Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did we sell Burn?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Not the point I’m making at all but happy for you to use it to suit your agenda. He was also awful against Arsenal last year and was the cause of their only goal when Saka turned him easily. There’s no doubt Burn was going through a great purple patch prior to us selling him and is a miss at the movement. He’s been a solid player for us and it’s a shame he’s gone but I’m not wetting the bed like some. Some are blathering like we’ve sold Maldini in his prime for peanuts.

Agenda? I couldn't stand Burn at times and would have paid to see the back of him before he improved and found his feet at CB.

I thought the fee wasn't too far off considering his age as you say but we were so inept at the back yesterday it has caused me to question the sale. Potter obviously doesn't trust Roberts enough to come in for a PL game so what are we left with? When Webster's groin flares up again or Dunky makes another questionable decision as last man?

CB now looks a concern to me, don't want to be limping in last part of the season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
CB now the number one priority in the summer. We need an outstanding, ball playing, left footed player with good leadership and experience. Might be a tricky find.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Could be that we just had an off day. Where we are at is that we are a bit inconsistent and still capable of getting out thought by more experienced premier League managers. We are also still capable of shooting ourselves in the foot like last week. We are also capable of pulling out some impressive performances and results against teams across the division.

In short we are currently a mid table team performing like a mistake team.

We continue to develop as a team and improve our performances. I am quite happy with that.

I don't think Dan Burn makes a huge difference to any of the above. He was a decent player and a right bargain but he wanted to go back to Newcastle, and who can blame him. If we want to bring in cheap and promising players to sell on then have to make sure there is a pathway out to other clubs.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Agenda? I couldn't stand Burn at times and would have paid to see the back of him before he improved and found his feet at CB.

I thought the fee wasn't too far off considering his age as you say but we were so inept at the back yesterday it has caused me to question the sale. Potter obviously doesn't trust Roberts enough to come in for a PL game so what are we left with? When Webster's groin flares up again or Dunky makes another questionable decision as last man?

CB now looks a concern to me, don't want to be limping in last part of the season.

Message boards are funny things. So generally, we are both in agreement with each other!

I doubt the club are too concerned about a short term blip following the sale of BDB. We are safe already and a few more wins over the season cements the mid table aim. The European tour was never going to happen but the planning for another season in the PL can commence from now. Yesterday was just poor all round and hopefully is just a one-off. I’m clinging onto four days previously we had battered ManU at OT and but for a lapse by Bissouma and controversial var intervention probably would have got a result and we absolutely dominated Watford last Saturday. Dunk is back next week and fingers crossed Webster is too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yesterday was just poor all round and hopefully is just a one-off. .

Few people have said this - but it was only 3 games ago vs Spurs that we had exactly the same thing

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Burnley did to us what we did to Man U in the first half on Tuesday - high press and did not let us settle on the ball. We couldn't cope. DB would have given us another option I suppose but it is not like we couldn't have played 3 at the back with the personnel available. I actually thought Burnley looked very good and we were caught out. It happens. Move on. DB has.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maybe we needed the money. With the £69m loss two seasons ago, god knows what the losses are going to be for last season. Possibly things are tighter than any of us know?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People have got awfully short memories. Lost count of the number of times BDB got flamed for less than stellar performances over the last season or two.

He’s going through a bit of a purple patch currently but has never been an automatic choice for us.

The idea of his saving us from an all round abysmal performance yesterday is laughable. Burnley were better than us from the off in every position…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and No. football is all about purple patches. What you don’t want to do is sell a player having one and replace with ones who aren’t. Club appear to have got wrong looking at recent results. Definitely weaker coming out of transfer window than going into. It was Burnley we played and lost 3 nil to yday. At home.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
From a footballing perspective, i do think it was a mistake. A squad without Burn yesterday reduced to "nil" any genuine opportunity to change shape, given that Roberts is clearly not fancied. Losing a player that has started almost every single game, in a number of different positions cannot be construed as anything else but weakening the side. Clearly not a decision made for football reasons, and yesterday, but also the Spurs game for me, highlighted the limitations we now have to cope with.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People have got awfully short memories. Lost count of the number of times BDB got flamed for less than stellar performances over the last season or two.

He’s going through a bit of a purple patch currently but has never been an automatic choice for us.
All his flamings occurred when he was filling in as a LWB - it's only really this season that he's got to play in his natural position as a CB.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
More concerned with us selling Ben White. First choice CBs (Dunk, Duffy and to a lesser extent Webster) not getting any younger. OK it's a given that we can't score for toffee. But if we can't defend either... Major CB upgrade required sometime soon. And hard to envisage that major upgrade being fulfilled by academy products anytime in the near future

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More concerned with us selling Ben White. First choice CBs (Dunk, Duffy and to a lesser extent Webster) not getting any younger. OK it's a given that we can't score for toffee. But if we can't defend either... Major CB upgrade required sometime soon. And hard to envisage that major upgrade being fulfilled by academy products anytime in the near future

Two of them regular first team choices at the top end of the Championship (about the level of Burn and Webster prior to them joining the Albion). Yep, the cupboard must be absolutely bare.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Two of them regular first team choices at the top end of the Championship (about the level of Burn and Webster prior to them joining the Albion). Yep, the cupboard must be absolutely bare.

Looking forward to Van Hecke in the first team squad next year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just looked it up - Dan Burn only started 2 games for us this season before Dunks injury. At the point of Dunks injury we were 9th in the league. So we managed without him before no reason we cannot manage without him now.
Exception of course is without Webster & Dunk…

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Just looked it up - Dan Burn only started 2 games for us this season before Dunks injury. At the point of Dunks injury we were 9th in the league. So we managed without him before no reason we cannot manage without him now.
Exception of course is without Webster & Dunk…

Didn’t he have a knee ligament problem earlier in the season though. Seem to remember him falling heavily against Leicester or Everton.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So the originator of this thread has come up with the basic equation that yesterdays debacle is all down to us selling Dan Burn:ffsparr:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Didn’t he have a knee ligament problem earlier in the season though. Seem to remember him falling heavily against Leicester or Everton.

He missed the first 4 games with an injury of some sort and was unused sub in the 5th (Leicester at home). First game was Palace away when he was subbed off at half time. Safe to say we were more than fine without him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Few people have said this - but it was only 3 games ago vs Spurs that we had exactly the same thing
Not to mention gift wrapping 3 points for Manchester United.

All too busy patting themselves on the back and planning trips to Europe, on the back of beating...

...Watford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here