Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, instead of this new-fangled graphic-encroaching pseudo-baseball, I'm off to watch some of the first departure from the only proper form of cricket at Hove tomorrow. 45+mph winds forecast for most the game, with rain for the first six hours. That's what's the game's about, and not a graphic in sight.
Will the best team have a chance to win?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Yesterday afternoon the Nottingham based Trent Rockets were playing in The Hundred at the same time as Nottinghamshire were playing in the Royal London Cup. Happily the good guys won and the bad guys lost.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Enjoying Danni Wyatt’s interview, she’s making one or two good points…

:whistle:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So underwhelmed by this bastardisation of my favourite game I cant be bothered to watch any more of it. Well done ECB.

You mean you missed the Western Unrinseables v the Northern Cyclonics ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I took my wife and my youngest to The Hundred in Southampton this evening. I have to say, it ticked all the boxes it was supposed to tick. Wife really enjoyed it and my 10 year old is disappointed I can't get more tickets at the Oval or the Ageas Bowl before the end of the season. He loved it, and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as he did. Crowd was about 85% capacity I would think, so felt like it was an occasion.

It was similar to a T20 but not quite the same, and I'm not talking about the tiny changes to the format of the match. Loads of kids/families there, interesting attempt at music relevance (Lauren Hibberd), and a great atmosphere. Lots of people wearing new Southern Brave clobber, but what was interesting was that while most people in the crowd were Southampton/Hants centric, there was plenty of representation from Dorset, South Berks, South Wilts but not really from our neck of the woods and GOSBTS in general, which is a bit of a shame.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I took my wife and my youngest to The Hundred in Southampton this evening. I have to say, it ticked all the boxes it was supposed to tick. Wife really enjoyed it and my 10 year old is disappointed I can't get more tickets at the Oval or the Ageas Bowl before the end of the season. He loved it, and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as he did. Crowd was about 85% capacity I would think, so felt like it was an occasion.

It was similar to a T20 but not quite the same, and I'm not talking about the tiny changes to the format of the match. Loads of kids/families there, interesting attempt at music relevance (Lauren Hibberd), and a great atmosphere. Lots of people wearing new Southern Brave clobber, but what was interesting was that while most people in the crowd were Southampton/Hants centric, there was plenty of representation from Dorset, South Berks, South Wilts but not really from our neck of the woods and GOSBTS in general, which is a bit of a shame.

My wife, son, and their friends went down for both games yesterday. They've been to 2 or 3 of the Hundred matches now and really enjoy them. They left after 70 balls though last night, as a load of the roads around the area were being closed after the game apparently? and were back home by 10pm. Son is off to the game on Saturday as well (at the Oval?) & then playing for Sussex up at Kent on Sunday - busy weekend of cricket!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My wife, son, and their friends went down for both games yesterday. They've been to 2 or 3 of the Hundred matches now and really enjoy them. They left after 70 balls though last night, as a load of the roads around the area were being closed after the game apparently? and were back home by 10pm. Son is off to the game on Saturday as well (at the Oval?) & then playing for Sussex up at Kent on Sunday - busy weekend of cricket!
Yes, they closed the M27 junction which was a pain. The detour was painless, although I know the area quite well to be fair.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, they closed the M27 junction which was a pain. The detour was painless, although I know the area quite well to be fair.

That was what they were worried about...2 women, 3x 15yr olds, driving at night, in an area they weren't familiar with. If it had been a closer game they might've stayed longer, but having been there all day it was easier to get out while it was all open still.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I took my wife and my youngest to The Hundred in Southampton this evening. I have to say, it ticked all the boxes it was supposed to tick. Wife really enjoyed it and my 10 year old is disappointed I can't get more tickets at the Oval or the Ageas Bowl before the end of the season. He loved it, and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as he did. ...

My wife, son, and their friends went down for both games yesterday. They've been to 2 or 3 of the Hundred matches now and really enjoy them. ...

Guys, serious question, do you think the youngsters (and perhaps wives if they weren't interested at all previously) will use this as an introduction to all forms of cricket as the Authorities hope? Or are they just going to want to watch the Hundred?

And a follow-up question: can you see yourselves as existing cricket fans preferring the Hundred to say county or Test cricket?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Guys, serious question, do you think the youngsters (and perhaps wives if they weren't interested at all previously) will use this as an introduction to all forms of cricket as the Authorities hope? Or are they just going to want to watch the Hundred?

And a follow-up question: can you see yourselves as existing cricket fans preferring the Hundred to say county or Test cricket?

Well both of mine want to go to more matches and my wife clearly saw why they were offering this form of cricket She barely knew the rules, but will happily sit through another evening and another evening learning them. In the car on the way home, she also reckoned it was a great taster and that people like our son would surely get more involved in the nuanced, longer form of the game because they had been introduced via this format.

So while there are other forms of the game I'd rather watch, I'm not the target audience. My son is though, and when he goes to the football he gets his Switch out after an hour. That didn't cross his mind last night despite it lasting far longer. And his ticket cost five quid.

The pinnacle of cricket will always be the longer form of the game, but the Hundred has its place unless we are prepared to accept cricket as something less than a mainstream sport. It does a far better job of reaching out to new fans than T20 I think. Imo, T20 is aimed at cricket or sports fans who want a result in an evening. The Hundred brings an entirely new audience.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well both of mine want to go to more matches and my wife clearly saw why they were offering this form of cricket She barely knew the rules, but will happily sit through another evening and another evening learning them. In the car on the way home, she also reckoned it was a great taster and that people like our son would surely get more involved in the nuanced, longer form of the game because they had been introduced via this format.

So while there are other forms of the game I'd rather watch, I'm not the target audience. My son is though, and when he goes to the football he gets his Switch out after an hour. That didn't cross his mind last night despite it lasting far longer. And his ticket cost five quid.

The pinnacle of cricket will always be the longer form of the game, but the Hundred has its place unless we are prepared to accept cricket as something less than a mainstream sport. It does a far better job of reaching out to new fans than T20 I think. Imo, T20 is aimed at cricket or sports fans who want a result in an evening. The Hundred brings an entirely new audience.

I suppose time will tell, the cheap price is definitely attractive. As Boomer Gammon I'm just worried that 'the kids' will think that this IS cricket and they'll be saying to Grandad when he's trying to watch an absorbing Test match: "Turn this boring shit off Grandad, I've been watching for half an hour and virtually nothing's happened."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm interested to know why this is so: does having 20 balls fewer really make that big a difference? From what I've seen on telly, it's the T20 blast with more garish colours. It's not even any shorter - those 100 balls are taking as long to bowl as those 120.

I'm not attracted to the Hundred, not because it's a different form of cricket, but because I have no skin in the game - I'm not from Hampshire or Surrey, so the idea of travelling a couple of hours to watch a game between two neutrals is not for me. But I am intrigued to know why it is for some people.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
but what was interesting was that while most people in the crowd were Southampton/Hants centric, there was plenty of representation from Dorset, South Berks, South Wilts but not really from our neck of the woods and GOSBTS in general, which is a bit of a shame.

That's very interesting, shows it's clearly reaching out into areas without a first class county of their own who might not have supported "Hampshire" but will happily support "the south". I hadn't considered this at all and TBH that's hugely interesting. Also suggests maybe there is scope for future teams at Taunton and Durham as two places which could similarly bring in people from a larger catchment area.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suppose time will tell, the cheap price is definitely attractive. As Boomer Gammon I'm just worried that 'the kids' will think that this IS cricket and they'll be saying to Grandad when he's trying to watch an absorbing Test match: "Turn this boring shit off Grandad, I've been watching for half an hour and virtually nothing's happened."
Some will still do that, some won't. But none of them would even turn it on in the first place if they didn't know the cricket basics having been to a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here