Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When will we get season ticket refunds?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Fully appreciate that. For me it's only 1 ticket and probably just under £200. For me (and I stress for me) if it meant helping the club get through this period of financial insecurity I don't mind with regards this season's last 5 games. Next season would clearly be a different matter, unless a reduced price season ticket was offered for a streaming service.

I don’t pay season ticket for streaming on the TV I pay to go and watch the game at the stadium.
I have a Firestick to stream matches.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think the crux of all this is that the refunds would make a lot more difference personally to us fans than it would staying in the club coffers. This is without getting fixated on player wages, it's just a practical assessment.

I'm a 'two ST household' - and giving up two match tickets to watch a stream from an empty stadium wouldn't work for me, either.

As mentioned previously, I too pay for the Matchday experience, which I absolutely love - and anything less than that I'd expect to watch as part of my 'package' as I pay my BBC TV licence and Sky Sports for that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it? The game has been cancelled for the date advertised but they are unprepared to offer a refund. They come up with a mealy mouthed attempt to say its out of their hands when they know damn well it’s not going to be played in front of a crowd. If this was Ryanair’s response to a request for a refund for a cancellation for the date advertised people would be all over it.

Disagree. Game has been postponed at the moment, not cancelled, and arrangements for rescheduling aren't known yet (could be in 12 months time in front of a crowd for all we know) - hence no decision made on refunds/vouchers/replacement stream vouchers or whatever. Until the club know what's happening I can't see how they can act, either in terms of this game or STs (and they also can't act in isolation - suspect there will be a PL edict on what clubs do - at least within guidelines). Criticising the club at this point in time for something that is currently outside of their control is unfair IMO.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Really, I suspect it is merely that nothing yet is confirmed. Simple as that. I'd like my money back but understand it won't happen until the league is either abandoned or the games agreed to be played behind closed doors either at the correct or neutral stadia.

Think we're saying the same thing.

Club have insurance against such occurrences

Insurance company won't pay out until default has occurred

Default can't occur until league decide policy

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm pretty sure that at the point where any remaining games are cancelled instead of just postponed, then the club will do the decent thing by its fans. Post-Archer, when have they not been known to do so? Give them a bit of credit. Sake!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Disagree. Game has been postponed at the moment, not cancelled, and arrangements for rescheduling aren't known yet (could be in 12 months time in front of a crowd for all we know) - hence no decision made on refunds/vouchers/replacement stream vouchers or whatever. Until the club know what's happening I can't see how they can act, either in terms of this game or STs (and they also can't act in isolation - suspect there will be a PL edict on what clubs do - at least within guidelines). Criticising the club at this point in time for something that is currently outside of their control is unfair IMO.

This.

I'm pretty sure that at the point where any remaining games are cancelled instead of just postponed, then the club will do the decent thing by its fans. Post-Archer, when have they not been known to do so? Give them a bit of credit. Sake!

And that.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Fair enough, I just find it very strange that people are so ready to accept this situation, but other organisations such as concert venues are ready to offer the option of refunds for events that have not happened. I don’t see why BHA should be given a free pass when other entertainment organisations don’t get the same leeway.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Fair enough, I just find it very strange that people are so ready to accept this situation, but other organisations such as concert venues are ready to offer the option of refunds for events that have not happened. I don’t see why BHA should be given a free pass when other entertainment organisations don’t get the same leeway.

Slightly different isn’t it? You have signed up to watch every home game for a season with no idea when games will be played, as opposed to buying tickets for a specific show on a specific date.

Once the games are officially either cancelled or confirmed to be played behind closed doors I’m sure you will get a pro rata refund. Currently neither of those things have happened.

Incidentally I have tickets to see Gun n Roses in London at the end of this month and I have heard nothing about it’s cancellation or rescheduling. In fact amazingly Ticketmaster were still selling tickets when I checked last week.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would not agree to it. My season ticket is for the match day experience, not watching on tv. Any rebate to clubs for broadcasting rights would have to be organized by wealthy corporation, Sky. The point about multiple season ticket households is a good one as well (we are one of those).
I understand your willingness to keep paying for the good of the club and there was a time (Gillingham/Withdean times) when I would have felt the same. Not now though, not with such huge revenues being funneled directly into players bank accounts. I am no longer working or earning and I will not use my limited resources to subsidize corporate and personal greed.

Nail on the head. I suspect that is how most fans feel. We are a long way away from the days of the forty note fund which barely collected enough to pay a weeks wages of one player now.

The reality is that the only way clubs will get through this is if the telly companies chip in even more money - they may after all be getting larger audiences if no fans are attending, or if they cut players wages. The obvious solution is the latter, but will they do it? There will always billionaires somewhere willing to spunk huge money to get the best players, so can't see it happening.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would not agree to it. My season ticket is for the match day experience, not watching on tv. Any rebate to clubs for broadcasting rights would have to be organized by wealthy corporation, Sky. The point about multiple season ticket households is a good one as well (we are one of those).
I understand your willingness to keep paying for the good of the club and there was a time (Gillingham/Withdean times) when I would have felt the same. Not now though, not with such huge revenues being funneled directly into players bank accounts. I am no longer working or earning and I will not use my limited resources to subsidize corporate and personal greed.

Good post.

I’ll play it by ear. We have two s/t’s in this household, I think it might be unfair for the club to require both to be paid in full for behind closed doors football for 2020/21 (as consideration for pay for view football).

I can envisage their marketing ideas already:
1. That £1,000 gets you 44 Championship games or 38 PL games on TV = £low cost per game.
2. Subscribe and keep your specific (pre-covid19) seats, when the Amex does reopen in a year or two’s time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think we're saying the same thing.

Club have insurance against such occurrences

Insurance company won't pay out until default has occurred

Default can't occur until league decide policy

In insurance industry, business and regulator chat online, the consensus is that insurance companies will not be paying out for covid19 related claims. Business interruption or consequential loss. As an unforeseen force majeure.

This does explain the focus of the PL to play all 2019/20 and 2020/21 football.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Slightly different isn’t it? You have signed up to watch every home game for a season with no idea when games will be played, as opposed to buying tickets for a specific show on a specific date.

Once the games are officially either cancelled or confirmed to be played behind closed doors I’m sure you will get a pro rata refund. Currently neither of those things have happened.

Incidentally I have tickets to see Gun n Roses in London at the end of this month and I have heard nothing about it’s cancellation or rescheduling. In fact amazingly Ticketmaster were still selling tickets when I checked last week.

My comments were aimed at a single event, Norwich away. I agree with you on the season ticket scenario, which the club have outlined their position on. No surprise about Ticketmaster, hope it’s sorted

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In insurance industry, business and regulator chat online, the consensus is that insurance companies will not be paying out for covid19 related claims. Business interruption or consequential loss. As an unforeseen force majeure.

But there were reports that Wimbledon had insurance in place for such events.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Whether the insurance policies cover Covid or not, will not change clubs obligations to refund supporters who are legally prevented from using their tickets. Insurance is a bit of red herring.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But there were reports that Wimbledon had insurance in place for such events.

Yep, I heard that too, a £114m payout.

Whilst the RFU will lose £107m from no 2020/21 Twickers matches, according to them.

Being a single annual event, without which the All England Lawn Tennis Club might’ve had a serious blow, I assume they got organised on a belt and braces policy.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whether the insurance policies cover Covid or not, will not change clubs obligations to refund supporters who are legally prevented from using their tickets. Insurance is a bit of red herring.

Not saying it changes the obligation but IF they were covered they'd have to wait until the insurance company were satisfied the ticket could not be used in some way and IF the club did pay out earlier it may make any insurance payout invalid.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My comments were aimed at a single event, Norwich away. I agree with you on the season ticket scenario, which the club have outlined their position on. No surprise about Ticketmaster, hope it’s sorted

GnR finally cancelled today. No news on refund though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here