Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which unknown Support Act did you see who later went on to become famous

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At that time there were a few youngish teddy boys from mid Sussex area they went to a venue in Portslade so you would have the joy of sharing the last train home from Brighton with them:eek:

I lived in Portslade at the time and me and my mate Nils had to run the gauntlet of these gits when we got back from the Basement, Resources Centre or Alhambra, as they were going in the opposite direction. At one point Nils had a pair of hobnail boots with metal coming through the soles, and I had a pair of antique cricket shoes in a similar state of disrepair. We always legged it at the first sign of trouble, we haveing a combined bodyweight at the time of around 14 stone (my how things have changed). It was probably not the best move when wearing footware that turned into lethally slippery nightmares at the first sight of shiney pavement and at the first hint of exertion. You can guess the rest :wozza::facepalm::lolol:

Well almost . . . for some reason, the crazed oafs turned back to the station after the pair of us had slithered into near motionlessness. Perhaps they thought it was an ambush. Lucky escape, given that if either of us had made an attempt to swing a punch we were more likely to whack each other than the Brill Creamed popinjays.

Apparently legend has it John Lydon spent an evening in that pub in Portslade in 76, in full drapes and crepes, emerging unscathed (this was before he was famous).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The forthcoming Steve Hillage Searching for the spark 1969 - 1991 includes 3 previously unreleased concert recordings one of which is the Dome from November 1977.

MMmmmm . . . I was at that gig. At the end he sort of hanged around on stage, twiddling with things, and members of the audience popped down for a chat. I disapproved of this immensely, and refused to ever see a hippy act again :lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I saw Manfred Mann's earth band in the early 1970's at the Oxford Poly. Manfred Mann was well known but the Earth band was not as this was very early in their life. They were supporting Focus.

The earth band was very good. Focus were boring and formulaic, not helped by the fact that one of their speaker stacks blew up early on in the set.

Before many people on here were born, I surmise..

Being an old fart and losing my marbles :mad: I'm sure I saw Focus down the Dome.
I used to sit up in the gods in them days & the smell of 'herbal medicine' wafting up from the cheap seats put me in a serene state:smokin:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw the Slits supporting the Buzzcocks at the Top Rank in 1978 and they are now viewed as playing an extremely significant role in breaking down barriers for women in music. I am not sure that I was really ready for their anarchic (maybe chaotic?) performance; I think I would appreciate it much more now. I briefly met Viv Albertine when she did a talk/Q&A where I work last month and she was charming but her talk showed how articulate she is and her robust views on things. Her autobiography is highly recommended.

Gave the autobiog to Mrs T for her birthday. Went down very well. Nice to see Viv and Mick Jones friends again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely THIS Enrest. A dozen pages, everybody's got an apparently photographic memory for unknown-at-the-time support acts, and not one person, so far as I can see, admitting to going to the bar when the support act was on. Bunch of amateurs :moo:

I arrived late to see Caravan about ten years ago (I was in a bar), and found out I'd missed Kevin Ayers, who was supporting. I was completely gutted. Does that count? :wave:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Being an old fart and losing my marbles :mad: I'm sure I saw Focus down the Dome.
I used to sit up in the gods in them days & the smell of 'herbal medicine' wafting up from the cheap seats put me in a serene state:smokin:

I actually quite liked Focus. A bit jazzy and with a flautist. But the performance was lacklustre and they might just as well have put the record on.

Not surprised at the herbal medicine bit, so I'm sure you've still got all your marbles.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
MMmmmm . . . I was at that gig. At the end he sort of hanged around on stage, twiddling with things, and members of the audience popped down for a chat. I disapproved of this immensely, and refused to ever see a hippy act again :lolol:

Guilty as charged! I saw Steve Hillage a year earlier at the Dome in December 1976. At the end I was one of many who got on the stage and shook his hand! I was only fourteen at the time so such sycophantic transgressions of behaviour could be forgiven.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What was that you said earlier about refusing to ever see a hippy act again???

Not hippies. Pye Hastings is a businessman. Not a very good one, it has to be said :lolol:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
At the Dome? I was there.

Remember seeing Big Country open for Alice Cooper at the Centre a year or two earlier.

Reading Hexagon for me.
For such a partisan crowd James landed very well.
I was smitten but they lost me with Goldmother or whatever it was called.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I saw Steve many times including one night at the Top Rank where for whatever reason he didn't come on stage until about midnight. Given the amount of spliffs being smoked I think everyone there was high regardless of whether they were indulging or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was at Reading in 1991 when the Friday programme began:-

The Honey Thieves
Babes in Toyland
Silverfish
NIRVANA
Chapterhouse
Dinosaur Jnr

and so on.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Feb. 1976 : Graham Parker & the Rumour at Sussex Uni. (Falmer) They were support act to Kokomo.

Yes, you're right.....but now I think more about it, Southside Johnny was the support act for Graham Parker & The Rumour at the Dome around the same time.

Your right I went to that concert it was March 1977.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here