Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will we complete our first signing of the summer?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Clayton fell Through and so did Ward.

You can dress it up much as you want Last year was appalling. I certainly hope our list of targets are of better quality and we don't drag our heels again. That is exactly what cost us last year.

It's not good enough for a club with over 20k season tickets and a board telling us we are Premier league ready., It's about time we are more competitive especially when competing with other Championship clubs

Great post Spence.

CJ, the greatest unpaid member of the Albion's backroom team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Do you not think that Burke & no continuity of manager cost us more ? I certainly believe it affected our chances of securing who we wanted or more importantly NEEDED.

I think delayed signings of poor quality players was caused by the dreadful Burke / Hyypia duo. This, in turn, led to poor results.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not dressing it up. I agree with you.Ultimately the transfer window last summer was poor one for the club, the targets / signings should have been better, and its frustrating given the money TB spent and for that matter the 3 season tickets and countless pies i cough up for. I trust and hope this season is better. I'm sure O Grady will be able to double his goal tally for starters :)
However i don't agree that it was because "we dragged our heels" ... Our targets were wrong or the targets we landed didn't in the end deliver.
We had a poor season and made most of our 10 new signings in August doesn't mean we had a poor season BECAUSE we made most of our new signings in August. I've said this already haven't I.

Late / poor quality (and these are linked) signings are a significant contributing factor to our poor season IMHO. Add-in one of our worst managers in living memory and, hey presto, you get the disaster that was last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is he unpaid?

I'm not sure. CJ might be working as a freelance undercover agent, or he might be just arguing in his spare time (copyright Python).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
y = f(x1, x2, x3... ...xn)

Where y = points, x1 = Hyypia, x2 = Burke, x3 = player budget, x4 = pies sold, x5 = clackers, x6 = Ron Challis, x7 = Ring of Fire)
You need to divide by complacency and laid back attitude.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have some people never experienced a pre season before? Patience people - it takes time. Still May FFS!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have some people never experienced a pre season before? Patience people - it takes time. Still May FFS!

Do you remember last summer. Be patient, be patient, be patient...

Oh, we're ****ed.

BTW this is my 40-somethingth close-season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do you remember last summer. Be patient, be patient, be patient...

Oh, we're ****ed.

BTW this is my 40-somethingth close-season.

Yep - so at the end of July / beg of August we can moan if not satisfied... Apart from Toko (which was finalised during the previous season) I can't recall us making many signings this early. I agree it would be nice to do all our business early, but there's literally no chance of that. As the club / Barber themselves said at a recent meeting, it often takes one transfer to come off for a whole load of others to happen. So all clubs are relying on other transfers too. It's not as simple as 'we want him - is he available'...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
christmas_time_by_chatgr-d32cpl2.jpg :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well all we can say is that the first signing is one day closer than it was yesterday.

Still hoping that sacking The Berk has injected more urgency into the albion transfer department, but the evidence at the moment is that it's all very much the same as last summer.

Other teams signing players, radio silence from the albion.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As far as I'm concerned, all the 'patient' fans are idiots. Look where that got us last season. I can accept we aren't ever going to be quickest at signings (because regardless of budget we've proved we're a bit crap at it!). But to accept it's entirely reasonable and not necessary bad, well, pass me the pipe. Can I have some of what you're smoking? We're waiting for Chris O'grady types not Messi. Getting signatures earlier than August bank holiday isn't an unreasonable expectation!

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
5th June and I'll go one better and predict it will be a left back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is it true Vydra has been released by Udinese ? ( which presumably means Watford don't want him ? )

If so, we really must go all in to get him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here