[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When we will find out if 5th gets CL? That is what we should be aiming for.
We won’t know for certain until the end of the season. There is an extra CL place for the best two performing associations based on this seasons co-efficient points. England have finished in the top two every season since 2006-07 except for 15-16 and 16-17.

Regardless of where we finish, I'd genuinely prefer to be in the EL next season than the CL at this stage of our development.

I don't think there's any chance we could make a CL final (assuming we could even get out the group).

With a years previous experience, I do reckon we could make a EL final, if we play to our ability and get a bit of luck.

With the changes to the Champions League next season only the bottom 12 clubs don’t make it out of the group stage. The top 8 automatically make the round of 16 with places 9-24 going into a play off round for the reaming places in the last 16.

The huge bonus for clubs in the Europa League is there is no longer any drop down for Champions League clubs at the end of group stage.

Last edited:

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Prepare to be ASTONISHED.

I would NOT take 7th place.

This squad rotation business is happening because RDZ wants to us to last the season, and last the season we will.

I'd take 6th though.
This. I think we will have a really strong second half of the season. We may bring in a couple in Jan, Enciso back, already out the Carabao cup. By January it could be just the league and FA cup to play for if we do not pull through our Europa league group!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We won’t know for certain until the end of the season. There is an extra CL place for the best two performing associations based on this seasons co-efficient points. England have finished in the top two every season since 2006-07 except for 15-16 and 16-17.

With the changes to the Champions League next season only the bottom 12 clubs don’t make it out of the group stage. The top 8 automatically make the round of 16 with places 9-24 going into a play off round for the reaming places in the last 16.

The huge bonus for clubs in the Europa League is there is no longer any drop down for Champions League clubs at the end of group stage.
So presumably this means 8th would probably be enough to secure Conference League. I would be reasonably confident on finishing top 8, so it seems like we should be having another European adventure next season at some level.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So presumably this means 8th would probably be enough to secure Conference League. I would be reasonably confident on finishing top 8, so it seems like we should be having another European adventure next season at some level.
If the PL gets the extra Champions League place it should be as follows

1-5 Champions League
6 and FA Cup winners - Europa League
League Cup winner - Conference League

Obviously the FA Cup and League Cup places filter down in the event of the a side in the top 6 winning those competitions but there is no guarantee that will happen.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

1-5 Champions League

Obviously the FA Cup and League Cup places filter down in the event of the a side in the top 6 winning those competitions but there is no guarantee that will happen.
Having said we would hopefully finish at least 8th, it also does seem much more competitive this year.

Last season both Spurs and Chelsea underperformed. Spurs obviously doing well and I can see Chelsea becoming stronger as the season goes on. Maybe Man U will be the Big 6 strugglers - but in reality there is now a 'Big 7' with Newcastle.

I think the rest of the top 10 is pretty much predetermined - us, Villa and West Ham. So at the least we'd probably need to finish above them.

I can see us finishing anywhere from 4th to 10th atm - I've really no idea. We look more vulnerable defensively this season. 7th would certainly be 'decent' enough.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

1-5 Champions League

The other situations to the norm are English clubs winning Champs Lge, Europa Lge and Europa Conf Lge, but not doing so well in the Premier League. Depending on their Premier league positions we could end up with 7 clubs in the Champions League, not sure if we would get 2 or 3 in Europa League, and 1 in the Conference.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ask yourself, would RDZ, then have a long hard chat with yourself if you would take such a lowly position so early into the season :smile:

I would be disappointed with 7th but totally accepting if it happened, there is no way I’d settle for it now though. Time to bin the small club mentality.

This thread and the defeatist shit before kick off on yesterday’s match day thread shows so little belief in the best coach in Europe with the best recruitment team in the world
Just three more posts @Icy Gull and you'll have posted the most replies on NSC....Bens Grandad (RIP) had 72,015.....

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
I predicted 7th at the start of the season and I'd be well happy with that. It's just based at least one of Spuds or Chelski not being as awful as last season, I also think Villa will run us very close...

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
To the 34%, would you now take 7th?
Realistically, I'd take anything above the top 10, which would still be a great achievement, although it falls below what I think we are capable of doing.
Tough season with Europa League thrown-in and a depleted squad though injuries.
I always remind myself that it wasn't long ago that I/we were worried about the possibility of relegation.
It's nice to console oneself that that doesn't appear to be an issue....at least for another season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You'd be absolutely mad not to take 7th. Most predictions had us 9th, think that won the poll on here too.
Top half would be incredible considering the distraction of Europe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Realistically, I'd take anything above the top 10, which would still be a great achievement, although it falls below what I think we are capable of doing.
Tough season with Europa League thrown-in and a depleted squad though injuries.
I always remind myself that it wasn't long ago that I/we were worried about the possibility of relegation.
It's nice to console oneself that that doesn't appear to be an issue....at least for another season.

Before the season started, I said 10th and a long run in the EL eg quarter’s would be a great season. The 10th simply because of the demands of Thursday travels/injuries/fatigue …. whilst most PL clubs have a juicy week’s rest and prep before they try to chisel out PL wins. For a lower budget squad.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Before the season started, I said 10th and a long run in the EL eg quarter’s would be a great season. The 10th simply because of the demands of Thursday travels/injuries/fatigue …. whilst most PL clubs have a juicy week’s rest and prep before they try to chisel out PL wins. For a lower budget squad.
Quite, and that's before the extra games that the FA Cup could bring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports