Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That said there are many 'mature' men like you who I bet said the same to Cardiff fans when their kit was turned red or to hull when they were going to be called the tigers. Thankfully some of us have some pride.

Sorry are you suggesting the club are trying to do something entirely against the tradition of the football club, isn't that exactly the opposite happening here, going right back to the tradition of the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That said there are many 'mature' men like you who I bet said the same to Cardiff fans when their kit was turned red or to hull when they were going to be called the tigers. Thankfully some of us have some pride.

I can guarantee there are no mature men like me! Besides, what has a colour of a kit, or a team name got to do with singing our anthem properly?

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Those are the EXACT words that were on display. What are you going on about?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Another embarrassed fan.

Having the words up....embarrassing.
Having the wrong words up....embarrassing.
Having supporters not realise the words are wrong....embarrassing
Having supporters come on here and stand behind the shambles....embarrassing.

And yet, no mention of being embarrassed about living in Reading....:moo:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

And take YOUR time from me
( it's marching time, not time on a clock)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Another embarrassed fan.

Having the words up....embarrassing.
Having the wrong words up....embarrassing.
Having supporters not realise the words are wrong....embarrassing
Having supporters come on here and stand behind the shambles....embarrassing.

image.jpg

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
And take YOUR time from me
( it's marching time, not time on a clock)

The poster I've got from the West Sussex Records Office with the original words, it says "Take THE time from me". I know it's not time of day, it means "Take the (marching) time from me", it still makes sense.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Before this gets any more confusing, ALL of the original words - taken from the first-ever published manuscript, dated 1907 - have been posted many times before. They appear in this NSC article, along with a short history of the song and William Ward-Higgs, its composer..

For the record, the words in the original manuscript consistently include the line "And take THE time from me" - obviously referring to the pace of the marching, for which purpose this "Military Marching Song" was composed.

One effect of having the words on the screen was to slow down the clapping and keep it in time with the tune.

I'm not fussed about people singing about going up and hoping to win a trophy while others sing the words to SBTS. The really important thing is that the first verse gets sung, rather than Der Der Der Der Der ...

And it did. At least in my bit of the North Stand.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
One effect of having the words on the screen was to slow down the clapping and keep it in time with the tune.

I'm not fussed about people singing about going up and hoping to win a trophy while others sing the words to SBTS. The really important thing is that the first verse gets sung, rather than Der Der Der Der Der ...

And it did. At least in my bit of the North Stand.

This. I listen to all the games on seagullsplayer and the number of fans singing the words and in time was a HUGE improvement compared to other home games. Those saying that it is embarrassing really need to get a life and find something a lot more important to get embarrassed about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here