Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you take Glenn Murray on loan?

Would you take Glenn Murray on loan?

• Yes! Zamora and Murray in the same squad would be AMAZING

Votes: 206 86.2%
  • No - too old/tainted goods or something like that

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Glenn scored 31 goals for us in our promotion season. He'd absolutely smash the Championship but he's on 30k+ so I doubt you could afford him.

He scored eight in the Championship for Reading last year, an admittedly quite reasonable goal ratio for his 18 appearances (though two of them were against us, which hardly counts, given firstly their grim inevitability, and secondly our appalling performances for much of the season).

Afford? We're going pretty well at the moment. Plenty of teams would love to be in our place right now. In purely statistical terms, we're in a better position to reach the Premier League than 22 other clubs. Perhaps the powers that be might view the relatively small outlay to land a proven goalscorer for six weeks as a cheeky but worthwhile gamble. Consider the improved TV deal for the PL next season, which pretty guarantees that even the shittest of Premier League clubs will turn a profit. Worth a flutter?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Come on then, Glenn or Wilson, what's actually likely to happen or are you hedging your bets?

Wilson is out for more or less the whole season. Done his cruciate ligament in back in September so will be out for 6 months and will need time to get match fit.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Yes. Bit of a redundant question though given he's just gone to Bournemouth for millions.

Hilarious really, gone to Muff for 5 million 5 years after we gave him to the scum because he was not good enough for us, would have got us back to back promotion had we kept him, would probably still be there too :albion2:You could not make it up no one would believe you

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hilarious really, gone to Muff for 5 million 5 years after we gave him to the scum because he was not good enough for us, would have got us back to back promotion had we kept him, would probably still be there too :albion2:You could not make it up no one would believe you

It wasn't 5mil up front. It was 'rumoured' as a deal worth £5mil (I doubt they know for sure) but that would be after lots of add ons. Oh and we didn't give him to them. Oh and we offered a contract so obviously didn't think he wasn't good enough. Oh and I very much doubt he'd have single handedly taken us from 10th/11th to promotion. Apart from that I agree with all you say :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't 5mil up front. It was 'rumoured' as a deal worth £5mil (I doubt they know for sure) but that would be after lots of add ons. Oh and we didn't give him to them. Oh and we offered a contract so obviously didn't think he wasn't good enough. Oh and I very much doubt he'd have single handedly taken us from 10th/11th to promotion. Apart from that I agree with all you say :lol:

Sounds like you're struggling to admit letting Murray go was a MASSIVE **** up by the Albion :smile:

IF we'd tried a bit harder we could have kept him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What might have been is now totally irrelevant what TB needs to ask himself now is could he be the man to fire us to the Premier. If the answer is yes then the money should be made available but we do not know what other irons are in the fire.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sounds like you're struggling to admit letting Murray go was a MASSIVE **** up by the Albion :smile:

IF we'd tried a bit harder we could have kept him.

Not at all - I agree with what you say. Just not the magnitude that Mutts Nutts suggested.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Ha. If Howe has really fallen out with Murray to the extent where he's been told he has no future there, they might not be too keen to let him sit around, earning £30k per week, doing nothing to earn it and affecting the rest of the squad with his low morale.

Better to cut your losses, get rid of all or some of the wage bill until such time as you can offload permanently. He also still lives in Brighton, and his WAG is also a local girl (who never fancied moving to the Croydon area, strangely).

Admit it: you'd be really disappointed if he came back here, wouldn't you? :lol: Not because it affects you in any way, but just because you like to believe he's your special guy. When in fact he's just a very decent striker who had one phenomenal season for Palace, resulting in you getting promoted.

So cutting to the chase Edna, would you want him back or not ?
If TB sanctions the move, will he admit he made a mistake in agreeing to kick Glenn off the Gus Bus ?
FWIW, can't see him paying his wages and loan fee for a short loan, think he'll go for a younger player with sell on value.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If TB sanctions the move, will he admit he made a mistake in agreeing to kick Glenn off the Gus Bus ?

I don't think TB is at fault here. He employed a manager to make football decisions. That manager's judgement was poor in this case.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I cynically wonder if Bozza has been asked to sound out the oiks to see what the feeling is before he makes a bid and as you say can conveniently blame someone else!

I don't think TB is at fault here. He employed a manager to make football decisions. That manager's judgement was poor in this case.

D

Deleted User X18H

Hypothetically of course he could have been fined for being continually being late for training. Withdean Road area to somewhere near Poole is a big ask to get to at 9:30am everyday. Also hypothetically having to pick your step kids up from A school near Fiveways at 3:30pm after leaving training somewhere near Poole at 1pm is also a big ask.

You might want to leave early and miss a vital team talk .

All hypothetical of course.

Realistically I can see Murray going to Watford if any where

And anyhow (not Eddie Howe) I would prefer Ulloa.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

IMO that's true. I was always under the impression that Gus thought he could manage without Glen. But that is only my view, I can't somehow imagine Tony letting him go, if the manager had said we need him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hypothetically of course he could have been fined for being continually being late for training. Withdean Road area to somewhere near Poole is a big ask to get to at 9:30am everyday. Also hypothetically having to pick your step kids up from A school near Fiveways at 3:30pm after leaving training somewhere near Poole at 1pm is also a big ask.

You might want to leave early and miss a vital team talk .

All hypothetical of course.

Realistically I can see Murray going to Watford if any where

And anyhow (not Eddie Howe) I would prefer Ulloa.
He can't go to Watford until the January transfer window opens, as any football journalist could tell you, the loan window cannot be used by PL clubs to bring in players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Glenn scored 31 goals for us in our promotion season. He'd absolutely smash the Championship but he's on 30k+ so I doubt you could afford him.

"Afford" is the wrong word. Our chairman is comfortably a billionaire. I reckon SOMEHOW he could afford it. It's that he's determined to run the club in a prudent way, not go into admin and all that palaver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here