Which unknown Support Act did you see who later went on to become famous

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Susi Quatro (and Thin Lizzy but they were semi-famous) supporting Slade. 1971 ish
Lynyrd Skynyrd supporting Golden Earring.1974ish
Dire Straits supporting I can't remember who 1977

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
September 1997 Earls Court
Oasis being supported by the brilliant, The Verve.
Shame they're not together anymore, but Richard Ashcroft still amazing.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Being connected to the small but wonderful Forum in Tunbridge Wells, I have seen bleeding thousands of bands over the years. We turned down Keane (before they became Keane) turned away The Kaiser Chiefs from a full bill, "sorry lads, we know you've come a long way, but there has been some sort of confusion", we also had Oasis support Whiteout and probably the biggest, Adele on an early Sunday evening supporting Jamie T (I think).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Muse supported by Coldplay at Portsmouth pyramids about a tenner for a ticket. Coldplay had just released parachutes and muse showbiz so neither were particularly known at the time

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I was at that Tom Petty/Nils Lofgren gig mentioned earlier. Also saw Blondie supporting Television about a year later. I've seen The Stranglers support Patti Smith ... twice

Not quite the same but I once went to a gig where more than half the audience left after the support act but for the life of me I can't remember either act. That's what old age does ...

I thought I had replied to your post earlier today but it seems to have disappeared :ohmy:

Went to a Nazareth concert in the seventies when they were famous:) down the dome.

When they came on loads of people buggered off:ohmy:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Starship and Survivour at Glastonbury. Approximately 1982. Survivour was the first act and they weren't using their Tiger eyes back then.

Starship were originally Jefferson Airplane and were big in the sixties so were famous decades before 1982 :smile:

I was a massive Grace Slick fan in the late sixties

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Susi Quatro (and Thin Lizzy but they were semi-famous) supporting Slade. 1971 ish
Lynyrd Skynyrd supporting Golden Earring.1974ish
Dire Straits supporting I can't remember who 1977

Skynyrd & Golden Earing I remember.
Saw Skynyrd again just before the plane crash

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Blur opened on the Rollercoaster show at the Brighton Centre in 1992. They were followed by Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Although a joint your little doubt who ended up the biggest of the four. And yes we missed them because we went to the bar!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Rollercoaster_Tour_poster.jpg

Blur didn't open. I turned up late because I didn't care about seeing them and was gutted to hear Dinosaur Jr half way through playing Freakscene. I then watched Damon Albarn make an idiot of himself jumping all over the amps in an attempt to try to out rock and roll MBV and JMC. I thought that would be the last of them and that it was a shame as I had quite liked 'There's No Other Way.' I was quite surprised when they then found their direction and made it big.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Skynyrd & Golden Earing I remember.
Saw Skynyrd again just before the plane crash

I was there for the first gig. Like many I walked out during Golden Earache. What an embarrassing shower - and headlining!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wow! I'll bet that first one was a good night?

Superb mate. It was also my first ever concert. We were right up by the speakers. Couldn't hear properly for a few days at school after that,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw Theatre of Hate at Grand Parade Art College, think it was called The Basement, not sure how many times they played there but it must of been around 1982, they changed the bands name to Spear of Destiny in 83.
Can't remember anything about the support act, but one thing I do remember is seeing someone hanging about that stood out because of their clothing, myself and a friend wasn't sure if this someone was male or female.
This someone became very famous as it was Boy George.

He was shagging Kirk Brandon at the time . . . .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I saw Manfred Mann's earth band in the early 1970's at the Oxford Poly. Manfred Mann was well known but the Earth band was not as this was very early in their life. They were supporting Focus.

The earth band was very good. Focus were boring and formulaic, not helped by the fact that one of their speaker stacks blew up early on in the set.

Before many people on here were born, I surmise..

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My wife's just dismissively informed me that the only support act she can remember was someone called Steve Hillage supporting Queen at their Hyde Park free festival in 1976, but as far as she was aware he didn't amount to much.I informed her that I saw Steve Hillage (as it turned out just 3 months later) headlining at The Dome on his "L" album tour.
I had only myself discovered who he was about a fortnight before when I saw him on the Old Grey Whistle Test wearing his bobble hat with christmas bauble pom pom. Apparently he was later quite active in the 90s Dance scene and was influential in establishing the first Dance tent at Glastonbury. Seems he's had quite a diverse career from his early days in Gong, he's also played with such disparate acts as Mike Oldfield, Sham 69, William Shatner and also produced Simple Minds and The Charlatans.

The forthcoming Steve Hillage Searching for the spark 1969 - 1991 includes 3 previously unreleased concert recordings one of which is the Dome from November 1977.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports