Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did we sell Burn?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Obvious question, but it's clear without Dunk and Webster, we really needed the big man today.

Bloom can't have it both ways. He wants us to be a Top 10 Premier League side, yet the only significant dealing we did in January was to weaken the squad, selling a very decent player for a knock-down price to a club swimming in money - just when we had the chance of a Top 10 finish.

I would never criticise TB, but this was the wrong decision.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Once they made a reasonable offer the fact he probably wanted to go made it inevitable.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It does worry me how injury prone Webster is, however there was no point in trying to keep a player whose head had been turned. I think we should have looked to bring in an experienced Dawson/Evans type player as cover in the window.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It does worry me how injury prone Webster is, however there was no point in trying to keep a player whose head had been turned. I think we should have looked to bring in an experienced Dawson/Evans type player as cover in the window.

Had he been 'turned' though? 'Sources' say he was happy to leave, but equally happy to stay. Guess we'll never know, but it would be good to hear that the club tried everything they could to persuade him to stay.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think there were probably a number of points they considered in selling BDB: we are probably already safe this season; it was a good fee for a player of his age and ability; we have lots of good young replacement defenders coming through; they didn’t know that Dunk and Webster would be unavailable at the same time. If BDB had played today I’m not sure the result would have been much different.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who knows ?

He's been a good guy and probably just asked for the move ?

Sometime we have to do right by people.

It's not exactly like he asked to move to Putin(Abramovich) FC.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Because we are solely reliant one one man who understandably can't turn down £13m for a 29 year old after a season and a bit behind closed doors.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Because we are solely reliant one one man who understandably can't turn down £13m for a 29 year old after a season and a bit behind closed doors.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

This. 13 million for a 29 year old 3rd or 4th choice CB when we are already safe would have been daft. Particularly with it likely one of the loan players will have pushed him further down the pecking order next year.

We have just had a ridiculous year for CB injuries. Without that he likely wouldn’t have played much this year.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Because he's a Geordie, a Newcastle fan and once he knew they were interested I'd imagine he wanted to go. Often it's about the money, but in this case I actually think that despite them probably doubling his wages, it's not come down to wages.
I doubt we are the sort of club to want to hold a player to ranson and if he told the boars he was open to the interest I expect Bloom decided if he could get a good fee, then he could go.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that he's gone, but I actually think the club have probably done the right and honourable thing here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Burn left and we’ve lost three out of four, coincidence not a chance he was as safe as houses in the CB role. Never took any risks never really flapped good player we’ve lost for peanuts.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Burn left and we’ve lost three out of four, coincidence not a chance he was as safe as houses in the CB role. Never took any risks never really flapped good player we’ve lost for peanuts.

This. He was not a 3rd or 4th choice as the way he was playing he was our number 1 choice. If the club need £13million then so be it but at the moment we are looking poor at the back...note when you play 3 at the back you need 4 or 5 very good CBs not 2 or 3...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because we gt a reasoable price* and he was keen to go to his boyhood home town club for a final big pay day.

*I thought (and said) at the time we let him go at a knock down price (and Newcastle supporters think so too) but the club considered it a reasonable price. :shrug:
It cost us yesterday though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Obvious question, but it's clear without Dunk and Webster, we really needed the big man today.

Bloom can't have it both ways. He wants us to be a Top 10 Premier League side, yet the only significant dealing we did in January was to weaken the squad, selling a very decent player for a knock-down price to a club swimming in money - just when we had the chance of a Top 10 finish.

I would never criticise TB, but this was the wrong decision.

He wants long term top 10, not a one off. I can only assume that while they knew we would be stronger for the rest of this season with him, longer term they reckoned he was unlikely to be a consistent starter and the money and his desire to go was enough to get the move through.

So maybe we suffer one bad result without both Dunk and Webster, and maybe we wouldn't have lost with Burn. In the great scheme of things does it really matter? Our trajectory doesn't change. Next season we'll have some or all of van Hecke and Clarke and Roberts and Tsoungui and Offiah and Ostigard and Turns pushing to come through. That's the development of us into a long term top 10 side that the moving on of Dan Burn may benefit us in the final analysis.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Thought we would be OK without Burn but yesterday we certainly weren't.

Potter clearly doesn't think Roberts is ready to fill in at CB which is a shame. We would have looked better with a back 5 which may have allowed Marc and Tariq to provide an out ball rather than sitting so deep yesterday.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
People have got awfully short memories. Lost count of the number of times BDB got flamed for less than stellar performances over the last season or two.

He’s going through a bit of a purple patch currently but has never been an automatic choice for us.

The idea of his saving us from an all round abysmal performance yesterday is laughable. Burnley were better than us from the off in every position…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This. He was not a 3rd or 4th choice as the way he was playing he was our number 1 choice. If the club need £13million then so be it but at the moment we are looking poor at the back...note when you play 3 at the back you need 4 or 5 very good CBs not 2 or 3...
The club have spent over £40m on prospects doubt £13m was needed to keep the lights on. I agree with you rather Burn than Dunk on those seasons form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here