[Albion] Would you take Glenn Murray on loan?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take Glenn Murray on loan?

• Yes! Zamora and Murray in the same squad would be AMAZING

Votes: 206 86.2%
  • No - too old/tainted goods or something like that

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For those continuing to get it wrong, we did not deem him to be not good enough and nor did we release him. A contract offer was made, he accepted a different offer and left - he's got every right to take the offer he thought was best, just a shame it wasn't ours. Imagine where we'd have gone had we kept Murray and played CMS within a few hundred yards of a proper partner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For those continuing to get it wrong, we did not deem him to be not good enough and nor did we release him. A contract offer was made, he accepted a different offer and left - he's got every right to take the offer he thought was best, just a shame it wasn't ours. Imagine where we'd have gone had we kept Murray and played CMS within a few hundred yards of a proper partner.

If you are so in the know maybe you can clarify just how much more the club offered CMS in wages than they deigned to offer Murray?

Would DOUBLE be over egging it ???

The club ****ed up, whether it was Gus or TB or a combination of both.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you are so in the know maybe you can clarify just how much more the club offered CMS in wages than they deigned to offer Murray?

Would DOUBLE be over egging it ???

The club ****ed up, whether it was Gus or TB or a combination of both.

I was rumoured that CMS was paid the same as Murray was offered £13.5k per week but CPFC offered and paid him £15k. a week. Not sure how much credence can be given to the rumour. Our financial loss was the fee paid for CMS.but nobody could have envisaged him not hitting it off after his efforts in Lge 1.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

Sorry mate, but while you are factually correct, your post does anything but tell the whole story.

We made Murray a derisory offer which was only fractionally above his existing contract. This for a player who had just scored 20 goals and achieved promotion for a club moving into a new stadium - I'm not surprised he decided to leave and pursue a more reasonable offer.

It is my belief that the club (Poyet) did not want to keep Murray, but did not want to be seen to release him, so made him an offer they knew he was likely to turn down. This may or may not have been (in part) to fund the CMS deal. If this is the case, it has to go down in hindsight as one of the worst transfer scenarios in the club's history.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Duplicate post.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry mate, but while you are factually correct, your post does anything but tell the whole story.

We made Murray a derisory offer which was only fractionally above his existing contract. This for a player who had just scored 20 goals and achieved promotion for a club moving into a new stadium - I'm not surprised he decided to leave and pursue a more reasonable offer.

The offer was double his wage, but he asked for quadruple. Our offer was not derisory.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This for a player who had just scored 20 goals and achieved promotion for a club moving into a new stadium - I'm not surprised he decided to leave and pursue a more reasonable offer.

You make it sound like he single handedly dragged us to promotion.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
The offer was double his wage, but he asked for quadruple. Our offer was not derisory.

That really depends on what the figures were. Double not a lot (he was on his 1st contract since leaving league 2 Rochdale) could still be seen as derisory.

If we had signed glenn (who was shite for palace that next season) we would not have signed ulloa and made £8m.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
You make it sound like he single handedly dragged us to promotion.

Hardly - he achieved promotion along with every other player and staff member at the club. However his 20+ goals, combined with that promotion, meant he could expect to be paid accordingly.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
YES! Fantastic player! Should never have been sold in the first place!

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I heard arumour that he actually wanted to come back to us (and the family still lived locally) but we wouldnt up our wages offer from £10k a week so he went to Bournemouth instead on nearly double that

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I heard arumour that he actually wanted to come back to us (and the family still lived locally) but we wouldnt up our wages offer from £10k a week so he went to Bournemouth instead on nearly double that

He was on £25k/w at Palace and Parish said he recieved a generous increase on his wages when he signed for Bournemouth. He'll be on £30k+

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes please. As I always say, Muzza departure was Gus' biggest mistake pre-gross misconduct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports