Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think they saw sense and today proved it that you did not need words on the screen, it was sung really well, after music went off.

Going up to win the cup was sung. I didn't hear much else sung. I hope that they get the words back up for a few more weeks. Most people don't have lives that revolve around football and will only learn them at the game.

Last edited:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Going up to win the cup was sung. I didn't hear much else sung. I hope that the get the words back up for a few more screens. Most people don't have lives that revolve around football and will only learn them at the game.

Must admit that after a few beers I ended up singing that version out of habit. Would much prefer "stand or fall" line.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No wonder we lost, Bring Back The Words!

Two points.

First, people who have been going for years know the words, Or at least their own version of the words.

Second, new supporters may not but they will soon learn. This is not Shakespearean sonnets or Greek prose here, they are relatively straight forward words to a very catch tune. Anyone interested in joining in the singing can do so pretty quickly after listening to other people.

If they want to sing they'll soon join in.

If they don't, the words on the screen aren't going to persuade them.

Do we feel the need to have the words of other songs on the big screen?

We're the right side, we're the right side............

Stand up if you hate Palace?

You're s**t, Ah!!!!!!

This is a football club, not the Salvation Army.

I haven't been to Anfield since we got stuffed a few years ago but I don't remember seeing the words of You¡ll Never Walk Alone on the big screen.

Sake!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It would not have happened in GERMANY. The military version would have been adhered to and anyone daring to sing the traditional Albion version "Going up... etc" would have been sorted.

Maybe we should have the words put up for who we are meant to vote for in the general Election.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Just sent a quick email to Paul Barber, basically asking what happened on Friday. I hope that it was just an accident that the words were absent.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm in the 'no on screen lyrics' & 'up for the cup' brigade.
Pre Norwich I sang my heart out as usual but looked around the stadium. 99.5% of the home supporters were also giving it their all. West Upper, West Lower, South Corner, North Stand, East Lower & my lot in the East Upper. All stood clapping and singing. As one we sing 'going up for to win the cup' but does it matter. My Daughter, a ST holder, has no idea what SBTS is all about, but sings along with us. I thought that sing-a-long was the best for many a year. The music stops and we all get LOUDER. And when it was over the Norwich fans stood and applauded and yes, I believe it was for us.
Is there an on pitch video of the pre match singing?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whilst I was initially "anti", I did vote "yes" in the end as it was clear that so many fans were just too lazy to bother to learn the words.

And it did work...far heartier rendition of SBTS with the words on the screen.

It worked well, good feedback, positive response from fans..........so we stop it after just one game.

FFS Barber...get a f*&^ing grip.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Just heard back from Paul. It was due to a technical fault and the club intend to display the words until the end of the season. So it's as we were! Great News!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just sent a quick email to Paul Barber, basically asking what happened on Friday. I hope that it was just an accident that the words were absent.

It's been over 4 hours, hasn't he replied yet!!

edit Excellent !!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here