Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With the Premier League likely to get five Champions League spots, I'm assuming both 6th and 7th would ensure Europa League qualification (someone will quickly correct me on this, I'm sure).

The Opta SUPERCOMPUTER currently predicts us finishing 7th - one place worse than last year, obviously - but given we're battling in Europe this season, that doesn't feel like it would be a bad outcome, particularly if it gave us another shot at the Europa League.

Would you take it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would be ASTONISHED if anybody would not.

You'd have to be delusional, or spectacularly complacent about our current place in the order of things, to NOT take seventh. It would be a fantastic achievement.

That didn't take long...

To be honest 7th would be a great result at the end of a demanding season where expectations have been raised. Am I taking it now though.....No. Let's keep the new dream alive for a little longer.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove

You'd have to be delusional, or spectacularly complacent about our current place in the order of things, to NOT take seventh. It would be a fantastic achievement.

Prepare to be ASTONISHED.

I would NOT take 7th place.

This squad rotation business is happening because RDZ wants to us to last the season, and last the season we will.

I'd take 6th though.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Given this is our first season in Europe, and the squad will be stretched, yes I’d take 7th. Every chance we could do better, but 7th & conference qualification would be decent.

I might be saying different come the latter third of the season though as Baleba, Igor, and Adingra continue to develop.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And miss out on a season of De Zerbi football. Not thanks.

Throw in a cup and I'll think about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would - just - yes. But I would still have a nagging feeling that we could achieve top 5 with RDZ.

It's not that I'm demanding - I just think he is THAT good a manager.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
7th would mean European football again. I’d take that, be less demand for away tickets and might be able to get to some therefore!!

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
There are only three teams that will definitely finish above us - Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. There are still two Champions League spots after that and we're in a fight with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Man United and Spurs for those. Finishing in the top two of those five is clearly difficult, but not impossible when we have the best manager in the division. So to answer the question, I probably wouldn't take it at this stage as this could be the best chance we'll ever have to make the Champions League and I really think we can do it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've voted no as why would you want to go backwards?

Appreciate it's probably a stronger league this year but we're still mixing it with the so called big boys so why shouldn't we be pushing for a CL spot?
Because we’re not nearly rich enough. I mean we’re rich, but got to be OPEC level to really stand a chance. Good as we are, we won’t finish to 4. And don’t quote a unique freak 1-5000 Leicester as evidence we could. I could also end winning the jackpot lottery. But I probably my won’t. Because the odds are astonishingly against us over 38 games rather than first 8-10.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The target is Champions League.
DeZerbi has said as much.

Whether that's from League position or by winning the Europa league is tbc.

Definitely not accepting 7th yet, as I haven't seen 6 better teams than us.
City are better than everyone.
But there really isn't much to pick between us and the next 6 best teams (Arse/Liverpool/Spurs/Newcastle/Villa/West Ham).
Accepting 7th implies I think we would finish below all of these teams.

I don't think we will.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ask yourself, would RDZ, then have a long hard chat with yourself if you would take such a lowly position so early into the season :smile:

I would be disappointed with 7th but totally accepting if it happened, there is no way I’d settle for it now though. Time to bin the small club mentality.

This thread and the defeatist shit before kick off on yesterday’s match day thread shows so little belief in the best coach in Europe with the best recruitment team in the world

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Albion have already avoided defeat in the first 8 games from 3 teams that finished above them last season (ie: the top 5)
Newcastle (W), Man Utd (W), Liverpool (D).

Lets see how that run continues at the Etihad.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Maybe I'm being whooshed here, but I'm astonished at your astonishment. We're easily playing like one of the top five clubs in this division, and to take seventh at this early stage would be a tad defeatist don't you think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here