Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will we complete our first signing of the summer?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's becuase I'm eating breakfast and NSC is an entertaining read. I often peruse and post when I've got a spare 20 mins; it doesn't mean I log on expecting us to have signed 5 new players at this time of year though.

Thing is, such gormless, repetitive, sycophantic little bores like yourself wouldn't even admit it when we'd plainly ballsed up before - grandly informing us all to be patient. Well thanks for that. And also thanks for more of this cut and paste drivel designed to shut up honest expressions of legitimate concerns about our standards on the pitch having PLUMMETED since the - very recent - days of the terrific squad listed by Spanish Flair above. No really: they're just as much enjoyed and appreciated this year as they were this time last year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the end of next week there will be 2, no inside knowledge just a hunch.
So specifically as per the thread 2/6/15 at 11am! [emoji3]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Given in 2012/13 we bought 7 of the 8 additions to squad after end of June and 3 regulars at end of August , and we had quite a good season were we too slow then ? Or did we just bide our time waiting for our preferred targets at the right price or when they became available?

Would our season really have better last year if we had made More of our signings earlier and in June/July rather than August ? Maybe but probably only marginal effect. Surely we picked the wrong players, the newish manager, their form , the existing (weaker than previous seasons) squad far more important as opposed to the date they were signed.

Just my opinion, but...

I genuinely believe that it makes a far bigger difference than you seem to believe when you have the bulk of the squad in place early enough for them to work together (to 'gel') in pre-season. Of course, quality is vital, but our sluggish recruitment last season actually had a negative impact on quality, not positive, as you seem to believe: the club just ends up picking up the dregs having missed out on their primary targets, and not switching targets soon enough.

Oh, and you really need to stop using the season example (2012/13) you are using - as someone has already pointed out, the lickers have already been 'owned' by Spanish Flair on that one.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thing is, such gormless, repetitive, sycophantic little bores like yourself wouldn't even admit it when we'd plainly ballsed up before - grandly informing us all to be patient. Well thanks for that. And also thanks for more of this cut and paste drivel designed to shut up honest expressions of legitimate concerns about our standards on the pitch having PLUMMETED since the - very recent - days of the terrific squad listed by Spanish Flair above. No really: they're just as much enjoyed and appreciated this year as they were this time last year.

100% agreed. It is astounding, after last close season, that the lickers are arrogant enough to keep coming on here to tell us to be patient. They were wrong last summer, and they remain wrong.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just my opinion, but...

I genuinely believe that it makes a far bigger difference than you seem to believe ...the club just ends up picking up the dregs having missed out on their primary targets, and not switching targets soon enough.

Were Orlandi, Hammond and Spanish Dave "dregs" ?

Or Vicente (signed on sept 3rd)

I will give you Ryan Harley (August) :)

Kemy arrived in time for pre season in 13/14. Was that a good signing ?

August signings/transfers Holla, COG, McCourt, Gardner, Hughes, Baldock, stockdale didn't deliver in 2014/15

If the dates of their signing really would make "a far bigger difference" then you'd presumably believe that this group of players should have triumphed last year if we'd signed them all in time to play Lewes at the Dripping pan in mid July.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

August signings/transfers Holla, COG, McCourt, Gardner, Hughes, Baldock, stockdale didn't deliver in 2014/15

If the dates of their signing really would make "a far bigger difference" then you'd presumably believe that this group of players should have triumphed last year if we'd signed them all in time to play Lewes at the Dripping pan in mid July.

Are you Blatters PR man too ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Did you quote the correct post here, or are you that easy to wind up? It's a bunch of blokes playing football.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

To repeat, logic says if you have the bulk (not all) of your squad before the pre-season match programme starts, then the players will have a good chance to 'gell'. Further, we definitely left recruitment too late last season, meaning we got the dregs (just look at your list!).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Did you quote the correct post here, or are you that easy to wind up? It's a bunch of blokes playing football.

Brilliant comeback. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To repeat, logic says if you have the bulk (not all) of your squad before the pre-season match programme starts, then the players will have a good chance to 'gell'. Further, we definitely left recruitment too late last season, meaning we got the dregs (just look at your list!).

Cause or correlation :)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The bedwetters were 100% correct last season. The lickers will be telling us to wai until the first friendly, wait until the Amex friendly, wait until the start of the season, wait until the end of the summer transfer window, wait until the loan window opens, wait until the January window opens. Meanwhile, we'll be near the bottom of the table.

EXACTLY !! The lickers have absoulutely no sense of reality at all (proven every single season )
They have no knowledge of football either for that matter.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brilliant comeback. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

I wouldn't want him to choke on it, that's way too harsh obviously. But for the eating of it to prevent him from typing - just to tell us lower beings to shut up and be patient once again - isn't unreasonable, I think.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Premier League window officially starts on 1 July but clubs can sign players from June. Football League clubs can sign players once they play their final game of the season.

So we can sign players any day now.

Carayol and Elliott Bennett* look like surplus players, but they would not be my first choices. (*Norwich have signed Dorrans.)

I do not think we will be prepared to take the loss on transfer fees (amortisation) and high wages for either of them ! Neither are much better than we have already got.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wouldn't want him to choke on it, that's way too harsh obviously. But for the eating of it to prevent him from typing - just to tell us lower beings to shut up and be patient once again - isn't unreasonable, I think.

Thanks, that's nice of you x

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are quite a few clubs without a manager at the moment, which should hopefully stall their recruiting, giving us a chance?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Given in 2012/13 we bought 7 of the 8 additions to squad after end of June and 3 regulars at end of August , and we had quite a good season were we too slow then ? Or did we just bide our time waiting for our preferred targets at the right price or when they became available?

Would our season really have better last year if we had made More of our signings earlier and in June/July rather than August ? Maybe but probably only marginal effect. Surely we picked the wrong players, the newish manager, their form , the existing (weaker than previous seasons) squad far more important as opposed to the date they were signed.

That season we didn't lose the foundation of the team as we did last summer, we didn't sell players like Ulloa, Buckley in the weeks close to the season starting. We also failed to bring back Ward and Upson as the club expected. we failed to replace good players like Bridcutt, Barnes, Lopez, El Abd and Orlandi and loan players of the class of Andrews and Lingeard. So the two summers bare little comparison in my view. The 2012/13 summer we had a good squad already here and we built on it. Last Summer we had a weaker squad and sold to make it even weaker.

Last edited:

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Premier League window officially starts on 1 July but clubs can sign players from June. Football League clubs can sign players once they play their final game of the season.

So we can sign players any day now.

Carayol and Elliott Bennett* look like surplus players, but they would not be my first choices. (*Norwich have signed Dorrans.)

I do not think we will be prepared to take the loss on transfer fees (amortisation) and high wages for either of them ! Neither are much better than we have already got.

If he is surplus to requirements why did they offer & he subsequently sign a 2yr contract about a month ago ???

IMO our first signing is Imminent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here