Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well I didn't notice the words on screen to the verse and I sang the usual chant 'we're going up etc' to the chorus. Won't be changing that. I don't like the abbreviation to GOSBTS at all. I always read it as GOBSHITES for some reason. But I thought the version of Ring of Fire was terrific. Reminded me of the throbbing, rhythmic pre-match build up to the play-off final at Cardiff. Very effective imho.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This. I listen to all the games on seagullsplayer and the number of fans singing the words and in time was a HUGE improvement compared to other home games. Those saying that it is embarrassing really need to get a life and find something a lot more important to get embarrassed about.

I think/hope they were being tongue in cheek. If not, then you're right: there really are more important things in life to be embarrassed about.

Wasn't there but sounded decent on the audio clip I heard. It is the sort of thing that will get better by the game as more fans catch on to it. Chancs are that a good proportion didn't realise that the words were there.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Eh ? Sorry I'm not understanding this point ????

I think he is referring to the way modern football is becoming now.
The machine of football and the new matchday experience
It is not the English way but seemingly now people are accepting this ' American' matchday culture

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It is not the English way but seemingly now people are accepting this ' American' matchday culture

Ok I see, but changing the team name and kit colour is something to complain about, agree 100%.
But having the words to our anthem on a screen for a few moments isn't a bad thing, the kids (and some adults) get Fanzone on the screen for a lot longer.

Feb 14, 2010

This. It seems to be in all sport. Did anyone se the Wales / England rugby. All those fireworks and light show. So over the top. Probably the most embarrassing I have seen was a singer full microphone in hand singing you'll never walk alone at Anfield as fans waved their scarves. Just cringeworthy. I think they just play the record now. The FA Cup final has it as well with opera singers totally destroying Abide With Me. Nobody stopped to think that what makes Abide with me is that the fans sing it, not some opera singer. There we go, people get paid to think up these things and so to many that argue for it have a vested interest in it ad it makes it hard to stop.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
This. It seems to be in all sport. Did anyone se the Wales / England rugby. All those fireworks and light show. So over the top. Probably the most embarrassing I have seen was a singer full microphone in hand singing you'll never walk alone at Anfield as fans waved their scarves. Just cringeworthy. I think they just play the record now. The FA Cup final has it as well with opera singers totally destroying Abide With Me. Nobody stopped to think that what makes Abide with me is that the fans sing it, not some opera singer. There we go, people get paid to think up these things and so to many that argue for it have a vested interest in it ad it makes it hard to stop.

I know what you mean and whilst we're on the subject of change, why don't people wear the right headgear to matches anymore?

article-0-0DE52A5B00000578-952_634x494.jpg

Attachments

• evdutu.jpg
    evdutu.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 225

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I was in the South Stand with a friend, right beside the Wolves supporters, and we were too busy belting it out to hear any jeers, if there were any. So were the people around me. Must admit, I got carried away and sang "going up..." by mistake, but I'll rectify that next time.

The lyrics were a genuine surprise to me and I think quite a few people. Next time, people will be ready for it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe that yesterday may have been the start of something special.

I can only think that I am missing the irony in some postings on here, as i can't believe people who are that precious or easily embarrassed could get to a football match without some kind of breakdown on the way.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Should get better and better with each home game as supporters get used to the lyrics and the fade out! Love it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I believe that yesterday may have been the start of something special.

I can only think that I am missing the irony in some postings on here, as i can't believe people who are that precious or easily embarrassed could get to a football match without some kind of breakdown on the way.

Much of the 'cringing' and 'embarrassment' talked of on this thread is very tongue in cheek.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Well done Sussaxon. I thought it went really well yesterday. Everybody was joining in around me and it can only get better.

Thanks. Good to hear! Yes, it's a working process, but yesterday was a very positive step forward. I think this will now out the "closet""stand or fallers" for Norwich!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here