Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
I'm a man utd fan and im still a massive fan of welbz. He just turned 30 and he hasn't played a lot of football in his career. If it wasn't for injuries he would be man utd's number 9. Alex Ferguson was in love with him. Every since he gave him his debut at 17 he always played him and never dropped him. Only injuries kept him out. I remember welbeck was benching berbatov at 21 at utd.

Also at Arsenal. When he was fit he played. I do feel sorry for him that he has gone from playing with Scholes, Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Van Persie, Aubameyang, Ozil, Sanchez and etc to playing with maupay and Connelly. He seems out of place. I just hope he stays fit because he is a world class talent. He has played for a lot of different managers in England, Arsenal and Utd and he was a constant starter. Welbz could play for Barca, Brazil, France and he wouldn't be out of place.

Hi Danny :wave:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm a man utd fan and im still a massive fan of welbz. He just turned 30 and he hasn't played a lot of football in his career. If it wasn't for injuries he would be man utd's number 9. Alex Ferguson was in love with him. Every since he gave him his debut at 17 he always played him and never dropped him. Only injuries kept him out. I remember welbeck was benching berbatov at 21 at utd.

Also at Arsenal. When he was fit he played. I do feel sorry for him that he has gone from playing with Scholes, Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Van Persie, Aubameyang, Ozil, Sanchez and etc to playing with maupay and Connelly. He seems out of place. I just hope he stays fit because he is a world class talent. He has played for a lot of different managers in England, Arsenal and Utd and he was a constant starter. Welbz could play for Barca, Brazil, France and he wouldn't be out of place.

"I do feel sorry for him", well, dont because he seems very happy unlike in United where he was forced to play on the wing and unlike in Arsenal where you either go to turn into shit or to suffer from injuries year out year in. Welbeck was never a world class player: he was not world class while injured and not while playing and even while fit and in his best periods, there is no chance he would have been anywhere near a Barcelona starting spot. "Constant starter" is not really true either.

That said, he is a very good player and hopefully Potter's periodisation based training is able to keep him fit and give him a new peak... that will never be Barca/Brazil class - the ship has sailed - but good enough for a team eventually looking for a top 10 position.

Datguywelbz

Nov 28, 2020
"I do feel sorry for him", well, dont because he seems very happy unlike in United where he was forced to play on the wing and unlike in Arsenal where you either go to turn into shit or to suffer from injuries year out year in. Welbeck was never a world class player: he was not world class while injured and not while playing and even while fit and in his best periods, there is no chance he would have been anywhere near a Barcelona starting spot. "Constant starter" is not really true either.

That said, he is a very good player and hopefully Potter's periodisation based training is able to keep him fit and give him a new peak... that will never be Barca/Brazil class - the ship has sailed - but good enough for a team eventually looking for a top 10 position.

He has world class talent. Obviously he is not a world class player. Like I said if it wasn't for injuries, he would be utd's number 9. Also I have been following welbeck career closely since he scored on his debut at 17 for utd. He has started more games for utd, Arsenal and england then he has come off the bench for them. Also most of the times he came of the bench was when he was coming back from injury.

I mean Giroud is scoring goals for fun right now for Chelsea and he is about to become france all time record scorer. Wenger preferred welbeck over him. Like I said if Welbeck was not a sicknote he would have become a world class player. I mean think about it. He was always injured for utd and arsenal and he still started most of time. Imagine he actually had a run of games. I mean if he can play for the two best attacking managers the english league as seen. What makes you think he would be out of place for barca?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Welcome to the board.

I think most of us have been massively impressed with 'Welbz' so far, his intelligence, the runs he makes and his pace really frighten defenders and we look a much more dangerous team with him in it. There were a few doubters when he signed, mainly because of his injury record but if he stayed fit let's be honest he wouldn't be here. You can see why Sir Alec and Arsene rated him so highly. We realize we are lucky to have a player of such calibre here.

On the subject of your team, I do hope they keep the faith with OGS, Man Utd are too bigger team to keep down for long and if he can sort out the consistency of your players they could be a major player in the title race. It is an honor and a privilege to take on (and beat) the likes of Man U in the EPL and when United are at their best they are a joy to watch. The EPL needs a strong United so I am sure good times are around the corner.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I haven't followed Danny's career as closely as some, but remember watching him for England and thinking he looked miles better when wide out on the left.

Now that was in a 4-4-2, but it did make me think, he clearly is off form (lets be generous here) in front of goal. Should we be seeing him as someone competing with Trossard or Izquierdo for a more withdrawn, wider position and leave the main striking position to others, probably Maupay if he's ever going to play for us again, if not then Tau when we can get him in or AN other

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Errr, yes.

One goal, however well taken, isn't enough.

No striker will score every chance, that's unrealistic. But the chances against Burnley, Leicester and Fulham were regulation finishes at this level. We should have the right to expect that 2 out of those 3 go in. If Danny can't, we need someone who can

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Decent player and had some good performances and probably brings more to the team than our other options currently.

However isn’t any better in front of goal than Maupay or Connolly.

Still need a better striker

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I see it, we should be playing Connolly, if Maupay isn't playing for us any more.

He misses the odd chance, though not as bad as the ones Danny misses, but at least by playing him and allowing him to make these mistakes at the top level we're developing someone who has a long term future with us and a high potential sale value.

Wellbeck will probably just drift between clubs now for the rest of his career

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The way I see it, we should be playing Connolly, if Maupay isn't playing for us any more.

He misses the odd chance, though not as bad as the ones Danny misses, but at least by playing him and allowing him to make these mistakes at the top level we're developing someone who has a long term future with us and a high potential sale value.

Wellbeck will probably just drift between clubs now for the rest of his career

I get your point and don't disagree.

If we are ging to have a striker missing simple chances, let the youngster miss so he can learn and develop. It's a sad option to be considering but we still don't have that striker who can put away the simpler chances.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
10 yards too slow and has lost any nous he may have had. Looked very clumsy during the handball incident. Shame because when he signed I thought he would be a younger version of Glenn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here