[Albion] Why did we sell Burn?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So the originator of this thread has come up with the basic equation that yesterdays debacle is all down to us selling Dan Burn:ffsparr:

No, not all down to him. Where the hell did I say that? Idiot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poor decision. Poor price.

Said it at the time, and yesterday did nothing to change my mind.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And before the "Burn would have made no difference yesterday" brigade start pounding my arse, its likely he wouldn't. As a collective, we were piss poor.

But we've largely settled into a comfortable shape of 3 at the back. Because BDB was flogged off to the hand-choppers though, we lost that option yesterday. That resulted in (IMO) the LEAST effective performances from Lamptey and Cucurella I've seen all season. At no point did we look settled, the shape was wrong, so we ended up getting proper Burnleyed.

It is what it is though, as GP would say.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poor timing.

Let him join his beloved Mags in the summer, if it’s still a do-er.

We were going along nicely, coping despite of Dunk’s injury/recovery time required.

Very irritating and depressing that we've so readily taken the saudi scum dollar to help them out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Poor timing.

We were going along nicely, coping despite of Dunk’s injury/recovery time required.

This. We were rolling very nicely. Sure, we couldn't control losing Dunk and Webster at the same time, but we COULD have controlled when we lost BDB. Big shame.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And before the "Burn would have made no difference yesterday" brigade start pounding my arse, its likely he wouldn't. As a collective, we were piss poor.

But we've largely settled into a comfortable shape of 3 at the back. Because BDB was flogged off to the hand-choppers though, we lost that option yesterday. That resulted in (IMO) the LEAST effective performances from Lamptey and Cucurella I've seen all season. At no point did we look settled, the shape was wrong, so we ended up getting proper Burnleyed.

It is what it is though, as GP would say.

He didn't make much difference yesterday when he was watching Dawson score for West Ham. Just unfortunate that we've got 3 very rusty centre-backs right now, but that won't be an issue for long. BDB seems to have turned into Paolo Maldini in some fans' heads now that he's gone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So the originator of this thread has come up with the basic equation that yesterdays debacle is all down to us selling Dan Burn:ffsparr:

I wouldn't wish to be uncharatable to the OP, who is a stalwart supporter of enormous longstanding.....but....this.

Looking forward to the 'we shouldn't of sold Knockaert' thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He didn't make much difference yesterday when he was watching Dawson score for West Ham. Just unfortunate that we've got 3 very rusty centre-backs right now, but that won't be an issue for long. BDB seems to have turned into Paolo Maldini in some fans' heads now that he's gone.

I've never suggested that he was Danco Burnesi. But the fact remains, by binning him off we lost an important versatile player, disrupted a fairly settled defence, and cut down on our options. That wasn't the be-all and end-all of us getting absolutely dry-humped by one of the worst and most impotent teams in the division yesterday. But with Dunk and Webster out, it WAS a factor.

We did the arabs a favour. We did burn a favour. We did ourselves no favours.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even if we should not have sold BDB, what of it? Sack the board? :shrug:

We know nothing about these things.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Poor timing.

We wouldn't have got 13m in the summer. We'd have probably covered the initial fee we paid Wigan, but not much more.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But was still many peoples' Man of the Match, and according to some, the most important signing that Saudi United have made.

The fact that so many Geordies are over the moon about him, and absolutely hugging themselves that they got him so cheaply must say something, even to muppets who try to claim he wasn't much good anyway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But was still many peoples' Man of the Match, and according to some, the most important signing that Saudi United have made.

The fact that so many Geordies are over the moon about him, and absolutely hugging themselves that they got him so cheaply must say something, even to muppets who try to claim he wasn't much good anyway.

The bar for CBs at Newcastle was so low anyone half decent would be an improvement. The fact he’s a Geordie means he gets a lot of credit. Virtually no one on Twitter that is a Newcastle fan has mentioned how he was at fault for Dawson goal - which shows you the levels of delusion.

But actually based on stats it looks like he had a good game - apart from that. If it was Lascelles they’d probably have lost 3 or 4 - 1

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

The BT Sport studio team deemed him the best player on the pitch.

So Dawson scored, which defender ever hasn’t been at fault for a goal? Then Burn was magnificent against a cocky West Ham team who thought they’d stroll into fourth place.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing

Dan was a good squad player for us and he’ll be fine for NU until they start splashing the cash when he’ll almost certainly end up a squad player for them.

I like DB but this thread wouldn’t even have been a discussion point unless we had both Dunk and Webster unavailable and the rest of the team failed to turn up yesterday.

Anyone who thinks it would have resulted in anything different is delusional in my view…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So the timing of your post is pure coincidence? Oh and as an aside the key to intelligent debate is not name calling!

I refer you to Easy10's post above. I don't know if the result would've been any different but we were unable to play our usual system without him and it showed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports