Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Showed that he is exactly what we have been missing.

Decision for the recruitment team now to stick or twist ....... personally I’d like to see us go out in Jan to sign a similar player to compete with Welbeck.

We can’t allow ourselves to put back in a position where we have no cover

Izzy and Andone to come back sometime around January, would we need another (except if we get a major injury)?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He and Adam Lallana seem to be very friendly, unsurprising as they've spent so much time together in the England camp.

Strongly suspect Adam was a key factor on him coming here, whether it's convincing the club or convincing Danny, or both.

Great assist by Adam to Danny yesterday by the way.

No need suspect it was a factor, Lallana and Welbeck have both publicly said it absolutely was.......

Given he’s not yet match fit and hasn’t played much recently, he’s been fabulous the last two games - he’ll get better. As his match fitness improves and his understanding with the others grows I think we could see great things. Him and Lallana both seem like great guys too - fully bought into the club ethos and will be a brilliant influence on the younger lot.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What also impressed me was his defending at set pieces. Good in the air which something that has been missing since Murray went out on loan

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Izzy and Andone to come back sometime around January, would we need another (except if we get a major injury)?

Surely, as he's been training with the 1st team, and has played and scored for the U23 team, Izzy could be back any time soon, at least on the bench?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For the first time in what seems like a gazillion years watching the Albion, we have a team with some pace.

I can't think of another striker who has played for us who could've scored his goal yesterday - not Ward, not Zamora, not Murray. With him and Lamptey we are giving defenders a different set of problems which is great to see.
Really? I'd certainly have backed Ward in that situation, probably a young Bobby Z too.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Well yes... because neither of them bring what Welbeck does.

Gives us an option over the top and is a target for crosses.

Neither of those two give us that ... We need another striker who has similar attributes so if Welbeck isn’t available we aren’t left short.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Surely, as he's been training with the 1st team, and has played and scored for the U23 team, Izzy could be back any time soon, at least on the bench?

Sorry, I think Izzy will be off in January and won't get near the first team again. Each to their own, but that's mine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sorry, I think Izzy will be off in January and won't get near the first team again. Each to their own, but that's mine.

Hope not, he will be like a new signing when match fit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Welbz hasn't played more than half the games per season for the last 8 years.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If he stays fit Welbeck is a fantastic free transfer signing. Still not match fit yet so better to come from him

When I’m watching him play I feel like the opposition defenders are more aware of him, like they know who Welbeck is and what he can do, they have to give him respect and that gives time and space for our other attackers. I’m genuinely delighted with what I’ve seen from him thus far, on the scale of ‘older Albion signings’ he’s definitely more Wayne Bridge than Paul Kitson.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was (very probably) mistaken on this one... somewhere, within the stitches of this thread, I claimed he was past it and a luxury squad player at best - re that injury track record... it would appear i was wrong... oh how happily so.

With Danny fit and leading the line I am sure we will not struggle, far from it.

On this evidence, a brilliant free transfer... perfection even.

Keep it up Danny.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Danny Welbeck, an apology.

You may have mistakenly read that when it was mooted we were in for you, there was a collective groan, and that most of us went to the cupboard, took out a packet of crisps, looked sadly at it, and tried to imagine it leading the line in an Albion shirt.

How wrong we were. We are now happy to announce that the world is your oyster. With repetition of the form and class displayed today and recently, an England recall is a mere formality, with an OBE, a JCB and an RSJ certain to follow.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course we should. (If fit etc etc) Some people are so quick to dismiss any well known player on here for some strange reason.

So far so good... long way to go... Anyone think they were too quick to dismiss this one? I am pleased about my comment on page 2 - some of the quick dismissive ones on the first few pages are starting to look a bit silly - guy is class and was on a free...

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
More importantly , he seems and I am sure is, a genuinely nice guy and one that fits in with our Club Ethos. Brilliant signing in my opinion and maybe he has influenced Aaron C a tad also? AC looked mustard today, glaring miss apart.

Oh happy days...

TNBA

TTF

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's not just about goals tho. This guy is powerful , fast and can hold the ball up he would compliment maupay and Connolly. I think you're being short sighted.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
#feelingsmug

Where's [MENTION=20342]Surf's Up[/MENTION] these days ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here