Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're Adam Lallana

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lallana is a blocker to our other players and his value is off the pitch, not on it. Another ridiculous cameo on Saturday.

Word up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do you seriously think that Lallana has been the difference?

You're saying players need a chance of a run of games without Lallana - we've just had 3, and Spurs will be 4. So lets see how that run of games without him goes...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You're saying players need a chance of a run of games without Lallana - we've just had 3, and Spurs will be 4. So lets see how that run of games without him goes...

Yes I am, and I'm also saying that the players aren't getting a run of games because the manager rotates and rotates and rotates. It prevents players getting into a rhythm. In Moder's case, he gets moved all over the pitch which presumably can't benefit the player. Alzate's come in from the cold and had a few starts recently but has come off. Personally, I think I were a player under Potter it would really frustrate me the way he picks his teams and formations.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes I am, and I'm also saying that the players aren't getting a run of games because the manager rotates and rotates and rotates. It prevents players getting into a rhythm. In Moder's case, he gets moved all over the pitch which presumably can't benefit the player. Alzate's come in from the cold and had a few starts recently but has come off. Personally, I think I were a player under Potter it would really frustrate me the way he picks his teams and formations.

Have to agree. Potter seems to put too much emphasis on players' being able to switch positions, switch formations etc when imo a player plays into form better in a settled position and team. Yes, some adaptability is great and needed in today's game but..... hey, perhaps I am too old fashioned and don';t understand the game. edit - it's almost as though Potter is too fond of being "unpredictable" but aren't we actually a very predictable team?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Have to agree. Potter seems to put too much emphasis on players' being able to switch positions, switch formations etc when imo a player plays into form better in a settled position and team. Yes, some adaptability is great and needed in today's game but..... hey, perhaps I am too old fashioned and don';t understand the game.

Personally, I would say Manchester City and Liverpool are the best two teams in the Country and have been for the last 5 years. They both play a very specific way and they rotate their players but not the formations or tactics. City don't randomly end up with Gundogan at right back and Liverpool don't ask Alexander-Arnold to be a right back one day and a right wing back another. They don't unsettle their teams but Potter does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What's the problem with him this time, do we know? Long layoff or a short one?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I am in partial agreement with your point. I think at the start of the season we did have a slightly more settled side, and I think that showed in our results. I am not sure exactly what Moder has done to be dropped, but then equally I think Alzate does deserve a chance.

However, I don't think it is entirely GPs fault. Injuries, Covid, African nations tournament, suspensions and one transfer has led to a much more unsettled 2022.

But the alternative viewpoint is that if the team is losing, you need to make changes to find the winning formula.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am in partial agreement with your point. I think at the start of the season we did have a slightly more settled side, and I think that showed in our results. I am not sure exactly what Moder has done to be dropped, but then equally I think Alzate does deserve a chance.

However, I don't think it is entirely GPs fault. Injuries, Covid, African nations tournament, suspensions and one transfer has led to a much more unsettled 2022.

But the alternative viewpoint is that if the team is losing, you need to make changes to find the winning formula.

There are a lot of fair points there - GP isn't to blame for the injuries to Webster and Dunk at various times, et al. But I really think his general desire to change the team and the tactics is holding him and our team back. Others will disagree and argue it's necessary, but personally I think it's no coincidence that our most successful time has been when the team was settled.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Apart from probably being one of the biggest donkeys in front of goal in recent games... (And I do really rate Moder, but the fact he hasn't scored is tragic) I do think he has played a lot of football. He had no summer off due to the Euros, played a lot of us, international window in the autumn - so not surprised as a young player if he needs a breather for a game or 2.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He is the reason that Mac Allister is in and out, why Alzate only gets a game from time to time and why Gross also can't get a run in the team. If any of those three got a regular run in the team, the way Lallana does if he's fit enough, I'm sure any of them would add more to the team. Lallana's a quality player, but you can't rely on him and he's not got that much longer left at the top level. It frustrates me that he gets to play so much.

So Lallana plays too much , but you can’t rely on him and he’s not fit enough. He’s a quality player but you’re frustrated he’s playing because he’s blocking Alzate (who’s been injured for months), Gross (11th most minutes this season) and Mac (13th most minutes this season) .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I thought Alzate was an absolute liability once he lost the ball quite early in the game having started well. Lost so many balls along with terrible passes. I was calling for him to be subbed at half time, which he was. You cannot legislate for his replacement needing replacing after a few minutes though.

I thought Alzate deserved his chance after the Newcastle game but he was terrible for most of the first half imo

This team needs a massive slice of luck to get back on track imo, we look a shadow of the side we had been until half time at Old Trafford

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
So Lallana plays too much , but you can’t rely on him and he’s not fit enough. He’s a quality player but you’re frustrated he’s playing because he’s blocking Alzate (who’s been injured for months), Gross (11th most minutes this season) and Mac (13th most minutes this season) .

Congratulations for deliberately ignoring the points that I've made. Say whatever you like, the team selection is inconsistent and players are regularly in and out, apart from Lallana who plays if he's fit. Whether he justifies it or not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Congratulations for deliberately ignoring the points that I've made. Say whatever you like, the team selection is inconsistent and players are regularly in and out, apart from Lallana who plays if he's fit. Whether he justifies it or not.

Apart from being on the bench 5 times this season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I disagree but let’s leave it there

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Moder been far more wasteful in front of goal …

They've all been shocking in front of goal. You could have a competition for the worst 10 misses in the Prem this season and Brighton would have 5 of them at least. Our ace striker is probably at number 1 for missing an open goal when almost standing on the goalline with the goalkeeper barely within shouting distance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
His higher wages even over the course of say 3 years, would probably be less than a £1.5m transfer fee.

Not sure about your maths there. I remember it was suggested Knocky/Dunk were the top earners at the club - on around £50,000 a week - quite some years ago.

So if we're conservative and say Lallana is on £60,000 a week - over 3 years that's £9.3million.

If we go further, disregard the Knocky figure and cut it right down to £30,000 (no chance that is our cap in 2022) - that's still £4.6m. A quick google source suggests Lallana could be on about £4.7m per year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Has he been fit when he has been sat on the bench though? Saturday would suggest not.

Yeah I imagine he isnt entirely fit because he would probably play then. Badger Boy might not like him but GP does, and the team gains a lot more points with than without Lallana and I struggle to see Lallanas infrequent game time since his hamstring injury two months ago as a tactical decision. Would imagine he is carrying some "we'll fix it during the international break" or "we'll fix it after the season" issue that limits his game time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure about your maths there. I remember it was suggested Knocky/Dunk were the top earners at the club - on around £50,000 a week - quite some years ago.

So if we're conservative and say Lallana is on £60,000 a week - over 3 years that's £9.3million.

If we go further, disregard the Knocky figure and cut it right down to £30,000 (no chance that is our cap in 2022) - that's still £4.6m. A quick google source suggests Lallana could be on about £4.7m per year.

Over and above our top earners as the highest paid player. So if Dunk and others are on £50k and that is for a top player at the club, then Lallana on £60k is +£10k per week over and above the other high earners. As his transfer fee was £0k, then over 3 years, the extra £10k per week in wages is £1.56m. Even if you said comparable to a player on £30k per week, if you equated Lallana on the same money as them for 3 years, effectively his cost/fee if you like is £4.68m.

If someone said you can have Adam Lallana for 3 years on £30k pw and he'll cost you under £5m, I suspect you'd see that as worth a punt and good value in the PL. As it is, £0 transfer fee and £60k pw highest wages and suddenly he seems expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here