Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And when it was over the Norwich fans stood and applauded and yes, I believe it was for us.
I find it hard to believe it was for us. Surely they were just clapping their team prior to the match starting?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Two points.

First, people who have been going for years know the words, Or at least their own version of the words.

Second, new supporters may not but they will soon learn. This is not Shakespearean sonnets or Greek prose here, they are relatively straight forward words to a very catch tune. Anyone interested in joining in the singing can do so pretty quickly after listening to other people.

If they want to sing they'll soon join in.

If they don't, the words on the screen aren't going to persuade them.

Do we feel the need to have the words of other songs on the big screen?

We're the right side, we're the right side............

Stand up if you hate Palace?

You're s**t, Ah!!!!!!

This is a football club, not the Salvation Army.

I haven't been to Anfield since we got stuffed a few years ago but I don't remember seeing the words of You¡ll Never Walk Alone on the big screen.

Sake!

I've heard a rumour that they are going to put up the words for other songs that we sing too, and again not the version that is traditionally sung by our fans but the original words to the original songs on which they are based and that have no real connection to the football clubs history:

So look out for the real words to Brighton aces (Blaydon races - Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin', We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin'; Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces, Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races),

We are Brighton (Sailing - I am sailing, I am sailing, home again 'cross the sea. I am sailing, stormy waters, to be near you, to be free)

And just about every other Brighton song ever (So hoist up the John B's sail, See how the main sail sets, Call for the Captain ashore, Let me go home, let me go home, I want to go home, let me go home, Why don't you let me go home, (Hoist up the John B's sail), Hoist up the John B, I feel so broke up I want to go home, Let me go home)

Should make for a hell of an atmosphere :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've heard a rumour that they are going to put up the words for other songs that we sing too, and again not the version that is traditionally sung by our fans but the original words to the original songs on which they are based and that have no real connection to the football clubs history:

So look out for the real words to Brighton aces (Blaydon races - Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin', We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin'; Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces, Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races),

We are Brighton (Sailing - I am sailing, I am sailing, home again 'cross the sea. I am sailing, stormy waters, to be near you, to be free)

And just about every other Brighton song ever (So hoist up the John B's sail, See how the main sail sets, Call for the Captain ashore, Let me go home, let me go home, I want to go home, let me go home, Why don't you let me go home, (Hoist up the John B's sail), Hoist up the John B, I feel so broke up I want to go home, Let me go home)

Should make for a hell of an atmosphere :thumbsup:
There is a reasonable case for not having the words up and continuing with the "derdergoinuptowinacup" arrangement that we currently have as the players walk out. That is your preference.

There is also a case for a new ritual of the whole ground singing SBTS and using the original "stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea" words. These words are rich in their history, meaningful for the vast majority of our fans, and have gained prominence during the years we have been at The Amex. That is my preference.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Total shambles tonight.

Are we going to have a different version for each game?

Going up to win the cup went up tonight. This just doesn't fit with the "proper" verse. Are they just trying to make the current shambolic singing of several different versions at once get even worse?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...There is also a case for a new ritual of the whole ground singing SBTS and using the original "stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea" words. These words are rich in their history, meaningful for the vast majority of our fans, and have gained prominence during the years we have been at The Amex. That is my preference.

WTF was that shambles this evening? I have been a passionate supporter of words on the screen... but what IDIOT thought it was a good idea to put that 'win the cup' nonsense up?

DOES BARBER JUST NOT GET IT? The important part is 'STAND OR FALL'... without that we might as well just clap along and der der in an embarrassingly pathetic way, until it dies out altogether.

:angry:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
erm, this is likely irrelevant to this thread, but does anyone remember that unusually coherent montage that appeared on the screen last season, or whenever the **** it was?

If they did that with this season's highlights it wouldn't seem disproportionately moving set to classical music

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasn't there but if they are going to leave out 'stand or fall' they might as well bin the whole thing now.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Abject bollocks. If you're going to put the 'crowd sung' words up (which you shouldn't), make it "going up and we'll win the cup". The club seems to be run by JC bloody Ls.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
WTF was that shambles this evening? I have been a passionate supporter of words on the screen... but what IDIOT thought it was a good idea to put that 'win the cup' nonsense up?

DOES BARBER JUST NOT GET IT? The important part is 'STAND OR FALL'... without that we might as well just clap along and der der in an embarrassingly pathetic way, until it dies out altogether.

:angry:

Agree with this. Stand or fall all the way.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I give up.

Doing "stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea" properly needed someone at the club first to get it and then second to persist with all of the obvious things needed to help make it work.

They don't want to do it or they are complete idiots not very good at working with the crowd, or both are true.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Surely with the club taking on board the importance of the song, we should be able to put the right words on the screen. Stand or Fall.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Why don't we go the whole hog and get some people at the bottom of each stand putting large cards up (like they do on live audience tv programmes) and telling the punters when to clap, sing and laugh.
Also could have an electronic message on the advertising boards letting us know when the food queues are low so we can optimize the time to stuff our faces.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Noticed the "And We're going up, and we'll win the Cup" last night. Shame!!! My work on this is done though, I've done my best, can't do anymore. If you want "Stand or Fall" I suggest you email Paul Barber, I'm not chasing this up anymore.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be fair I thought it worked better last night than it has done before. Certainly seemed like more people were signing it.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Love the words on the screen. For me I would rather have the real words than the "going up and win the cup" but I'll settle for it. Thought it worked really well yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here