Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
This will sound negative but we are considerably weaker than last season. None of the new signings have been close to the level of the players they have replaced. We are well placed in the league but the performances haven’t been great and we are arguably in a false position. I’d be very surprised if we finished in the top half.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This will sound negative but we are considerably weaker than last season. None of the new signings have been close to the level of the players they have replaced. We are well placed in the league but the performances haven’t been great and we are arguably in a false position. I’d be very surprised if we finished in the top half.
The only place we are weaker is central midfield. We are stronger in attack and arguably stronger in defence and goalkeeper as I rate verbruggen above Sanchez.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The only place we are weaker is central midfield. We are stronger in attack and arguably stronger in defence and goalkeeper as I rate verbruggen above Sanchez.
Centre midfield effectively runs the game , physically we are not strong enough, our Midfield and attack yesterday was so lightweight,
we hardly created a chance after the first 15 mins

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Centre midfield effectively runs the game , physically we are not strong enough, our Midfield and attack yesterday was so lightweight,
we hardly created a chance after the first 15 mins

Totally agree that CM is key to any team.

But against very poor opposition yesterday, we controlled the game until Dahoud’s moment of madness.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
No way are we finishing seventh this season. Villa, arguably west ham, Chelsea will defo finish above us, throw into that the rigours of europa league, injuries I'd be well chuffed to finish in top half and have a go at Europe.The pikeys could even finish above us.Sorry for that one guys and girls.Btw it's just an opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure I can agree with the false position comment - how many games this season has our result been "lucky"? We arguably played well enough to get more points from the Fulham and Sheff Utd games also. I think we're about where we should be, performances wise.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Think we will surprise many on here, over there, and everywhere and finish 7th place or even HIGHER this season.

Predict that RDZ is getting it spot on with the rotation - and we will really kick on in the final third of the season, as others falter.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Just changed from 'no' to 'yes'.
However, it'll only take a couple of wins to change back to 'no' again.

...and so on, through the season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think we will surprise many on here, over there, and everywhere and finish 7th place or even HIGHER this season.

Predict that RDZ is getting it spot on with the rotation - and we will really kick on in the final third of the season, as others falter.
I think it's particularly interesting to see what happens with us and Villa over the season.

I would argue similar standard squads, and the same amount of games so far. We are taking two opposite approaches - I really hope RDZ's pays off.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think it's particularly interesting to see what happens with us and Villa over the season.

I would argue similar standard squads, and the same amount of games so far. We are taking two opposite approaches - I really hope RDZ's pays off.
Aston Villa's wages, and squad spend is way above where Albion are. They have a top ten wage bill . We have a bottom 5 wage bill.
We forget that we've outperformed our spend/wage bill massively in finishing 9th and 6th in the last two seasons - let alone generate net millions in transfer fees.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
City. Liverpool and Arsenal top three, nailed on IMHO. Below them comes a group made up of Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, United and Chelsea - if we can manage to finish above any two of these we'll have had a fantastic season, so yes, I'd take 7th. if offered now in a heartbeat!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aston Villa's wages, and squad spend is way above where Albion are. They have a top ten wage bill . We have a bottom 5 wage bill.
We forget that we've outperformed our spend/wage bill massively in finishing 9th and 6th in the last two seasons - let alone generate net millions in transfer fees.
I don't deny any of that - that's a separate issue.

I maintain I believe De Zerbi has us performing at a very similar level to Villa - hence our league positions over the last couple of seasons. Hardly a controversial view is it?

Also, we know that we outperform teams regularly with regarding spend to positions - West Ham, Chelsea, many more.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This. Villa’s squad and payroll costs are on a totally different level to ours.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This was a great thread.

...and then it started. Enciso got injured etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here