Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn't have to be sarcastic. He's only played a small handful so I'm only speculating right now, we all know his history and the current contract length.

Sorry. Yes, his history is what it is and probably the main reason he only got a one year contract. If he keeps up I'm sure his contract will get extended, but I could see the club waiting to make that decision as long as possible.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Sorry. Yes, his history is what it is and probably the main reason he only got a one year contract. If he keeps up I'm sure his contract will get extended, but I could see the club waiting to make that decision as long as possible.

Except finding proven premier league strikers is - as we know all too well - like trying to find rocking horse shit. So I'd imagine we'd want to tie him down if he keeps performing?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Danny Welbeck, an apology.

You may have mistakenly read that when it was mooted we were in for you, there was a collective groan, and that most of us went to the cupboard, took out a packet of crisps, looked sadly at it, and tried to imagine it leading the line in an Albion shirt.

How wrong we were. We are now happy to announce that the world is your oyster. With repetition of the form and class displayed today and recently, an England recall is a mere formality, with an OBE, a JCB and an RSJ certain to follow.

My sentiments exactly. Though I still think we need one more serious option up front, Danny has been hugely impressive.. and you really fancy him getting 10 for us this season at least if he stays fit.

Plus another fantastic role model for our young players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Pretty sure it'll happen next month to ward off any January interest.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Going on the fact that he has played 81 games in the last 5 years, and if you add the previous 2 years to that he averages 18 games a season, I think the club would be silly to extend his contract.

I'm not suggesting he is work-shy, just that some athletes are more prone to injury than others. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets injured, and then it's money down the drain.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Going on the fact that he has played 81 games in the last 5 years, and if you add the previous 2 years to that he averages 18 games a season, I think the club would be silly to extend his contract.

I'm not suggesting he is work-shy, just that some athletes are more prone to injury than others. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets injured, and then it's money down the drain.

That’s the spirit.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One swallow does not a summer make.
I’d be surprised if anyone else would be interested at this stage. If we have him until the end of the year and he continues to play well and stay injury free, then start thinking longer term. We don’t want a big earner on the books who will end up costing us money on the treatment table.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
One swallow does not a summer make.
I’d be surprised if anyone else would be interested at this stage. If we have him until the end of the year and he continues to play well and stay injury free, then start thinking longer term. We don’t want a big earner on the books who will end up costing us money on the treatment table.

Well we have him until the end of the season, not the year. But I think that is the point, if he does well and not tied down, could walk for a big signing on fee somewhere else.

However I agree it's too early even tho he looks an impressive swallow when he is on form. Give it till Jan and the busy Xmas period is over, if he's still on 2 legs and a couple of goals, I'd be happy with a 2 yr extension.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Open-mouthed at some of the comments on here.......

He’s a massive upgrade on Murray
We need him, he complements what we have
Unless we’re going all-in on a 30m+ replacement then we have to hang on to him. He’s been brilliant so far and there’s more to come. Great influence on the younger guys too.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Unless we’re going all-in on a 30m+ replacement then we have to hang on to him. He’s been brilliant so far and there’s more to come. Great influence on the younger guys too.

This, once fully match fit he will be a massive plus

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Spot on, he’s great, best striker we’ve had for 40 years. Need to extend his contract ASAP.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

:clap2:

Welbz is an absolute class act, his all round fame us superb and people are seeing why prior to his injuries he was an England regular.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Really? I'd certainly have backed Ward in that situation, probably a young Bobby Z too.

For the first time in what seems like a gazillion years watching the Albion, we have a team with some pace.

I can't think of another striker who has played for us who could've scored his goal yesterday - not Ward, not Zamora, not Murray. With him and Lamptey we are giving defenders a different set of problems which is great to see.

Long may it continue.

As we have been reminiscing about Liverpool games - how about Gerry Ryan?? 15.45

Datguywelbz

Nov 28, 2020
I'm a man utd fan and im still a massive fan of welbz. He just turned 30 and he hasn't played a lot of football in his career. If it wasn't for injuries he would be man utd's number 9. Alex Ferguson was in love with him. Every since he gave him his debut at 17 he always played him and never dropped him. Only injuries kept him out. I remember welbeck was benching berbatov at 21 at utd.

Also at Arsenal. When he was fit he played. I do feel sorry for him that he has gone from playing with Scholes, Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Van Persie, Aubameyang, Ozil, Sanchez and etc to playing with maupay and Connelly. He seems out of place. I just hope he stays fit because he is a world class talent. He has played for a lot of different managers in England, Arsenal and Utd and he was a constant starter. Welbz could play for Barca, Brazil, France and he wouldn't be out of place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here