Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did we sell Burn?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dan was a good squad player for us and he’ll be fine for NU until they start splashing the cash when he’ll almost certainly end up a squad player for them.

I like DB but this thread wouldn’t even have been a discussion point unless we had both Dunk and Webster unavailable and the rest of the team failed to turn up yesterday.

Anyone who thinks it would have resulted in anything different is delusional in my view…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players get banned/injured, yesterday a case in point and Burn’s an excellent CB. His availability to us yesterday would’ve allowed Potter to continue with Lamptey and Cucurella as wing backs bombing forward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's certainly been quite a story. When they bought him, many Saudi supporters thought they were buying Brighton's third or fourth CB as cover for Lascelles and co. Right up to kick off against Villa, many thought that he was only playing because Lascelles was injured (not that they had a very high opinion of Lascellles anyway, but that's neither here nor there).

Now it looks as if Smug could be in danger of a lynching if he drops BDB and brings back Lascelles. My favourite comment from them oop there was along the lines of, 'Fook me, if he's their third best CB, how good must the rest of Brighton's defence be?' Hopefullly they weren't watching us yesterday .....................................!

At the end of the day, whatever anybody says, we could have done with BDB against Burnley.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
People re-writing recent history a bit - Burn had been excellent at CB in last 5-6 games. He had help change our attacking so we got the ball forward quicker and he had finally seemed to have start making his height count in both boxes. Would this have lasted , who knows but arguably he was close to MOTM in several of the last 5 games . The way he was playing Dunk should not have got back in the team , yesterday we were left with the player that Dunk kept out of the team and it showed. To be fair to Duffy at the start of the season he played better than Dunk for first 10 games.

I am not saying the club have f*cked up because I guess they just needed the money and if so we have to sell him. If we were not desperate for the money then I can see no reason why we should sell. If people are saying that we will let our youth play , good, but we didn't yesterday.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's certainly been quite a story. When they bought him, many Saudi supporters thought they were buying Brighton's third or fourth CB as cover for lascelles and co. Right up to kick off against Villa, many thought that he was only playing because Lascelles was injured (not that they had a very high opinion of Lascellles anyway, but that's neither here nor there).

Now it looks as if Smug could be in danger of a lynching if he drops BDB and brings back Lascelles. My favourite comment from them oop there was along the lines of, 'Fook me, if he's their third best CB, how good must the rest of Brighton's defence be?' Hopefullly they weren't watching us yesterday .....................................!

Our 1st and 2nd best centre backs weren’t playing yesterday. That was the problem.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Burn left and we’ve lost three out of four, coincidence not a chance he was as safe as houses in the CB role. Never took any risks never really flapped good player we’ve lost for peanuts.

Whilst the losing 3 from 4 is factually correct, two of the games we lost were away to Spurs and Man Utd. We were desperately unlucky not to get at least a draw at Old Trafford so this stat is quite misleading. Dan Burn is a solid PL CB but always dropped at least one bollock per game that could lead to a goal. The fact that he never took risks also doesn't fit in to our philosophy of playing out from the back and being brave in possession.

We were shit all over the pitch against Burnley, let's not claim Burn is or was some sort of footballing god because he's not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst the losing 3 from 4 is factually correct, two of the games we lost were away to Spurs and Man Utd. We were desperately unlucky not to get at least a draw at Old Trafford so this stat is quite misleading. Dan Burn is a solid PL CB but always dropped at least one bollock per game that could lead to a goal. The fact that he never took risks also doesn't fit in to our philosophy of playing out from the back and being brave in possession.

We were shit all over the pitch against Burnley, let's not claim Burn is or was some sort of footballing god because he's not.

Burn was very good with the ball, so surprising for a CB that tall.

A totally different player from a no nonsense non risk taking CB such as Duffy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exactly - so we could have done with BDB yesterday!

Indeed.

Burn built a stunning partnership at the back with Veltman over December and January. They just clicked together. Webster and Dunk have mostly been injured or in poor form for the last couple of months, Burn would have needed some shifting from the team if he’d have stayed.

The important thing is to now replace BDB with a left footed centre back baller in the summer. Potter does not believe Roberts is ready yet, he probably wants the lad to get a season’s Championship battling under his belt, we might have to spend big again (think the Webster fee) to get the right man.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Indeed.

Burn built a stunning partnership at the back with Veltman over December and January. They just clicked together. Webster and Dunk have mostly been injured or in poor form for the last couple of months, Burn would have needed some shifting from the team if he’d have stayed.

The important thing is to now replace BDB with a left footed centre back baller in the summer. Potter does not believe Roberts is ready yet, he probably wants the lad to get a season’s Championship battling under his belt, we might have to spend big again (think the Webster fee) to get the right man.
Roberts, if not used soon, will want out.... he wont want a loan, he will want stability and recognition.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I don’t think anyone claimed he was a footballing god :shrug: most would agree we’ve lost a very good player though. Personally if he had stayed he wouldn’t/shouldn’t have been dropped to accommodate Dunk.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed.

Perhaps we'll need to look in the Championship for a LCB from one of the teams near the top end, maybe one that has been flirting with the play-offs. West Brom might want a huge Webster-size fee though .............................................. oh.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Indeed.

Burn and Veltman played together as a centre back partnership once. It was the loss against Wolves.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Burn and Veltman played together as a centre back partnership once. It was the loss against Wolves.

They also played together for the away draw at Chelsea as Webster was on the bench for that one with Dunk out injured.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Roberts, if not used soon, will want out.... he wont want a loan, he will want stability and recognition.
Roberts is still only 19 - plenty of time to develop his career with 2022-23 spent in the Championship. Hopefully he (and his dad) will realise that arguing against going out on loan and wanting to stay here and fight for a place might not be a good policy (see under Connolly A.)
Roberts is younger than all of our CBs who went out on loan to the Championship and SPL this season, and only a few months older than Turns and Tsoungui. Time really is on his side.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Worrying thing is amount Webster is out with injuries per season.

Whole shape of team looks worse with BDB out and his linking with Cucurella was very effective

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Thought we would be OK without Burn but yesterday we certainly weren't.

Potter clearly doesn't think Roberts is ready to fill in at CB which is a shame. We would have looked better with a back 5 which may have allowed Marc and Tariq to provide an out ball rather than sitting so deep yesterday.

To me, this is the key point.

If Roberts was ready to contribute significantly in the PL then I see the point in selling Burn.

I think we'll buy someone in the summer. I've a feeling Roberts, and Van Hecke, Ostigard, Clarke etc aren't going to play for us. If so, we'll do well to find someone as good as Burn for less than twice what we got for him. (Though I'm sure they will be younger)

Webby can't get fit for a run of games, Dunky get's suspensions every season and our best two players are wing backs who need to be further up the pitch than they were against Burnley. We need 5 CB's we're confident we can play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To me, this is the key point.

If Roberts was ready to contribute significantly in the PL then I see the point in selling Burn.

I think we'll buy someone in the summer. I've a feeling Roberts, and Van Hecke, Ostigard, Clarke etc aren't going to play for us. If so, we'll do well to find someone as good as Burn for less than twice what we got for him. (Though I'm sure they will be younger)

Webby can't get fit for a run of games, Dunky get's suspensions every season and our best two players are wing backs who need to be further up the pitch than they were against Burnley. We need 5 CB's we're confident we can play.

Van Hecke, Ostigard, Clarke are at the same level (at least) as Webster and Burn were when they joined us. With 20 or so youngsters out on loan, yes, some decisions are going to have to be made this summer, but to suggest we'll be binning off all the CBs we are developing in favour of spending £20M to replace BDB ......................

Funny - that's exactly the plan we haven't been working towards for the last few years.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Selling Burn was good and sensible. His value was probably at the highest it ever will be. I doubt Newcastle will get the player we had in the long term or make any profit out of him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But was still many peoples' Man of the Match, and according to some, the most important signing that Saudi United have made.

The fact that so many Geordies are over the moon about him, and absolutely hugging themselves that they got him so cheaply must say something, even to muppets who try to claim he wasn't much good anyway.

More important than Trippier? Not a chance. That's just Geordies wanting it to be true because he's one of their own.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've never suggested that he was Danco Burnesi. But the fact remains, by binning him off we lost an important versatile player, disrupted a fairly settled defence, and cut down on our options. That wasn't the be-all and end-all of us getting absolutely dry-humped by one of the worst and most impotent teams in the division yesterday. But with Dunk and Webster out, it WAS a factor.

We did the arabs a favour. We did burn a favour. We did ourselves no favours.

I agree to an extent. But we DID do ourselves a favour to the tune of £13m, which will be reinvested long term - probably in areas that are less well-stocked than centre-back. Sometimes the timing isn't perfect, that's just how it is but - as we're not going down - there's no getting away from the fact it was good business within the bigger picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here