Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One goal, however well taken, isn't enough.

No striker will score every chance, that's unrealistic. But the chances against Burnley, Leicester and Fulham were regulation finishes at this level. We should have the right to expect that 2 out of those 3 go in. If Danny can't, we need someone who can

Agreed.

My concern with Welbeck was centred around his fitness and how many games we'd be able to get out of him. I had no concerns about his ability to score when presented with the chances.

I was happy to look over his earlier poor finishes, putting it down to match sharpness, but I'm not sure that's the case any longer. As well taken as his goal against Villa was, he's had a fair few chances that were considerably easier and he's missed them all.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I know Welbeck has played in teams with much better players than us but you can’t ignore all through his career be it for England, Arsenal, United & even Watford he somehow always ended up as more of a wide player than an out and out striker, funnily enough I thought he looked his most threatening when he was out on that left wing facing players up, he doesn’t really run in behind and doesn’t hold the ball up.

I’m not sure why some of our fans expected a deadly PL finisher I don’t think Welbeck has ever been that to be honest, we are lacking a top class striker and I think we probably all knew that in the summer, what was hard to foresee was Maupays form totally going through the floor. If we survive this year we desperately need a top class finisher, I’d even go as far as to say if we are still struggling in January I reckon Bloom might roll the dice and go after one, he’s a fan like us and can surely see we are desperate for a finisher.

I’m sure I’ll get called mental but I still to this day think Ali J could do a job up front, he seems like a much more instinctive finisher than most of our other attackers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.

My concern with Welbeck was centred around his fitness and how many games we'd be able to get out of him. I had no concerns about his ability to score when presented with the chances.

I was happy to look over his earlier poor finishes, putting it down to match sharpness, but I'm not sure that's the case any longer. As well taken as his goal against Villa was, he's had a fair few chances that were considerably easier and he's missed them all.

Hard to argue with that, his wayward finishing has arguably cost us quite a few points in not many games

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed.

Bit to be fair none of our forwards are particularly lethal in front of goal and Welbeck has more to him in the final third than Maupay especially in terms of touch in recent times.

Connolly I just can’t decide as there are times he’s very good and others poor, but he has time on his side..... and remains a good prospect IMO

To me the tactics are wrong and we need to go with a two, rather than play the hapless Trossard.

I’d like to see Zeqiri (?sp) given a chance but in a two.

I’d swap Maupay for Toney in a heartbeat - you need physicality and we look light....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

Still very happy with him. Comfortably our best striker and I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting the chances

Think the stick he is getting is ridiculous when he's been here under two months and made just 6 starts for us, integrating into a new side after not playing for 4 months. And just a couple of games ago he was getting widely praised for his all round game and contribution, some real memory issues and deeply entrenched, blinkered views on here.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Still very happy with him. Comfortably our best striker and I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting the chances

Think the stick he is getting is ridiculous when he's been here under two months and made just 6 starts for us, integrating into a new side after not playing for 4 months. And just a couple of games ago he was getting widely praised for his all round game and contribution, some real memory issues and deeply entrenched, blinkered views on here.

I don’t think anyone is giving him stick.

A few, myself included are a little disappointed with the chances he is missing.

We still need an upgrade in that position.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair this is Brighton and Hove Albion. We have always signed strikers who can bang in goals, just seemingly not when they come to us.

I also don't think Maupay is far away, but for whatever reason he is on a bad run of form. You can't score as many goals as he did in the Championship, and even score as many as he did last season and suddenly become a bad striker

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A few, myself included are a little disappointed with the chances he is missing.

Exactly - absolutely no stick from me at all, just the same disappointment you express.

It's a game of ultra-fine margins, and if he'd found the back of the net just 2 or 3 more times (he's credited with missing 3 big chances in the official PL stats) we'd not be looking over our shoulder quite so nervously right now.

He's far from the only culprit though, and I'd not suggest otherwise.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Read some of the comments on here and other threads, he’s been getting a lot of stick.

But other than the one against Leicester where he still had to beat a top quality keeper, I don’t think any of his chances have been sitters particularly. He would hope to do better but they’ve not been open goal tap ins or anything.

The goals will come but he also offers us a target, holds the ball up well, creates space for others and makes good runs all game. He’s got genuine quality and is streets ahead of Maupay and Connolly.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Read some of the comments on here and other threads, he’s been getting a lot of stick.

But other than the one against Leicester where he still had to beat a top quality keeper, I don’t think any of his chances have been sitters particularly. He would hope to do better but they’ve not been open goal tap ins or anything.

The goals will come but he also offers us a target, holds the ball up well, creates space for others and makes good runs all game. He’s got genuine quality and is streets ahead of Maupay and Connolly.

If by stick you mean people saying he needs to do better then you are right. However I wouldn’t class that as stick and I haven’t seen multiple people screaming for him to be dropped.... just that we need someone better.

He does need to improve fast...he is being presented with a chance every game which he should be scoring and so far he has only got one.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
If by stick you mean people saying he needs to do better then you are right. However I wouldn’t class that as stick and I haven’t seen multiple people screaming for him to be dropped.... just that we need someone better.

He does need to improve fast...he is being presented with a chance every game which he should be scoring and so far he has only got one.

Hat-trick on Sunday! :goal:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Danny Welbeck will never be a 15/20 goal a season striker

Just seen as well he’s 6ft1 apparently, is it me or does he not look that tall?

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Danny Welbeck will never be a 15/20 goal a season striker

Just seen as well he’s 6ft1 apparently, is it me or does he not look that tall?

We can't afford a 15+ a season goal scorer.

Look at who has been in that table the last few seasons and I think Chris Woods is the only one who has hit that tally and would be realistic

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Davidson Nunez was the guy they wanted and weren't able to get. Welbeck is a stand in and a good one at that. But what he isn't and never has been is prolific the much maligned Maupay was our best chance of a 15 goal striker this season and it would appear that his nut and form have gone for now. It is what it is but both Welbeck and the attacking midfield players need to step up and bridge the gap...

Jimmy Grimble

The finishing this season from our strikers has just continued to reinforce how good Murray’s finishing was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree. I read a post earlier that said ‘Murray would have scored all three of those chances’. Would he bollocks. Love the bloke but he had nothing like a 100% shot to goal ratio. Last game I remember with Muzza was missing a sitter at Everton that he should have buried. [emoji2369]

Welbeck is doing ok - still early days. Big plus is his fitness so far too. What we need is for him to have 3 or 4 decent chances per game, and he’ll likely score a goal or two (like most strikers). At the moment he’s usually only getting one decent chance because we aren’t creating enough in the final third - and then that single missed chance becomes a stick to beat him with because it’s the only one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here