, and play against many of the best in the world every week. I don't think the division 1 teams of the early 80s would cope with today's Premier league sides.

Which is why I think the absolute best XI of Brighton players of all time would all be from the present.

Lawrenson may have been of his time, but I would say he was already at his peak with us before continuing at Liverpool. He was an absolute star defender, who outpaced and outplayed the equally expensive star player of the day Trevor Francis, and made him look Sunday League. That's why Liverpool signed him. Lawro would walk in to today's Brighton team and still be a star.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Could be rubbish but a (Millwall) Friend has just had a betting tip saying that Lewis Dunk is at Chelsea at the moment and to grab the odds 4/1

Edit. Odds dropped to 2/1. Not a good sign.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tumbling...

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 19.33.21.png

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Best get our striker in quick before prices go up if we suddenly have a £50 million cheque.

And there must be a Leeds fan who'll drive Ben White down here.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'd be pleased for Lewis but gutted for us as a club to lose such a quality player. He's honest and reliable and the first name on my team sheet.
With him in our side I'm confident we won't be relegated. Without him in the side I think we still won't be relegated but I feel far less confident.
If Ben White stays away until the summer I think we will need another central defender as well as a goal scorer in this transfer window. Particularly with Dan Burn out for another month.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
50m would be a great deal. If you take your Albion tinted glasses off, he's not one of the best defenders in the world.

He has no pace, he's literally an oil tanker. Whilst that's not a problem in the Championship or lower Premier League, it is when you play against the best.

I don't want to sell, but we would be crazy to turn down the sort of money being talked about for him.

Why would I ever want to take my Albion-tinted glasses off ???

Losing Lewis Dunk would make my life a sadder place.

Not to mention that it would be one of the stupidest football moves ever, to sell our captain, best player, and only really reliable centre-back, half way through a season in which we are still battling for survival in the premier league.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I could support Lewis going in the summer. He’s peaking, and although I love the guy he’s had a few errors in him this season. £50m would be a fair price.

But to sell him now with our PL status on the line is a huge gamble I feel. Bookies are never wrong so it’s a bit concerning.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'd be pleased for Lewis but gutted for us as a club to lose such a quality player. He's honest and reliable and the first name on my team sheet.
With him in our side I'm confident we won't be relegated. Without him in the side I think we still won't be relegated but I feel far less confident.
If Ben White stays away until the summer I think we will need another central defender as well as a goal scorer in this transfer window. Particularly with Dan Burn out for another month.

I think we’ll need one anyway.

We have no idea if White is Premiership standard. Webster was outstanding last year but has struggled with the step up. It would be a massive risk to play them together.

We’d need an Upson type to add some stability....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bookies are never wrong so it’s a bit concerning.

Oh yeah.....

2000/1 Leicester

A couple hundred quid on Lewis moving will change the odds dramatically as they cover themselves very quickly even if there is nothing in it. Remember how short odds we saw Hughton for the Watford job 6/5 at one stage all because talk sport mentioned his name once as a suitable candidate and some plum builder from Walthamstow probably put £5 on it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Football Whispers view....

I'm stepping into [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] territory here..........

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/lewis-dunk-chelsea-scout-report

Clearly Lampard is not the only person who sees something in the Brighton-born stopper. Gareth Southgate called Dunk into his squad for the Three Lions’ November 2018 friendly against the United States and he played the full 90 minutes in a 3-0 win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports